Hog hunt this next weekend

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
20150418_011709.jpg Update: Well, we went to the ranch last weekend as planned. I put out half a bucket of watery sour corn late afternoon. The raccoons showed up at dusk. Around 9pm, a huge boar made an appearance which we caught on camera. My buddy was hunting a nearby feeder the next night and the hog showed up there. He saw the hog a few times over a period of an hour, but the smart pig stayed in the shadows and did not present a shot. He told me over the radio that the first time he saw it, it seemed bigger. The hog came back to the corn a bit later and he shot it, dropping it with a .270 Winchester soft point to the shoulder. The hog weighed 172 lbs based on the measurement method. The tusks are 4 inches and sharp as razors. Ironically, we hunted at another area the following night and another very large boar showed up at the site of the previous nights kill to partake in some sour corn that remained. We got that big boy on camera too. Unfortunately, it was now Sunday morning and time to head home. Hopefully that big pig will be around when I return in about three weeks. I will get the pics uploaded to photo bucket and post here. This area is right by his ranch house and not even the Nueces river bottom a few miles away that we would normally hunt. There is no telling what monster hogs are in that area, but there is sign all over the place. Rooting, tracks and piles of what appears to be small horse crap that is definitely from big pigs. This area is hog heaven.......the photo is of me with the pig. It appears to be a 500 lb hog because we wanted to prank the guy who owns the property. I'll post more pics to actual scale. I was standing about 5 ft behind the hog and crouching. However, that is the biggest hog we have run across during our almost 2 yrs of hog hunting.

Last edited:

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I believe the measurements were as follows:

42" girth (behind shoulders)
39" from neck, just behind the ears to the base of the tail

Our calc came out to 172 lbs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heart girth is measured in inches using a cloth measuring tape. The tape is placed directly behind the front legs,
wrapped snugly around the heart girth, and read directly behind the shoulders.

42"=220

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would think that hog weighs more the 172???? He looks like a lean mean fightin machine. That is a dandy of a hog. Nice going on who ever got that one!! will be waiting for the pictures of the bigger ones. Hope you get em!! BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a fine hog there ! Congrats on getting that one on ice.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dang nice hog! Mean looking cutters too. Good job guys.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Heart girth is measured in inches using a cloth measuring tape. The tape is placed directly behind the front legs,

42"=220

We did measure it with a cloth tape, just behind the front legs, then base of tail to base of neck (as my buddy recalled the procedure). If I consider the additional distance to base of ear, the 39" becomes more like 45", and the pig was laying down on it's side so you might assume another 5" of girth needs to be considered. That would put him at 248 +/- !!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Girth Squared Times Length Divided by 400. Or the one that is on one of the discussions and used here is 10.1709 X Heart Girth (inches) minus 205.7492 OINK OINK!!

40inch=200 42=220 43=230 44=240 45=250 46=260 47=270 48=280 49=290 50=300 51=310lbs

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is from Franks post in the contest I do believe
Quick reference estimate of a hog's weight.

Formula used to estimate:

pig weight = 10.1709 x Heart girth (inches) minus 205.7492.

Found to be 95% accurate to within 10 lbs

Using the above formula, we get the following:

40 inch = 200 pounds
42 inch = 220 pounds
43 inch = 230 pounds
44 inch = 240 pounds
45 inch = 250 pounds
-------------------------------
46 inch = 260 pounds
47 inch = 270 pounds
48 inch = 280 pounds
49 inch = 290 pounds
-----------------------------
50 inch = 300 pounds
51 inch = 310 pounds

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Works on humans too! lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah we do not measure the length and the hog weight charts printed on tapes are for domestic hogs. The above chart has been proven to be fairly reliable when measuring feral hogs, it was an extensive test...so 42" measured in the proper location and pulled snug is 220lbs

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
yeah we do not measure the length and the hog weight charts printed on tapes are for domestic hogs. The above chart has been proven to be fairly reliable when measuring feral hogs, it was an extensive test...so 42" measured in the proper location and pulled snug is 220lbs

It was not pulled 'snug' necessarily, so I would say it was an honest 40" girth 200 pounder.
We were high fiving like crazy when we finally approached him. I went up first and checked him, .270 in hand, just to be sure he was done. A quick charge from that pig could have been a real problem.
Thanks for the great info guys. There is one like him still out there and I plan to get him myself.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I would say he is every bit of that, nice hog!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it worked out for ya! Good example of how pics can be deceiving.. but still, nice hog!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Glad it worked out for ya! Good example of how pics can be deceiving.. but still, nice hog!
Yes, we were laughing at how big that hog appeared in the pic. I intentionally stood back approx 4' behind him and put my arm out like I was touching it's back. We did it to prank the landowner.