corn field hogs

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went this corn field six times when it was first planted and they never disturbed the planted seed. Guess they decided to wait until the seed grew up before they came out to eat.

Got three of them out of the deal and for a minute there thought I was getting charged by a runaway hog. That deer ran right by me, I could feel the wind rush past me.

Don't really know what happened to the third picture. Oh well, I guess if you've seen one dead hog, you've seen them all. I'm not sure how long they've been coming out, but there is currently about 1/2 acre of damage. Farmer should be happy.

Me and buddy hope to try them again tomorrow night.

satartia%20hog2_zpsxmtrtqnx.jpg

satartia%20hog1_zpsgkos00mu.jpg

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shooting! What bullet/caliber combo were u using

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That 270 dumps em' Good job!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sure does. Those 120's didn't penetrate and generally won't penetrate shoulder shot hogs that size. But neither does dropping a load of bricks on them which is what it reminds me of when they get shot with that gun.

The guys at hornady told me the 120's were not designed for velocity approaching 2900 ft./sec. They do readily penetrate most deer I've shot with it.

Thanks

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hogs, and a heck of a beak on the one!!! and also a nice Curly Shuffle in there too!! BANG BANG!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shooting. Haven't used my 270's on hogs yet.

Which scope were you using?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work. Hunting the corn fields is good mine. Should pick up even more when they harvest it.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The snout in the second pic looks pretty trashed. Nice hogs, good chootin'.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That deer was getting out of there, scared of you...lol Good going!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I couldn't even find a bullet hole in that first one. She probably just died of freight when she found out it was the 270AR.
The snout in the second pic looks pretty trashed. Nice hogs, good chootin'.

One of the finishing shots I'm sure. Weird, but I couldn't even find a bullet hole in that first one. She probably just died of fright when she found out it was the 270AR.

thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I quit using my 270 on hogs because it was an unfair advantage. lol Only use it for longer range stuff but don't get much of that around here.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That deer was getting out of there, scared of you...lol Good going!
Trust me, for a moment there I was just as scared of it. I thought I was under attack. And judging from my reaction time, it would have been too late.

Need a spotter for safety next time.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks. I was shooting my 270AR with 120 SST's.
I never heard of a 270 in that light of a bullet. Must be new!? I have a bolt action 270, wonder how it would perform?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
It's in a standard AR platform Dan. It's a wildcat, so brass has to be formed. I'm shooting a 130gr bullet at 2850 fps.

5770515_orig.jpg

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I never heard of a 270 in that light of a bullet. Must be new!? I have a bolt action 270, wonder how it would perform?
When 6.8 forums comes back up you can find info on it under the "**************" section. It's a hot rod for sure, but a LABOR of love.

Edit, I think Hornady makes a managed recoil type of cartridge for the 270 Win using the 120 SST, but I think its velocity is similar to what most of the 6.8 shooters around here are getting. But don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I didn't realize there was a 270AR specific round. That must be new.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it much different from the 6.8?