Decent weekend

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was invited by Fanninland to come out to his place and do some hunting this past weekend. Turned out to be a decent weekend even with the heat. I normally don't shoot coyotes but it was a 150 mile drive to get there so I was going to find as many targets as possible. Place is around 2,000 acres and the largest part of it has 100 head or more of cattle on it. Didn't take many pictures because forgot to charge may camera but I got a couple with my phone and so did Chris.

First night I hunted alone and about 15 mins into the first field this fella came out. This field has seen some major damage. I didn't even have time to get out of the truck. Being left handed has its advantages. Gun on the mirror and DRT. I watched him for a minute to make sure he was down. Put the rifle up, grabbed my thermal spotter(W-1000) and a coyote is making a b-line for my pig. Got the rifle out again, on the mirror and another one bites the dust. So I am 20 mins in, and dead hog, dead coyote and never got out of the truck. Boar measured 46" or 260 lbs.
IMG_2684_zpswaiporzi.jpg

IMG_2685_zpsbamz89z3.jpg

IMG_2687_zpsccqsdqda.jpg

Then I headed up to the north end by the cattle to check another damaged area. I sat there for some time and then the cattle starting getting irritated. Checked in there direction and 2 yotes were coming in hot. I had to wait for a clear shot due to the cattle but was able to get one of them. One shot at 100-125 yards.

I then made my way back to the first set and after about and hour I spotted another coyote walking down the tree line. This was a 150-175 yard shot and again another tally mark. That was it for tonight.

The next night Chris made it out to hunt with me. He wanted to go check to other fields. Upon arrival to the first we noticed that it was corn that had been shredded. It looks like it didn't make so the farmer was destroying it. The large field was no match for the W-1000 and in the corner PIGS, about 6. As we were stalking up on them Chris heard something. We turned around a parallel to us about 30 yards away was a 150-180 pig jogging down to join the party. He went right by us. We get to about 100 away and were hurried with the shot because they were heading back into the woods. By the time we were ready only one was in the field. Ready, 3,2,1 bang and all the sudden they all came back out and running every direction. Problem was they were running in the corn and couldn't get good shots. We got 2 confirmed and 95% positive that the 3rd was just inside the woods.

Then off to the other field were we spotted a single hog. Got to with in 50 yards and got ready. I asked are you ready and Chris replied yes. I started 3, bang. I didn't keep my booger picker of the trigger. Bad thing was I wasn't even on target so piggy is off to the races but he shortly slid to a stop.

That was the weekend. 4 pigs, maybe 5 and 3 coyotes.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome. Smacking song dogs is a fun bonus!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those pesky errant booger-hooks ! Sounds like way too much fun for one weekend. Nice chootin'.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun weekend for sure!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you guys, fighting the heat and getting out there! that first one is a boss hog!!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looks like a great weekend
and a great boar!!

did you use the LR ?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looks like a great weekend
and a great boar!!

did you use the LR ?

I used the LWTS but we did get the LR out and mess around with it. No illuminator and scope up to 15X I could count leaves on the tree line 523 yards away. Awesome piece of equipment!!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a good weekend ... first time seeing you post a hunting report!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a fun weekend. Nice work

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a good weekend ... first time seeing you post a hunting report!
The fields I normally hunt were no good this year. The farmer had to plant so late then it flooded with all the rain. I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks but he thinks it might be a total loss. Plus I don't like typing much!!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent write up hd, thanks for posting. Glad you made the drive out as I certainly enjoyed the opportunity to hunt with a like-minded hunter who has so many badass toys. Only negative is now my "wants" list got longer, lol.

I haven't hunted corn fields until now, since we usually grow coastal bermuda hay, wheat & soybeans. So the corn the tenant planted on the land we leased out should keep us entertained for a while longer. Per Eric's suggestion I revisited it two nights ago and found this fella munching down about 150 yds inside the gate.

image.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holy cow! That's not a snout on that beast... that's a TRUNK ! Nice shot.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thankya sir. He did appear to have some aardvark in him, didn't he?
I should disclose that my son piled up the kornkobs for cinematic effect....

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work Sir. I'd come hunt it with this weekend but I'll be heading to Galveston for some fishing.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not a problem. We'll hold down the fort until ya get back up here. Have a great trip to the coast.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice!
The fields I normally hunt were no good this year. The farmer had to plant so late then it flooded with all the rain. I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks but he thinks it might be a total loss. Plus I don't like typing much!!

Same happened here to me in South Texas, have not been out in months. Nothing planted that survived the flooding and fields are full of tall weeds, so spotting critters is hard. I am heading to Norman OK Aug 17 thru Sept 5 for training and planning to drive back to Texas for some hunting on the weekends.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog, wow what a snout!