DVR with sound??

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do not believe either of these units has a built in microphone, they require external audio to come in via RCA or miniplug connections, they will process and containerize the file to (AVI / MPG / Etc) but standalone no audio capability.

HTXH
you're right they both only have audio in ports and no on board mic. If you are already using a video cable is it that much more difficult to run a mic and mount it on the rifle? of course the 2 wires would be taped together or even heat shrinked together (esentially making 1 cord) to keep from getting twisted and snagged and such.

I am sure a small mic could be rigged on a 1" scope mount in a way it would be rail friendly and be protected by the 1"circle.

How far away is everyone trying to record audio from?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What I am figuring out is that more wires = bad thing. The more wires you run, the greater the snag factor of dangly objects.

What most folks are hoping to record are the conversations or commentaries of the hunters and the reports of the rifles.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What I am figuring out is that more wires = bad thing. The more wires you run, the greater the snag factor of dangly objects.

What most folks are hoping to record are the conversations or commentaries of the hunters and the reports of the rifles.

Now I understand... you are looking for a DVR with an internal mic.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That would be best and folks claim to have them that pick up sound while having a camera (scope) plugged into them, but they seem rather obscure when you actually try to find information on them.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Mic can be added I have had mine apart, will stop by radio shack and get mic and add it inside and test it then post some pics.

Hard_ware

Ok got a mic from a old cell phone, very small about the size of a baby aspirin. Had to remove speaker to fit the circuit board and mic.. After the module was made it's three wires to solder in, pwr, gnd and audio out.
dvrwmic_zpsdce868a7.jpg

Here is video of unit with ls64 and osd reticle for weapon mounting :D

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
SO the cast away speaker is on the left with red and black leads and the new cellphone microphone is soldered in with blue wires?

The 3 wire lead accounts for pwr / audio / ground, it would be great if you had a closer photo of the circuit board where you tied each into.

If you don't then I guess I can add to the post when I add in mine....

Thanks,

HTXH

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Oh and your sound quality is 10x better than mine with a splice job into the wire dongle. Good work H_W !

Owe ya dinner in the DFW area when you come through some time for this gem.

Ben

Hard_ware

Welcome
Here is pic of schematic, I used a smd cap from the junk cell phone I don't know what value it was, it was just a small spec :D

dvrmicaddon_zps0744e57a.jpg

dvrmicaddon_zpsb4a8340b.jpg

to rifle proof this unit, removing the motor that vibrates, and filling both sides of the circuit board with silicone rtv or potting compound and squeezing it together then letting it dry will help any shock damage from recoil, or having it hanging in a pouch from a small string also isolates it from the shock.

Last edited:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Welcome
Here is pic of schematic, I used a smd cap from the junk cell phone I don't know what value it was, it was just a small spec :D

dvrmicaddon_zps0744e57a.jpg

dvrmicaddon_zpsb4a8340b.jpg

The bottom photo where you have depicted grnd and pwr, is that where you tied into ? The blue wire leads look like they are soldered into other points, much like the blue dot for audio?

The surface mount capacitor , is that inline on the pwr lead as depicted by the teal rectangle in the schematic?

Thx

Hard_ware

Yes photo has better tie points. I used them for final hookup. Keep in mind the external audio is in parallel with the internal mic at this point. So any talking or noise will be recorded even if using the cables audio connection. The teal part is a resistor 10,000 ohms (known as 10k) 1/8watt will work standard size is 1/4watt the capacitor is c1 .1 micro farad.

here is a drop in ready to go http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=438

Last edited:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Yes photo has better tie points. I used them for final hookup. Keep in mind the external audio is in parallel with the internal mic at this point. So any talking or noise will be recorded even if using the cables audio connection. The teal part is a resistor 10,000 ohms (known as 10k) 1/8watt will work standard size is 1/4watt the capacitor is c1 .1 micro farad.

here is a drop in ready to go http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=438

Thanks for the link !

It'll keep me from tearing apart all my old cellphones.

I went digging around in my last phone and did not hit paydirt, apparently the mic is an onboard variety.

I felt cool for about 10 mins trying to walk in your tech shadow and then no mic = no joy :oops:

I will order the separate mic and let yall know how it goes.

Ben

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Go to ebay and buy one of these for about 5.00 delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270876963792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cut the black MALE plug off and wire/solder it to a standard 9V battery plug with wires and plug your 9V battery.
Make sure to check your polarity
When you need to power it up, plug the black male plug into the red female and it's on.
It already has an white RCA jack on it so this plugs directly into your audio in on the Angel Eyes.

This is very similar to what comes with a kit that is sold on ebay for recording with the N550.

The mic costs 5.00
The battery harness runs about a buck for 3 at radio shack or cut one off anything - just check polarity.
A 9V runs about 2 to 3 bux and will last a lifetime on this system...
So, about 10.00 total.
Since it's wired, you could set the mic on the edge of the stand so it's ready.

Last edited:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Vern, i kind of have the setup rigged up with the external mic right now. The sound quality isn't as good as I thought it'd be, something I attribute to the 6 strands of copper wire in the Angel Eyes wiring and also to the inability to clip the mic in a spot that captures audio ahead of the gun and at the shooters spot.

The thing I like about Hard_Ware's mod is the sound quality and you click record and don't have to manage with 9v and mic placement etc etc etc...

Good points on the mic setup though because I am sure that when I kill my DVR trying to solder into it some people might say "hey what a dummy. how can we get sound without going inside the DVR".

:)

HTXH

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The other issue at hand is that the extra external microphone means an extra external bunch of wiring to deal with, get tangled with, etc. A lot of my hunting isn't from the stand and even then, wires are a definite encumbrance...hence the mic as part of the DVR.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well, dang... I gotta have audio now too???

Oh yeah, all the COOL KIDS have audio on their UToob videos!
Unfortunately, most of the time, it's some "ass rock" to make it that much "cooler" so I turn that crap down anyway....LOL!

I hope my belches, farts and an occasional "oh fudge" don't make the cut..dammit, now I got to buy a beeper!

And as for wires, design analysis of the PWB and mounting in the Angel Eye DVR says it won't take recoil so it won't get mounted on the rail on the DigiSight.
Therefore, I have at least one wire running from the DVR to the DigiSight so I can tag another wire along.
If I am stalking, I will parallel the mic with the vid wire and secure with double sided velcro or just not worry about it.
If I am using my blinds, I set the DVR on the laptop shelf and drape the mic out the window.

The bottom line still remains the same: if it's a dead pig or video, dead pig wins!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The bottom line still remains the same: if it's a dead pig or video, dead pig wins!

Yeah, and that is why that despite having video capabilities, I miss out on a lot of video opportunities. The issue isn't pig or video, but if there is enough time to video shooting the pig, assuming that in the excitement that DVR is remembered.

I carry my Angel Eye onboard in a buttstock pouch, not hard mounted on a rail. It handles recoil well there as as some freedom of movement to dampen the impact of recoil on the unit. This avoids the dangling DVR hanging from my rifle whilst changing windows in stands or having the wiring snag if trying to carry the unit in my pocket whilst stalking.

The notion of audio is neat. I have always liked Ed's commentaries, but he has a cool sort of radio voice. Me? Not so much, but that is reality.