DVR Issues

chthump

LSB Member
Texas Lawman, I purchased a DVR for a Zeus thermal scope and I think I'm past the learning curve with the DVR, but now, when I record , there's sound, but no video, I make sure the external switches are set correctly, but I'm still getting the audio, but no video. I'm running a Zeus 336 with an external battery pack. When I switch the DVR on, it appears to work. Just wondering if you've experienced anything similar? Really ticking me off, I've got some great sound recordings of some neat shots, but no video. I shot a coyote off the top of a round bale at around 200 yards, flipped off the back, ran home, fired up the video, nothing but noise. I have recorded several hunts that worked fine, but I'm wondering if it may be the battery pack/ video cable.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you changed cables since you had good recordings and now just sound? Really sounds like a cable is wired wrong.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which DVR is it the MDVR??? My problem has always been bad card or cable but I end up with all or nothing never just sound. Do you look at the screen before shooting I always look to make sure the unit is getting a signal. If the DVR is showing the image on the screen It may be somthing wrong with the dvr?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cable connection and cards can be an issue. My recorder unit only prefers one model of card over the others. So get in the practice of downloading as soon as possible.

Biggest nemesis is cable use, wear and abuse. Check your contact points if you have to wiggle cable to get feed. I'd send the unit back ASAP if still under warranty.

chthump

LSB Member
Yes, its the MDVR, worked perfect, then I learned about the "lock" switch, checked that box, then it started intermittent with the video, but was recording audio. Then no video. I changed to the internal battery and the supplied Zeus cable and it videos fine in my office. I guess its the cable on the $293 extended battery pack I purchased, last month. That works out to about $30/per video, I thought ammo was expensive.

Going to add "verify screen video" to my pre-hunt checklist.

I'm more ticked off about not getting the video of the coyote getting shot off the top of the round bale.

My problem with the internal battery is I've had the thermal shut off from recoil, but that was probably "user error". Only happened once, on a hunt, no lights, with a little adrenaline pumping (1st coyote with thermal). Appreciate the input. Got to be the cable.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I feel your pain I have lost over half of my kills to various issues. Video is hard enough without the great outdoors at night added to the mix. The recoil was probably a battery moving I have not experienced that one yet.

chthump

LSB Member
TLM, What setup are you using to video. I mostly have used your suggestions and am quite pleased with the setup. I've got the external battery pack with the video out cable connected to the MDVR, but its starting to show a little sign of weakness. Was wondering if your running similar equipment?

I need a wireless, video out, to capture video on a small recorder not attached to the rifle (dreaming).
Lets see, I have a thermal, ext.bat.pack, mdvr, cables, on/off switch, suppressor, bipod. I look at my rifle and it makes me laugh and shake my head in disgust at the same time.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the Mdvr and a couple of lawmates I have not used the battery pack. The cables are the weak link I had Dave here make me some custom stronger cables.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I had a dvr problem last night. The dvr worked fine at first and then I pressed the "off" button to turn it off. I use a rubber band to hold my dvr battery cover on (I broke it the first time I touched it) so I have to move the rubber band out of the way to push the on/off button. After that when I tried to turn the dvr on, it would start up and then shut down. I pulled the batteries out and put them back in and no joy. The dvr was down. When I got back to the house I could see that somehow my manipulations had moved the cover off the memory card which was out of its socket. So yes, night does matter, I couldn't see that out in the field at night. This is the stock delivered dvr for the apollo. I figure I'll run this one into the ground while I climb the dvr learning curve and then get a real one :).

chthump

LSB Member
Just started a conversation with Dave, he's going to make me a couple of cables, going to try and talk him into checking out my battery pack cables, maybe he can toughen up a little bit.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Didn't read this til now, yep most likely the cable....

Let me say something about the UNV cables, he uses a 3 pole cable, which I'm confused, it works, most of the time, however the A/V in port is a 4 pole, not a 3 pole connection.

All these DVRs use the 2nd and 3rd pole from the tip. The second pole is video, the 3rd is ground. One thing with all these DVR's, the more you plug and unplug, the weaker the connection gets.

At the Armasight I remedied the connection by making it stronger and lower profile. I also put good connectors at the DVR end, much stronger.

chthump

LSB Member
Dave, just received my cables, connection feels much stronger than the factory, length is perfect. Now for some pig videos.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Actually that is the first gen DVR from Armasight, there is another after it, I don't believe they market either anymore...the other issue with them, they only record video, no audio.

If you want a DVR, let me know. On the Zeus or Apollo, there are some horizontal lines that show up in the video, some it doesn't bother, others like me it does. Many of the people on the forum are using the cables I built. They have a filter I designed to get rid of the horizontal lines. chthump above just received a couple I built, TLM uses them, Brian uses them, you can see their video's here. TLM just got the cables, always look forward to his video's and technical articles/videos/information as he and the others have great experience hunting.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Will the armasight recorder work with my newer Thor 8pin?

Or does someone make a cable that works with mynCVR640

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
No, it needs to be rewired. Both use the same ground, but they use different video pins.

The CVR640 I believe uses the same video input I believe as others. Can you post pictures of the video cables that came with it? I need to see if they are 3 or 4 pole, 2.5mm or 3.5mm.

I can build a cable for you. I have the 8 pin connectors, but I may need your cables to ohm out to be sure.

I can also hook you up with a complete dvr and cable if you don't already have one. The DVR has a built in mic for audio.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave I would for sure be intersted in a custom cable or two for the CVR640. Attached is a picture of the jacks this short cable is made for the cvr640 to pulsar HD38S thermal mono. I would like a short custom cable similar with 8pin connector on one end for the THOR. This cvr640 attaches to the rail on the Thor. The cvr640 is not be best recoil wise 223cal and below or you kill them in less than a year every time. They do record good and are easy to use plus only a couple of oz's in weight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
got your PM will respond

interesting, the CVR640 uses a 2 pole connector, if you have a digital caliper, measure its diameter, appears to be 3.5mm

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Flir-D-Lee will now also have some better video, built him a custom cable for his Apollo for use with his MDVR:

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
[quote="DaveABQ, /quote] Hey I have one of the Armasight dvr's & an external battery pack. I can only use one or the other at a time, Do you have a way to redo the cables so I can use both at the same time? Also Just tested the dvr out with my new .308 rem 700 bolt gun. The dvr went off and turned back on when I fired the gun. Is there something I can do about that? or is the recoil just too much for the dvr?