Crowebar. (Night Walker)

Crowebar

LSB Member
Hello from Mississippi ,

Crowebar new member here. Just been doing the night time thermal thing about two years now. I really enjoy a brisk 4 mile walk with my pet blackout and thermal equiptment. So far I've been out 4 nights in a row without even turning on a visible light. Glad to be on here to be able to bounce some questions off some of you in the future. Glad to be on the sight.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Crowebar, Merry Christmas and welcome. You'll find some great guys here that are into their night hunting. Maybe not so much today though. Have fun.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Merry Christmas and welcome! Do u shoot suppressed/subsonic with the blackout on hogs

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Merry Christmas, and welcome to the site.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you found us and Welcome!!

Crowebar

LSB Member
Yes and yes to both questions. I'm a supressor junkie who dabbles in all things class3. Merry merry Christmas to all. I'm sure I'll be stalking in a night or two. But today belongs to my great wife and kids. God bless and when I slow down ill report back with some strung up pork.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well we are picture and video junkies here, there is a Large Boar contest, a kill counter thread and kill pic thread, so check them out!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, and Merry Christmas.

Crowebar

LSB Member
Yes, to the suppressed and subsonic question. I have a real class 3 weakness. I love to hunt at night and don't alert the neighbors. I prefer supersonic but I can make do with subs. If you shoot then enough they are just as good as any. I like to shoot(a lot) and at long distances. I'm just learning the .338 lapua. So far just a doe or two but both at 1000 plus.
Glad toBe here to ask some questions to people with more thermal experience than me. Be patient with my questions ,they may seem elementary to y'all but remember that I'm learning. I'm usuing a couple of flirls64s and a pair of rs64s I also have an Ampas-15lrws that I'm trying. It is frustrating because I don't understand how to change the margins after I have sighted it in. Reticle is in the low rt corner. Some have said shim it but I'm not satisfied with that answer. Anybody knows any better let me know. Now the rest of today is all about the kids and hunting with family. God bless and Merry Christmas

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How does the 300 do subsonic on say 150 lb hogs at say 75 meters? Are u limited to head/ear shots? Also what bullets do u use for this scenario and how much penetration and expansion do u get from them? Sorry for all the questions, my brother is going to set up his trust and get a .30 cal can and thought a suppressor would be a little quieter even with supersonic loads.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that would be a hoot to take an animal at 1000+ yards, I would say they did not smell you, no scent control needed!

Crowebar

LSB Member
Yes, to the suppressed and subsonic question. I have a real class 3 weakness. I love to hunt at night and don't alert the neighbors. I prefer supersonic but I can make do with subs. If you shoot then enough they are just as good as any. I like to shoot(a lot) and at long distances. I'm just learning the .338 lapua. So far just a doe or two but both at 1000 plus.
Glad toBe here to ask some questions to people with more thermal experience than me. Be patient with my questions ,they may seem elementary to y'all but remember that I'm learning. I'm usuing a couple of flirls64s and a pair of rs64s I also have an Ampas-15lrws that I'm trying. It is frustrating because I don't understand how to change the margins after I have sighted it in. Reticle is in the low rt corner. Some have said shim it but I'm not satisfied with that answer. Anybody knows any better let me know. Now the rest of today is all about the kids and hunting with family. God bless and Merry Christmas

Crowebar

LSB Member
How does the 300 do subsonic on say 150 lb hogs at say 75 meters? Are u limited to head/ear shots? Also what bullets do u use for this scenario and how much penetration and expansion do u get from them? Sorry for all the questions, my brother is going to set up his trust and get a .30 cal can and thought a suppressor would be a little quieter even with supersonic loads.
The subs are ok for a low rib shot on all hogu under 150lb. May require a little body search afterwards but give them extra time and they should be close. I'd rather do the head/neck shot on them. I urge you to blay with them. Vertical difference on mine is +2 inches at 50 is dead on at 75 and minus 3 at 100. Shooting a 208 amax around 1030/ muzzle

Crowebar

LSB Member
The subs are ok for a low rib shot on all hogu under 150lb. May require a little body search afterwards but give them extra time and they should be close. I'd rather do the head/neck shot on them. I urge you to blay with them. Vertical difference on mine is +2 inches at 50 is dead on at 75 and minus 3 at 100. Shooting a 208 amax around 1030/ muzzle

The Barnes factory loads are what I'm shooting now because a friend gave me a case to play with. They will kill any pig quickly. I always try to recover all that I shoot. Can't help I was just raised that way. I killed close to 200 from May thru October with this bullet.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
have you posted any pictures or videos?

Would like to see what you have shot if that is possible.

Looking for a great thermal unit myself.

Crowebar

LSB Member
I will post some videos in the next month. I have to take care of some deer hunters for the next week or so. I have a new recording device that I'm going to try to use.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can't wait to see them..good luck

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is a Ampas-15lrws?