Hunting Florida WMA areas

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Need to be careful, a person could enter Green Swamp and never be heard from again.
Also known as The Green Mile.

Drift

LSB Member
I strongly recommend snake boots in Green Swamp WMA. Maybe add snakeproof chaps and even gloves. Best to bring a buddy as well. And did I ever tell the story about the time a small gator grabbed me by my brand new boot and ruined it there? I haven't been there in 20 years; and it wasn't as bad as the Darrian down in Panama, but it was hot wet and buggy.

jglass

LSB Member
I did not know Homosassa has a 5K acre WMA. Some of the WMA is only 2 miles from the RV resort I stay at. I have been reading and reading the WMA hunting rules. Sometimes I need to reread the rules multiple times to get all the details. For example I read during small game season rim fire ammunition must be used. I'm thinking, Hmmm, a 22 magnum on hogs??? Finally read during small game season rifles must be rimfire, but shotguns and pistols can be used. Finally got the WMA permit figured out. For $22.50 I can hunt all the WMA's, not a bad deal. No hunting license if hunting hogs. Also no bait and no hunting at night with guns, bummer

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some years ago I started hunting Escambia River WMA,during small game season,with my Deasert Eagle 44mag. Had a warden that never heard of that and had to call in and check on the legality.
Next year had a warden try to tell me that my pistol was illegal because the mag had a capacity of more than 5rds.
Point is . . . KNOW THE LAW . . . and be prepared to explain it to the people whose job it is to enforce the laws.
If you are going to hunt hogs in a WMA,I suggest that you invest in a good pistol. Take a look at the 10mm chamberings. Now I use a Glock 20 because of the higher capacity. The Double Tap brand of 200gr WFNGC really slays 'em.
Where I hunt the vegitation s so thick that there is no need for a rifle.
Good Huntin' --- pruhdlr DSC00717.JPG

jglass

LSB Member
Some years ago I started hunting Escambia River WMA,during small game season,with my Deasert Eagle 44mag. Had a warden that never heard of that and had to call in and check on the legality.
Next year had a warden try to tell me that my pistol was illegal because the mag had a capacity of more than 5rds.
Point is . . . KNOW THE LAW . . . and be prepared to explain it to the people whose job it is to enforce the laws.
If you are going to hunt hogs in a WMA,I suggest that you invest in a good pistol. Take a look at the 10mm chamberings. Now I use a Glock 20 because of the higher capacity. The Double Tap brand of 200gr WFNGC really slays 'em.
Where I hunt the vegitation s so thick that there is no need for a rifle.
Good Huntin' --- pruhdlr]

The rules read like this: Hunting with full automatic firearms, centerfire semi-automatic rifles having a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds, explosive or drug-injecting devices and set guns is prohibited.

Florida rules are so varied and confusing I'm not surprised the wardens don't know all of them. When I hunt WMA's I'll have a copy of the rules with me. I'm constantly approached by people at the RV resort telling me about Florida laws. I tell them I go strictly by what is on the Florida web page and if need be I'll take that information with me to court.