Hunting vehicles.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There seems to be some interest in this subject so I figured I'd share mine. It's a 95 Toyota land cruiser, lifted with 35" Toyo mud tires. Arb bumper with a 15k winch. I have custom built rock sliders and skid plates. It has electronic lockers front and rear axles. I've only been stuck once and that was a dry lake bed with no bottom (a story for another time :) ). Moonroof is used for claiming up on top of the roof rack to spot and mobile blind. Also have a remote controlled base for the thermal eye on the roof rack. That lets me pan and tilt from the truck viewing on a 9" LCD screen. Rifles are securely mounted in the big sky roof rack. And of course like all my rifles I spray painted it!!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine for now but I just bought a 92 Toyota 4runner for a hunting rig. It's in a shop getting a new motor. Once it's done and I get it I'll post pics.
IMG_1255_zpsf5ebaece.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This topic is going to get me in trouble, I can see that already! The back seat is up and all my hunting gear rides in it all the time, tool box in the back now has all the tools I might need...lol 04 Dodge Dakota, V8/ towing pkg

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 8

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This topic is going to get me in trouble, I can see that already! The back seat is up and all my hunting gear rides in it all the time, tool box in the back now has all the tools I might need...lol
You still have your back seat!?!? I took mine out years ago! Purely a cosmetic item! LOl

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well at times I have to load it and use it for a city truck, for the wife, you know!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... mine's not so glamorous... but, it's mine. A guy I used to ride motorcycles with had this p/u. He was the second owner. He put gas in it, and it was lucky to get oil changes. For the most part, it sat parked infront of his house most of its life. Well... one day, it wouldn't start for him. He calls me over to diagnose/fix it. I tightened his battery cables and it started. He calls me a couple of weeks later saying it won't start... but, if he does this or that, it'll light off. Suggested he put a starter in it. (Naw, didn't wanna put any money in it). A couple of weeks later, he's tired of fighting it and has me come get it and take it to the Dodge dealership and find out what it's gonna cost to get reliable once again. (No, his legs ain't broke either). Dodge quote $2,700+ to get it right (including a new starter). It had some other minor issues that are common for a 15 yr. old truck. And, I remind him that he could take it to an independent shop and get that same work done for probably $1,500... or, he could go to NAPA and buy about $600 worth of parts and I'd show him HOW to do it, and he'd be good to go. "NOPE, I want a new truck... take me to the dealership." So, he finds a low mileage, 2 yr old truck he likes and writes 'em a check.

So... I asks him... "What'cha gonna do with the old truck?" I reminded him of the quotes, the current blue book value, and ask him what he wants for it. He decided that he'd give it to me. I limp it home and call "nephew" who does the sales of parts to commercial accounts at NAPA and get a smokin' deal on $600 worth of parts.

Starter... fixed that issue. Rotors/pads, fixed the shimmy in the wheel when the brakes were applied, due to the warped ones... while I was at it, new wheel bearings, and new shocks front/rear. Tune up. Oil change, flushed tranny (new filter) and new fluid, flushed clean the diff and new oil/posi additive. Greased all the fittings, oiled all the hinges, new fuel filter. I had $200 left in the $600 budget, added another $200 to it and had the bed liner sprayed in.

Since that time, I've replaced the battery twice (first time the year after getting the truck), replaced the cooling system (again, great deal on parts from nephew), put tires on it, had the rear shoes replaced since they weren't worn out yet when I got the truck, new cat/muffler/O2 sensor, and most recently recharged the air conditioning system. The thing has 178,000 miles on it and just got its second tune up in 8 yrs. of me owning it.

It may be only 2WD, but it's posi, and most "4WD" around here are open diffs front/rear (people don't know any better)... and purrs like a kitten. I can't get extreme with this thing, but, if it's a road, I've been able to travel it thus far. '90 Dodge Dakota with a V6... and about all the comforts of home available in a p/u back then.

Dakota.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RD, nothing wrong with that deal at all and looks good too!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's even purdier now... I just buffed/waxed it two days ago. Oh, when I got it... it had green growing on it. Tough OEM paint, it buffed out nicely back then.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like those. All of them !!

Lawman-yours looks like one I saw on a thread on snipershide about African Safaris !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do any of you have commercial sold IR lights for running blacked out. We had some great ones in the Stan. Unfortunately they were not mine and are ITAR regulated. Gotta be some here.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
2001 dodge Dakota

image.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I
I like those. All of them !!

Lawman-yours looks like one I saw on a thread on snipershide about African Safaris !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do any of you have commercial sold IR lights for running blacked out. We had some great ones in the Stan. Unfortunately they were not mine and are ITAR regulated. Gotta be some here.

I have ir filters I put over the lights!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We will have to talk about that at coffee. Lotta mixed comments other places about filters.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Found a Rodeo sport, 2 door, removable top, 2002, 140,000 miles 5 sp, air, 2 sun roofs, 4cyl and 28MPG, it is the old Amigo for $2400, thinking here.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where does one get such a thing? Are they easily removed?
I bought them on eBay I have the glass and plastic filters. I just duct tape them on but never hardly use them anymore. If I was driving long distances fast across the desert or something they would be great. But I hardly ever need them and when I do I just hold an it illuminator out the moon roof.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Dakota is easier to get in/out of... you should just trade me now. LOL Love that truck !

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah RD and our camper is right there in the background!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that snow I see around that ram?