How does this trap work?

Discussion in 'Trapping Hogs' started by desmond, Feb 18, 2019.

1. desmond

desmond "runnin' with sasquatch"

I salvaged an old pig trap and have no idea how it works. I have to straighten out the cage and the door and hinge seem to work. There was some old rope in it and I gather rope is used to set the trap? Trap.JPG Trap2.JPG Trap3.JPG Trap.JPG Trap2.JPG Trap3.JPG

2. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

Looks like it's standing on its' back end. What is at the top in the photos is the door. Looks like a swinging door, I think I see a spring to pull and hold it closed. You just need to prop it open and configure a trigger to release it once hogs get in. preferably setting the trigger to the rear of the trap to ensure a hog is all the way into the trap before the door attempts to close.

Or, have I missed the point of your question entirely?

desmond likes this.
  3. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

What he said ^^

desmond likes this.
  4. desmond

Yes, its standing on the back end. So is the concept the pig walks in pushes the rope with his leg moving forward and the rope triggers the spring and the door shuts? So you string the rope so it is a few inches off the bottom of the cage, near the back? And should I use corn as bait and put it in bowl in the back?

5. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

If it's possible, I'd run the trigger rope over the top of the trap toward the back, then bring it inside the trap to whatever mechanism exists or can be rigged to release the door. My opinion is that it's best to lure the hogs to the rear of the trap. That way you don't risk releasing the trap while a hog is only halfway in (preventing the door from closing), at which time they will likely back out and vamoose!

On the subject of luring hogs to the rear of the trap, I suggest baiting the trap all the way in. Don't just put bait at the rear by the trigger, or you risk having a young hog rush in and immediately trip the trap. By baiting the entire length of the trap you can sometimes get multiple hogs to come in before one wanders to the rear to trip the closing mechanism.

desmond likes this.
  6. lonepunman

lonepunman LSB Active Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Free is good, but it looks a little battle worn. A 200 may beat his way out.

You should PM ol' Rattlesnake Dan...he's a mighty welder and I hear he refurbs traps for $10 (travel included).

7. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

I hear he'll also buy you dinner too.

Chopperdrvr, der Teufel and desmond like this.
  8. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Haha I will buy you dinner if you agree to give it away and go get a new one. :D

Chopperdrvr and der Teufel like this.
  9. desmond

You never know "Old POS traps another one" could become a forum regular???

GOPR1480.JPG Barn.JPG Barn3.JPG Barn4.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Ratdog68 and J BAR K like this.
  10. lonepunman

lonepunman LSB Active Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Looking forward to watching the saga unfold.

To be clear, my concern was not the structure’s ability to trap a hog.

It was the ability to HOLD the aforementioned beast.

Ratdog68 and desmond like this.
  11. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I will admit, I have seen the ugliest cobbled together traps you can imagine full of hogs. I used to get a lot of calls to come get trapped hogs from people's places and would laugh at the setup. Maybe the hogs weren't intimidated by their creations?

Curly Shuffle and desmond like this.