HD38S or HD19A?

whitehotmist

LSB Member
For detection at ranges of 300-400 yds or less would the 19A suffice? It doesn't often get below the teens, so the LCD should be fine I'd think. I've seen where other folks say the OLED is a bit better image, but they should both display the same info no? Both display input from the 388x284 sensor on a 640x480 screen.

The 38S is about $800 more than the 19A right now.. If the 38S is that much better for my use then I might go that route, but could use the extra cash on some other stuff (like something for the wife for her birthday ;).

Thanks

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have the 19A and also an HD 50S Apex, which has the OLED screen. The OLED screen is better, but alone is not enough of a reason to choose the 38S over the 19A, IMO. I reach a different conclusion with a scope rather than a spotter, fwiw.

Detecting fox, coyotes, and any larger critter at 300-400yds is no problem with the 19A. Smaller critter too, if they are not partially obscured. Much longer ranges are good too for the larger critters. Pulsar significantly understates actual, in-the-field detection range of the 19A.

The terrain where you hunt might be a better determining factor in your choice. The terrain where I hunt ranges from small tight areas to more open terrain where the next tree line might be half, 3/4 mile or more away. I love the 19A in the tighter areas where FOV is king, I wish I had the 38A or S when I'm hunting the more open areas. I primarily predator hunt and picking partially obscured critters out of a tree line where you are picking the critter's heat return from the return from residual heat in tree trunks and other brush would be easier with the 38S because of the bigger lens, greater magnification and better screen. With the 1x native magnification and LCD screen of the 19A, distant returns right at the tree line can be hard to pick out of the clutter. I hunt with a bud who used to use an MTM 320 unit, which was better than my 19A (and ought to be based on cost) but not by that much, when he upgraded to a 1x 640 OLED spotter the performance differences became really apparent with the ability to differentiate critters at/in the treeline most significant. I think the 38S would make up a lot of the ground compared to his spotter in those circumstances.

Welcome to LSB's. Great bunch of guys here who are very helpful and like to share info and opinions without the vitriol so common on some other sites.

JPK

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got an XD19a. If I had it to do over again I'd go smaller with higher res as long as there were no significant battery issues. That said, my XD19a does it's job ok. I'd just like res more on par with my REAP and a smaller foot print if I could have my d'ruthers. :cool: Jake..

JPK

LSB Active Member
I miss my Patrol for the same reasons Schneeky. But that or something like it is in a whole 'nother price range.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got an XD19a. If I had it to do over again I'd go smaller with higher res as long as there were no significant battery issues. That said, my XD19a does it's job ok. I'd just like res more on par with my REAP and a smaller foot print if I could have my d'ruthers. :cool: Jake..

Q14 might be what you want. Mine is smaller and lighter than a pvs-14 and with the 2x magnifier its an effective rifle scope.

JPK

LSB Active Member
A Q14 would be a really nice spotter, but, like the Patrol, it is another much higher price range compared to either the 19A or 38S.

I have been tempted by your ad in the for sale section.

Btw, the Q14 has its own reticle, right? What sort of mount does it use for rifle and helmet?

JPK

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^Yes much different price point.

It has a QD american defense type mount that attaches to the rifle. Same reticles as the Zeus.

It can head mount as well using mum 14 mounts.

It's a pretty cool little critter. Only reason I'm selling mine is to drum up funds to build a thermal drone.

whitehotmist

LSB Member
Yeah, I need to stick in the entry level thermals right now. Was just wondering if for my use it's really worth the extra $800 to go bigger. Pretty much settled on the 19A at this point.

JPK

LSB Active Member
You will appreciate the 19A, I am sure. When I need to double check ID or a distant tree line, I just use my scope. Not perfect but it gets the job done. And for my mixed terrain, as much as I would like the 38A or S for the open areas, I appreciate the 19A's FOV more.

What are you using for a scope?

Also, ********, BigRedDog here on LSB, is a dealer who can set you up, as is UNV, also a sponsor on LSB.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Cool. You will love the thermal spotter! Nothing hides from thermal (or, really, very little hides from thermal.)

Something I've been playing with is a PVS 14 weapon mounted with 3x USGI magnifier, using the laser for the reticle (I have LaserMax UNIMAX IR.) I use the PVS 14 without the magnifier and the QD mounted red dot or EOTech to cowitness the laser to the red dot or EOTech reticle, then remove the day sight and screw on the 3x. Makes for a handy 3x NV scope. You can find excellent condition USGI 3x magnifiers for about $100 if you are patient if it interests you.

Where are you located? Hog hunting or predator hunting or both?

JPK

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK, the pvs 14/usgi 3x/ir laser or eotech is my back up set up. They make a less secure/much faster mount/adapter that screws directly into the 3x that doesn't require you to thread the 3x to the -14. U just snap/press it on the -14 rather than thread it. So if you are wearing helmet mounted -14 and have laser on the gun and need to make a kinda quick shot but still want magnification (or u simply want to add/remove quickly for identification purposes and a more clear view at distance) u can simply push the 3x onto the -14 (much easier/faster than having to thread it in properly in the dark) and use the laser much more quickly with 3x magnification.

I also mount my eotech on the farthest rail slot forward possible. This allows me to also screw in the 3x to the -14 (I don't use the non threaded adapter for this) and mount it on the gun with Dloc behind the eotech making a decent 3x weapon mounted nv "scope". Sometimes the recoil from shooting with the non threaded adapter shifts the angle the 3x is connected to the -14 and messes up your eotech reticle because it is off center/looking off to the side. So when mounting to the gun i need the time to screw it on properly and then set up for the shot or finish the stalk. But for getting a quick magnified view from the helmet or getting a quicker magnified shot with the laser this 3x adapter might be beneficial to you. Sorry I'm terrible at explaining this stuff concisely!

whitehotmist

LSB Member
Have a place to hunt outside of Wichita Falls.. will be hunting pigs mainly, but if it's getting close to quitting and a coyote comes out... I'm still playing with the configuration, but right now I have the PVS-14 behind a 10x scope with an ITAL on the under rail. I also have a 3x magnifier similar to the USGI, it's an old Sony camcorder lens and works pretty good (especially good since I only paid $20 for it off CL). But yeah, the distances I'll be shooting a pig the 3x should be fine. When I go out for yotes I can always stick the scope on there.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where at outside of Wichita Falls? I do a lot of hunting there. I don't have any pulsar products but I have an armasight zeus pro 336 50mm and a standard zeus 640 42mm I might could show you.
I have used a hd38 though and preferred my friends zeus 336 42mm over it. But we use ours to spot out to 800+ yards.

whitehotmist

LSB Member
Out west of Electra.. it's my father-in-law's hunting patch, we do an annual 3-day hunt there at Christmas or Thanksgiving whenever I can get out. I appreciate the offer, but I'll have a unit by then. Will be taking my bird dog around during the day for quail, and doing walk-arounds at night looking for pigs.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where at outside of Wichita Falls? I do a lot of hunting there. I don't have any pulsar products but I have an armasight zeus pro 336 50mm and a standard zeus 640 42mm I might could show you.
I have used a hd38 though and preferred my friends zeus 336 42mm over it. But we use ours to spot out to 800+ yards.

Hey Keaton, How far out can you ID with the Zeus 336 42?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
******** pointed me the right direction towards the 50a. Told me its worth waiting, saving the money and getting the 50a and if I could afford it step up to the 50. I waited.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Keaton, How far out can you ID with the Zeus 336 42?
With a lot of experience using it and knowing the terrain of the land we can ID hogs at 800-1000 yards. It takes a few minutes watching them though. Basically IDing them just by their behavior.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I forgot to mention that a 19A can be helmet mounted. Costs some in parts to get it done but it works pretty well.

Also, you might find the brightness, even at the lowest level, a bit too much. I toned it down with a 9 f stop neutral filter in a Butler Creek cap. 38mm filter size, iirc. I used marine adhesive to glue the BC to the ocular piece. Much better, IMO, plus the ability to close the BC for better light disciple is a plus.

I'll post some photos tomorrow if I can. I think I'm going deer hunting in the pm, if I do photos will have to wait until Thursday. Blakester, I'll post a couple of photos of my PVS 14/3x/laser set up too.

JPK