HD38S or HD19A?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also, you might find the brightness, even at the lowest level, a bit too much. JPK
Thanks. I've wondered if that was just my old eyes.
I'm still fiddlin' with the controls to see what does what and works best. More of the tweaks and such I'd read about when I was doing my research make sense now. :cool: d:^) Jake..

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried the XD19a and the XD38a side by side and went with the 38a. Very much preferred the 2x native magnification. BTW, there's a HD38a on ar15's EE right now with an askign price of $2,250. (No affiliation).

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^^The guy selling it is one of my best friends. He's a solid guy and we've known each other since we were in kindergarten. We pig hunt together a couple times a month.
Then why in the world is he not on LSB??

JPK

LSB Active Member
I promised to post photos of a 19A helmet mounted and also with the 9 f stop neutral filter set up to knock down the brightness, as well as some photos of my PVS 14/3x USGI magnifier/laser "scope" set ups. They are below, in two posts because of a 5 image/post site photo limit. Been deer hunting, which sucks right now. In the lull between rut and "second rut" activity.

19A with Butler Creek cap with the 37mm 9 f stop neutral filter in it, with BC open and closed:
6J5UzvU.jpg

DpegRo6.jpg

KECOSuO.jpg

19A helmet mounted with a PVS 14. The bridge used is an Integrated Technologies dual PVS 14. I used a Wilcox show for a Patrol, drilled out and threaded 1/4" 20 mounted to the 19A via one of the 19A's 1/4" 20 inserts. I works remarkably well. This "fusion" of NV and thermal DOES NOT work and you can only use one of the units at a time. The IT bridge allows either side to swing out of the way.
vMJtqzr.jpg

JPK

LSB Active Member
Second of two:
5.56 set up with PVS 14 weapon mounted via DLoc mount, USGI 3x, LaserMax Uni IR - mounted in front of the front sight because the front sight offers the laser's on/off slide some protection against accidental bumping and turning it on.
dyh4Dsi.jpg

S&W 15-22 with AB Night Vision PVS 14 mount, EOTech, LaserMax IR laser - I don't have the PVS 14 for this one at the moment, it is on loan to a bud who sent his out for an L3 white phosphorous tube. Second photo shows the laser detail, and how the front sight offers it some protection. 3rd shows the GG&G QD mount adapter, which is a pretty neat piece of kit, imo.
wlqEsW7.jpg

SNne2DP.jpg

Wr6c6Xw.jpg

Hope these photos help, or get the juices flowing for some ideas for you all.

JPK

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK, thanks for posting!
I'm looking for a QD mount for my eotech that will return to zero. Does this one return to zero well? It looks pretty low profile too, which would be good. I was looking at the Larue tactical qd mount for my exps-3. Open to options and suggestions.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
19A with Butler Creek cap with the 37mm 9 f stop neutral filter in it, with BC open and closed:
6J5UzvU.jpg

DpegRo6.jpg

Do you remember which size of Butler Creek for the eyepiece on the pulsar? How do you like the image through the filter? Is it a neutral density filter? Is it a ND-8?

JPK

LSB Active Member
Ncorry - It must be an ND8. Part of the label on the filter box is shown in one of my photos and Rocolax doesn't show an ND9 on their site. I had thought it was a 9 f stop filter. If they made a 10 I would recommend it, but the next one up I saw was a 16, which would be too dark.

I don't recall the BC size, but will check to see if I have the packaging or if it is indicated on the cap.

Blakester - The EXPS comes standard a QD mount doesn't it? And it is set up for 1/3 cowitness, right? Mine is an EPS3-0 which has the thumb screw mount as standard and set up for absolute cowitness. I haven't had the GG&G mount long but it earns good reviews. Fwiw, EOTech says the thumb screw is good for 2 MOA repeatability.

The GG&G Accucam mount does not raise the height of the EOTech at all, and my XPS3-0 still absolute cowitnesses with the BUIS's. I have an American Defense version of the Larue and use it on my 5.56 shown in the photo. I works, but it raises the XPS to the EXPS height, maybe a little higher. The raised section on those mounts is to attach a PVS 14 is a USGI mount, and doesn't work well with the DLoc or AB Night Vision mounts. To get that section out of the way for the PVS 14 I am using the mount backward, with that high section toward the front. Works fine that way and I've had the AD mount for a long time, but the G,G&G mount is a heck of a lot slicker set up, especially if you are trying to keep the EOTech at the same height.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Ncorry,

I went down to my game/gun room and double checked the filter, it is a 37mm Rocolax ND8. You can order one directly from Rocolax, and Google will find their site. Delivery takes awhile since they ship direct from Taiwan. I would recommend a 35 or 36mm filter if they made one, but 37mm is the smallest they offer. It is a tight finger press fit, being careful as you work it in. A little lube like dish soap might be a good idea.

Fwiw, they also offer PVS 14 IR filters to protect a PVS 14 against excessive light and mistakes like leaving it on in the truck and they work as sacrificial lenses too. I use 720nm filters on my PVS 14s when the USGI 3x isn't screwed on. I think they're 31mm, but I would have to check to be sure of that. They do cut down performance, and take the performance of my high 28s SNR tubes to about the same as an unfiltered 24-25 SNR tube. Small price to pay for the piece of mind though, and on very dark nights I will take them off to get the best performance.

I looked at the BC and no size is given. Down on the table where I did the work there was a BC package which shows size "10 OBJ" and I'm pretty sure that is the size. A 10 OBJ red lever release style BC cap that was sitting there too. I think I got both and used the one that fit better. And I have noticed that the lever version and the non lever versions often have slightly different fit on stuff. The cap will not stay in place without some adhesive and I used BoatLife marine adhesive and it has held up for a couple of months and maybe six or seven night hunts or deer hunts. I had to remove the Pulsar rubber eye "cup," which ain't much.

I definitely prefer the dimmer view through the filter and if I got another 19A or Pulsar spotter I couldn't dim enough through the controls I would do this improvement in a heartbeat. When I first used the set up I fogged the filter a couple of times, but if you fog it a couple of waves through the air clears the fog, which is only on the outside of the filter.

Since I wanted to keep the option of helmet mounting the 19A I glued the cap to open up, knowing it would mildly interfere with a ball cap, and it does. If helmet mounting doesn't interest you setting the cap to open to the side would be better. Right side if you scan with your right eye, left side if you scan with your left eye. I didn't try down but think it might hit my cheek.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Last edited:

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They also have adjustable Neutral Density (ND) filters that go from 2 to 11 stops. You could fine tune then lock it in with glue of some sort. I got one off Amazon for around $50 I think.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks JPK, I just saw this at work driving to a job site. I also realized that I do not have the EXPS 3-0. I have the xps 3-0 with the side screw mount and 2 moa isn't quite acceptable to me.
I would like the eotech to still work with a rifle mounted PVS-14/usgi 3x rail mounted on the gun behind the eotech but also return to zero within 1 moa if at all possible. I'm not overly concerned with the cowitness, but if I can kill two birds with one stone and get the better set up, that would be nice. I'll have to read more about these mounts and probably refer back to your replies before I fully grasp what my best move is. Sounds like the GG&G mount is what I want for my xps 3-0??
If u can give me a direct short answer to this great, if not, I'll keep researching. Should I sell my eotech xps-3 and buy an exps 3-0? Or should I get a mount for my Xps 3-0, if so which one? If I buy the exps, am I gtg or do I need to buy another better mount?

JPK

LSB Active Member
I am not sure a short answer will suffice.

You should look into the repeatability of the GG&G mount. I suspect it is on par with any of the better QD mount makers, American Defense, Larue, Bobro... But I have not run shoot/remove/replace/shoot drills to confirm that.

Personally, 2moa for an EOTech would be fine with me and but for the hassle of the thumb screw vs a throw lever the thumbscrew would have worked for me.

You should also look into the repeatability of the EXPS throw lever QD mount as well. I will take a look, but I'm guessing it will be the same 2moa of the thumbscrew.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Did a little Googling and the EXPS mount is supposed to be repeatable within 2moa.

The GG&G Accucam mount is supposed to be repeatable within 1/2moa.

I do know that to get maximum repeatability, i.e. minimum shift, you need to mount back in the same slot and be push the optic forward when you swing the lever. I suspect the EOTech standard is without the later step.

JPK

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks JPK, you're the man