First Double + Hog Drag + New Knife

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been chasing this sounder down for 3 months. They finally decided to play. All I got was a double.
Couple of personal lesson's. Don't use PIP when a sounder shows up. Brain can not commit what to look at or aim. Be patient. I got so anxious waiting for the double. When a semi-double presented itself I swung over hoping to catch both of them. AIM. Don't group shoot. With that large of a sounder there should have been at least 5 down. The cows made it challenging but I could not commit to pulling the trigger with brain being indecisive about looking at PIP and main screen.
Fun hunt none the less.
Got to check out a new hog drag give to me by Brain aka Carpesus.
Got a new knife. it good.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job "Special Ed"!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the double. LOL Love the "Special Ed" on the hog drag too. Everyone needs another new knife.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Congrats on the double!

When things are happening quick I have always found KISS to be a good principle.

I have a Pulsar, and the PIP is nice, and would be helpful on longer set piece shots, like a single hog under a feeder, but only then, IMO.

Love the nickname!

JPK

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the double!
I have a Pulsar, and the PIP is nice, and would be helpful on longer set piece shots, like a single hog under a feeder, but only then, IMO.
JPK

Absolutely Agree!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good work. Did u take the meat on them

Brian, I suggest Knives of Alaska, if u want a good knife to spend a little extra. They have several different ones

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down!! I'm always learning each hunt as well. Happy hunting!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Havalons are great, always sharp and better than most knives. I us a hook blade utility knife to open them up and the Havalon to skin and cut the meat away.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going Ed! I like the new name too. Would you try to show how the drag is made and used a little closer next time you get a chance, please.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave, my buddy, Bryan, up in Minnesota makes these. It was something he designed back when his family raised hogs. It was basically made out of scraps found around the farm, but he said they ended up with one or two in every hog barn. It was the most expeditious tool to have around to drag out a hog that had died, especially one slick with mud or other filth. The design needed to be something that would not slip. Basically, it is just a metal rod that serves as the handle. It is wide enough for two people to pull a hog side X side. Then there is a length of chain welded to the rod and then fed through tubing and welded to the tubing. The tubing is the side that slip-cinches down. You can wrap it around one leg, two legs, the neck, tail, whatever and it won't let go, even if the hog is wet or muddy. I use mine for everything from dragging hogs to lifting them into the back of my truck.

The device is fairly lightweight for what it will do. Unlike log drag cable cinches I have used, the chain won't fray like cable can and the cinch with the chain has a much more secure bite. No cutting is required to drag a hog.

Hog%20Drag%201.jpg

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent video. I think the PIP would, most definitely, screw with my concentration.

Some people like it. Some don't. I like it because it gives you two views and as Ed noted, lets you follow the bigger action other than just where you are shooting. It allows a bit more situational awareness while zoomed, which is pretty cool.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Some people like it. Some don't. I like it because it gives you two views and as Ed noted, lets you follow the bigger action other than just where you are shooting. It allows a bit more situational awareness while zoomed, which is pretty cool.

Do you use it when you are trying for more than a single?

Also, have you tried the chain drag on deer or other critters?

JPK