[GRAPHIC PICS] Quartering a hog without raising em up out of the dirt

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I may drive mine a short distance, have drug them with one too, That is why I wanted the foot to be adjustable back up into the bottom section or along the side...sorry not a designer. For that matter I have a small tripod that the legs come off in 1/2 with a winch attached, very light and can be taken to the animal.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I'm thinking about using a chain hoist instead of a winch. I've lifted 3000lb steel beams with a cheap chain hoist so I know that lifting a 500lb hog would actually be easy and the frame I'm designing will handle that load also. The support post to the ground will be retractable too. It will swivel and lock. It will have a stabilizer bar that will tie back to the rear right or left stake hole. That will keep the whole assembly stable while rotating the post and loads are shifting. Sound good?
You, ll be able to drive with it attached also.;)
I'll have a computer model image to post in a few days and then start fabricating. Of course, I'll probably keep the first prototype for myself :D

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah the hoist may work fine..I have caps covering the holes on top of my bed, I bet a lot of folks do

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
oh, well mine is solid, but continue, I have a knife

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need new caps anyway, the previous fool who I bought the truck from used some kind of glue drizzled all over the top rail so I have been less than enthusiastic about replacing them.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Here's the hoist. I haven't priced materials yet, but that's next.
Who is interested? I can post this in another more appropriate forum at this point. I will run some calcs also to verify that it will easily lift over 500lbs. That should more than handle any hog or deer we might run into.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you should be able to hoist enough weight with that to lift the front end of the truck off the ground!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
You bet! It will obviously be heavier than the lightweight frames you can buy online now, but this will do the job in any situation and last a lifetime or two. This thing will be rock solid with a few ratchet straps as stabilizers. I'll calculate the weight of each piece and make sure assembly is simple and easy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It looks pretty heavy. Wonder if you can dual purpose w a truck or free standing?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a quick couple pics. Here's a hog I shot last week, pretty nice size, dry sow and quite tasty. But having lived in the mountains most of my adult life I take out no bones, no hide and see no guts. Slice them down the back bone, skin that side, remove meat, flip over and repeat. Takes about 15 minutes and a couple grocery bags and a good size fanny pack or back pack. No dirt, no hair, no blood. I use the same process on deer, elk etc... goes super fast and easy.Hog down 013.jpg Hog down 014.jpg Hog down 012.jpg Hog down 003.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really want to try one on the ground, it has been a long time since doing it that way, am wondering if it may be easier than hanging due to tension on the joints. and the swinging....Oh my back though...lol

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice write-up

I like your documentation pictures as well

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
be sure to have the winch attached above the pivot point.

otherwise you have to fight the cable when loading

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Has anyone fabricated a truck mounted hoist like my design in this thread? I hope so. Of, course itis for all of us to use as a guide for building one. I have not had a chance yet but plan to build one soon.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You said it's proprietary, and I ALWAYS follow the rules.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had requests to build them but have my hands full with other items. I may steal your design and if it works really good I will tell everyone how smart I am. I may even let you see it. lol