Hunting Florida WMA areas

jglass

LSB Member
The last several years I have reading up on hunting Florida's wildlife management area (WMA) for wild hogs. The way I understand it bait is not allowed, hunting at night is unclear but light are not allowed, and during small game season you must use rim fire guns only. During deer season other weapons are allowed.

What are the odds of a successful hog hunt on the WMA areas? Fortunately I lease private property in Florida but what if I loose my leased property and the WMA areas are my only option for hunting?

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I lived in FL from 2002-2008. I looked into hog hunting on WMAs on several occasions, but never found it a suitable option. I haven't looked at the rules since I left, but they way they were written back then didn't make hunting hogs at night very easy.

Probably the biggest issue I saw was the pressure the WMAs received from hunters. During deer season, the vlast place you would find me was a WMA. Too many hunters, gunshots every 10 seconds, and hunters with zero respect for other hunters.

I'd look for the most remote WMA you can find. Spend some time learning about the number of hogs on the WMA, and hunt the most remote part of the WMA you can reasonably access.

Be careful out there. We found several suspicious campers when we rode dirt bikes at the Ocala National Forest. Found out from one of the rangers that the WMAs were becoming a favorite place for meth labs.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have only hunted three of the WMA's that are located in extreme NW Fla. I have also spent quite a bit of time in Eglin AFB which is run similar to a WMA.
There is a broken season. One break isbusually at the start ofbthe rut. (HUH ?????)
No night hunting.
No baiting of any kind.
There are chambering rules.
There are mag capacity rules.
There are bullet type rules.
You must wear orange.
If you put up a ladder stand or use a game camera there is a great chance it will be stolen. There are extra fees inbolved.
It is an all around PITA. Stay in a private club. Join another club. Lease from a farmer.
Most hunting accidents that happen in Fla are in a WMA. My opinion . . . . stay clear of them. --- pruhdlr

jglass

LSB Member
WOW, Interesting. I hunted ducks and geese on the upper Mississippi River because it was all public hunting.
It was a very large area however. Some areas like the one due West of Chicago drew large numbers of hunters from the Chicago area. Most of those guys were pretty upstanding fellows but there are always plenty of bad apples in the bunch. Some were very aggressive and inconsiderate. Then the Federal Fish & Wildlife Service said we could no longer have permanent blinds after having them for 75 years. This resulted in hunters venturing out early in the morning to claim their favorite spot and this resulted it fighting and arguments by sunrise because you discovered everyone was setup to close together. My partner and myself had a nice duck blind with a roof and benches for 30 years then were forced to hunt from our jon boat. The rules were if you were not in your blind by a certain time anyone could use it. I thought it was a good system. I finally gave up hunting altogether until last year when I started wild hog hunting in Homosassa Florida. I pray I don't loose my private lease because that might be the end.

The picture is my wild hog blind patterned after a duck blind. 4 X 8 and 8' off the ground.

Attachments

• blind inside.jpg
    blind inside.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 12

Drift

LSB Member
The odds of success on the Avon Park Bombing Range are pretty high. But it is a PITA. The rules are such that you will probably have to walk a few miles in and a few miles out. It's not like you can just do your own thing.
Why not hunt closer to home?

jglass

LSB Member
Why not hunt closer to home?

I'm looking into that but I'm already spending the winters in Florida and hunting one mile from the RV resort.
Some states have expensive nonresident license fees. Cheaper to drive the extra distance to Florida where I don't need a hunting license for hogs. I have looked at some hog hunting outfitters is Arkansas that would be do-able.

I'm open to suggestions though.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any particular part of Florida you're looking to hunt?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have hunted several properties to the west of hwy98. From Otter Creek all the way over to Cedar Key. Absolutely tons of hogs.
All along the Suwannee River is also hog "mecca". --- pruhdlr

jglass

LSB Member
I have hunted several properties to the west of hwy98. From Otter Creek all the way over to Cedar Key. Absolutely tons of hogs.
All along the Suwannee River is also hog "mecca". --- pruhdlr

Always heard Cedar Key was "Hog Heaven". How difficult would it be to find hog hunting gr0und around Cedar Key? I checked into Tiger Island Outfitters near Cedar Key because they do hog hunts. I would like to just find a piece of ground to hunt on.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Coming north out of Cedar Key on 24,stay to the left on 347 going towards Chiefland. Tons of places to hunt on that long,lonely road.
As I remember several outfitter signs also along the way if that is your preferance. The gotta haves are snake boots and/or chaps and a close range heavy hitting,short,light carbine. I used a Rossi/LSI 16" lever gun chambered in 454Casull on my trips. --- SAWMAN

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nope . . . gotta ask/have permission in Fla. Tresspassing with a firearm is a felony.
On that drive you will not find many farms with pastured livestock and most places have somewhat large gardens. The untended property has thick vegitation and is covered with small,spring fed ponds. HOG HEAVEN!!
I was taking the shortcut back to Pensacola after fishing out of Cedar Key for several days. I just stopped at several of the farms and got landowner permission. I hunted that area for several years until the drive got to be too long. One old black man gave me full access to his place if I would give him the dead hogs. He had a huge family that would use every oz of meat that I would supply to him. They just did not have the money to buy guns and ammo to hunt the hogs.
I killed 9 one year in a period of three days. And that is daylight hunting only. It is hard to imagine what I could do now . . with my thermal. --- pruhdlr

jglass

LSB Member
Interesting..... I have 3 letters ready to go in the mail bound for the Cedar Key area asking permission to hunt their property. See what happens.

LSB Active Member
The last several years I have reading up on hunting Florida's wildlife management area (WMA) for wild hogs. The way I understand it bait is not allowed, hunting at night is unclear but light are not allowed, and during small game season you must use rim fire guns only. During deer season other weapons are allowed.

What are the odds of a successful hog hunt on the WMA areas? Fortunately I lease private property in Florida but what if I loose my leased property and the WMA areas are my only option for hunting?
I have a buddy who has enormous success out at the green swamp wma he is like daniel boone guy is the best hunter i've ever met. he also hunts on private land in georgia and alabama and kills more huge deer than i could dream of....not everyone can do what he does i couldn't carry his gym bag, but there is plenty to be killed in the green swamp if you bring the requisite skills. i for one am glad i'm on a teed up lease!

jglass

LSB Member
I have a buddy who has enormous success out at the green swamp wma he is like daniel boone guy is the best hunter i've ever met. he also hunts on private land in georgia and alabama and kills more huge deer than i could dream of....not everyone can do what he does i couldn't carry his gym bag, but there is plenty to be killed in the green swamp if you bring the requisite skills. i for one am glad i'm on a teed up lease!

I checked into Green Swamp WMA. It is actually closer to us than Cedar Key. Reading the rules Green Swamp has a general gun season that extends through January which is good. Most WMA areas have general gun season in December only. Can I assume I can use centerfire rifles during this time. Big place, over 50K acres so it should be possible to escape the crowds. Better buy a GPS though.

Letters are in the mail to the Cedar Key property owners. It is a good thing I handle rejection well.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
There are several clubs along 98 between crystal river and otter creek and between cedar key and bronson. While it would be a more expensive option there would be way less regulations than a WMA.

That whole area is loaded with hogs.

jglass

LSB Member
There are several clubs along 98 between crystal river and otter creek and between cedar key and bronson. While it would be a more expensive option there would be way less regulations than a WMA.
ha
That whole area is loaded with hogs.
Thanks lrtx1, I'm looking for private property around Cedar Key. I already have a lease around Crystal River. I'm looking for alternate options so I can rotate baiting areas on the order of what you are doing.

I'm in Florida from November to March. Right now my tree stand is 5 minutes from the RV resort we stay at. I can get up at 4:30 and be back at the RV before my wife gets up. Similar with evening hunts. I usually hunt the nights she plays card with other women.

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
I checked into Green Swamp WMA. It is actually closer to us than Cedar Key. Reading the rules Green Swamp has a general gun season that extends through January which is good. Most WMA areas have general gun season in December only. Can I assume I can use centerfire rifles during this time. Big place, over 50K acres so it should be possible to escape the crowds. Better buy a GPS though.

Letters are in the mail to the Cedar Key property owners. It is a good thing I handle rejection well.
I wish I knew more about the seasonal particulars, but unfortunately I don't. I've pretty much resolved myself to the reality I will go back to fishing if we lose our lease....more like when we lose it in 3-5 years. It's a time thing.....at least until I retire then I will revisit hunting and driving distances.

jglass

LSB Member

I'm very interested in "Green Swamp WMA". I called Green Swamp for some details. It is a little over 25 miles from Crystal River so I'm going to check this place out regardless to whether I hunt or not. I would like to talk to your Buddy, 437, or anyone else that has been there.
This place is amazing. Need to be careful, a person could enter Green Swamp and never be heard from again. I ordered a set of maps.