[GRAPHIC PICS] Quartering a hog without raising em up out of the dirt

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have had requests to build them but have my hands full with other items. I may steal your design and if it works really good I will tell everyone how smart I am. I may even let you see it. lol
I haven't found time either. I hope you guys will apply my idea and fab one up. I know it will work very well. I'm sure it can be improved on too.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How did it turn out? Post some pics. I don't see any mention of "proprietary" ;)

And, you DID "edit" that comment/post about 10 minutes ago. I recall reading that as well. ;>)

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a quick couple pics. Here's a hog I shot last week, pretty nice size, dry sow and quite tasty. But having lived in the mountains most of my adult life I take out no bones, no hide and see no guts. Slice them down the back bone, skin that side, remove meat, flip over and repeat. Takes about 15 minutes and a couple grocery bags and a good size fanny pack or back pack. No dirt, no hair, no blood. I use the same process on deer, elk etc... goes super fast and easy.View attachment 1739 View attachment 1740 View attachment 1741 View attachment 1742
Dan r u getting only the meat on the outside of the shoulder/hind quarter or are u getting the meat between the qtr and the body also?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't get that detailed especially on hogs. As BRD would say, gotta leave something for those pretty bald headed birds.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do get the joint and all the meat, its take alot more work than Dans method and requires skinning the entire ham.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do get the joint and all the meat, its take alot more work than Dans method and requires skinning the entire ham.
I do get all the meat, you just swing up the leg as you go around it to the bone. I was thinking he wanted to know if I was cleaning the carcass, some guys take rib meat, neck etc... to the nth degree. The front leg I don't clean the shoulder blade as well as I could on a hog but on a deer etc.. it gets cleaned good.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so you debone as you go, that is cleaner I am sure

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really want to try one on the ground, it has been a long time since doing it that way, am wondering if it may be easier than hanging due to tension on the joints. and the swinging....Oh my back though...lol
Frank, you may want stay away from quartering on the ground if you get back pains at all. I am still young and can't get through a whole hog on the ground without taking a break. All the bending over kills me. You have the right idea with hanging them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that is why I hang them and by the head, just easier for me...Thanks

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got my first NV hog last week, took the hams, shoulders, and back straps. I hated leaving the ribs and tenderloins, but couldn't lift the 175# boar. I like the idea of the receiver mount, especially extended far enough to drop the tailgate and swing over it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice when they swing and you can load the hog that way, or even butcher him while hanging

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Frank, you may want stay away from quartering on the ground if you get back pains at all. I am still young and can't get through a whole hog on the ground without taking a break. All the bending over kills me. You have the right idea with hanging them.

Same here break needed between sides to rest back. When I can't get truck into field to get hog with lift, I clean em on the ground.