corn field hogs

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Labor for sure, making the brass lol.

Dan, as far as 270 bullets, the lighter weight bullets, many were designed for the 6.8, not up to date, but u get the idea :

68bullets27s.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is, one of Constructor's creations (***) AR15Performance.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I didn't realize there was a 270AR specific round. That must be new.
Relatively new. This fall will my second full hunting season to have it. There is supposed to be another batch of barrels this fall. I have shot the (you know what out of mine) and am probably about ready for another one.

I rather enjoy the performance that comes at the cost of the 20" barrel. I think it was advertised as about 200 ft./sec faster than the 6.8 with the same bullet. It runs on around 36-40 grains of powder depending on your flavor.

My 120 SST load averages about 2850 ft./sec. Little more juice when its hot out and a little less when its colder. And from my informal observations, this seems to be the maximum velocity for big game use for that bullet, since it is a 6.8 bullet and not a 270 Win bullet.

I think most of the guys are shooting 130 (270 Win) bullets?

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A plethora of poisons. I don't reload so had no idea there were that many options.
After 30 years of making arrows and tying flies I don't do those anymore either.
Nor do I change my own oil anymore lol

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wildfowler, ever tried calling hogs. I learned this from (IMO) one of the best from his own expierances. His cardnial rule was ..... before you can call a hog,you gotta know where they are. If hogs are in a area of corn every night it is fairly easy (yeah,right) to call them out of it. If you see them go into it,or hear them in it(they will put out a lot of noise in corn)this is the place to set up. Do not sit on the edge of the corn but leave yourself 20-50yds to target them when they do pop out.

If you hunt with a buddy,make a plan. Shooting lanes,area's to cover and directions to shoot. Chances are when the shooting starts they will not run back into the tall corn. Use a piglet in distress type of call. Sometimes a fighting boar sound will work.

Remember safety. When they come,things will happen rather quickly. Good Luck --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well, the night of this video there were some piglets that scattered into the tall corn after the shooting. They were sounding back and forth and I tried unsuccessfully to sound back to them by voice to try to get a clear shot.

I just couldn't get them to come close enough and I could only catch glimpses of them through the tall corn. Even though I was 100% certain what the target was, I was uncomfortable shooting without a clear shot. I've got another long video of me trying to do this but don't intend to post this.

I like what you're talking about though.

Last night my buddy and I went back. This was his first time to pull the trigger on a hog so I wanted him to shoot first. He actually just got a scope like mine this week from our local dealer.

I expected the hogs to run back across a short opening into the thick property just north of the corn (into the wind) like they did the first night. But they actually ran back into the corn. We did manage to put several holes in at least one, but came up empty.

Lots of corn opportunities starting right now for a good while. I will probably experiment with calling..

this is all we could find

blood%20trail_zpsfi7omtfc.jpg

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK,like Dan I,am curious to,see ballistic and how,hard it is to get brass and reform? Never done a Wildcat. I bet not as easy as it seems.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
OK,like Dan I,am curious to,see ballistic and how,hard it is to get brass and reform? Never done a Wildcat. I bet not as easy as it seems.

Let me put it to you this way. I'll probably never choose to go through this again with a different wildcat. For me, this was my first wildcat and it was full of frustrations, learning curves, cursing, sleepless nights etc ... etc.

Having said that, I absolutely love this caliber in an AR15 and plan on purchasing a second barrel when they come back in stock. 20" barrel doesn't bother me at all. I don't regret any of it one bit.

if you want to plug something into a ballistic calculator pick a 6.8 or lightweight 270 Winchester bullet and plug in these velocities:

85 grain 3200+
110 grain - 3000
120 grain 2900
130 grain 2800

These are approximate and I've seen guys reporting that they exceed these number by a pretty good bit. I'm personally not going any higher than this.

Magazine capacity is limited to around 8-9 which is my biggest gripe.

Crowebar

LSB Member
That is some really good shooting. It's not enough for those dang deer to run in front of your car, now they are interfering with pig hunting! Glad to see MS on here.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Don't abandon those wildcate. IMO,you just chose the wrong one,especially for your first one. Brass has gotta be an extreme PITA. Bullets,powders,primers,are all the same as ____. There are several non-wildcat wildcats that are great also. 7mm-08,243Win,and some of the Ackley Improved come to mind as does some of the ones that use bigger diameter bullets. By that I'm talkin' >.308".

Also IMO the ranges that most shots are taken at does not equate to a long range chambering. However maybe a speedy one could/would help. The ranges that you will shoot at night is limited by your NVD or thermal and by the need to take a steady rest. Having to shoot from a completely static position is great,however if you move around alot,as we do here,your only rest will be a shooting stick and sometimes a tree. Some of the shots are strictly offhand.

We use 6.8SPCII's or sometimes a 300BLK. If you desire something "bigger" you could go to a 308Win with an adjustable gas block and using H4895 powder could load down by 60%. Then you could up the weight of your bullet to >150gr and move them at 2000-2400fps. Just as long as you picked the right bullet that would open at the reduced vels,which there are quite a few of. Some of the ones that we use for 300BLK would work great at those speeds.

Wildcats are great fun. I have pretty much stuck with the AI's because the brass is so damned easy to make. YMMV --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I answer that question again? I'm not opposed to something like an AI or other wildcat that only involves expanding the neck or re-sizing the otherwise exact parent case into a new cartridge.

I'm not interested in something that requires significant shortening, expanding, neck turning, of the case like this one does.

Honestly, when I got it, I thought I could simply order a power trim die from Ch4d and do most of the heavy lifting with my Dillon power trimmer just like I make Blackout brass with.

No Dice. According to Dave ( I think his name is Dave) There's too much to trim off for his power trim dies to work correctly. I was committed to seeing this through but don't want that much effort again. Luckily Lapua brass lasts as long as it does.

At the time I was looking for a more powerful AR solution for hog hunting, the DPMS Gen 2 was not available, and I had not even heard of that concept. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket barrels and high performance parts for that platform before too much longer. They look and "feel" just like an AR15. As it is now, I've got two DPMS Gen 1 Lr-308's. I like them and use them often, but they are heavy. I'll probably use them more if I ever get around to buying a handheld thermal monocular for scanning instead of using the rifle for scanning?