Can you write a thermal scope off on your taxes?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on your tax guy! LOL On a serious note if it is a tool to protect your livestock or crops then yes but I am not a CPA. Thermal can also be used as a tool to check the bearings on your equipment ;)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you are operateing a guide service as a buisness(paying taxes,etc,etc) you can. --- pruhdlr

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use mine to check for water in walls and air leaks. I am a re-modeler.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When I was running T-bone Outfitters I wrote mine off. Along with guns, ammo, targets, mileage, corn, etc. Business expenses. You have to show the paper trail of running a business that uses it.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can you write a thermal scope off on your taxes if you're a land owner
As a general rule of thumb, you can write off anything you want. The question then becomes whether the IRS will hassle you about said write off.

Seriously, if I were running an insulation company I would definitely consider adding a thermal scanner of some sort to my depreciating asset for tax purposes.

Figure out if you can possibly use one in your line of work.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
as a retiree I need to write one off, maybe for use as a hemorrhoid scanner? Blood pressure check? colonoscopy?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
or metal in the body??

chthump

LSB Member
I have a commercial cow/calf operation, i would think a thermal would be a legitimate write off for coyote/hog control for calving and hay meadows (similar to herbicide for weeds), but I haven't written them off, what do y'all think??

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's kind of a general question. I'm sure most of us here own land.
I use to do accting we still own an accting office. My wife has run it for 40 yrs.

If you just own land in general no.
If you operate a business yes you could
Now some will say do you own a business that requires you use thermals.
Does not matter what type of business you own if you entertain clients.
You bought them through your business.
When I say entertain clients. I mean like you use them on hunting trips, boating ect...mostly with clients.
If you use them in your business other wise for whatever reason. Like plumbers, farmers that deal with hay, cattle ect...like chthump , AC ect....
Sure you can write them off as a business equipment. Read below

Read below

Last edited:

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok just spoke with my wife at the office about deduction
This is for you chthump

Now I'm going to keep this simple and not go into the fine details

Ok if whatever items you bought are new. Whatever it is and you use it in your business chthump. :rolleyes:

Weather it be ( you'll like this ) thermal, guns, night vision whatever. Even if you bought a 50 cal barrett Model 82A1 and you use for your business for what ever. Shooting hogs or what ever. Going by what you described as your business above. On a business tax return.

You can deduct the first 50% then depreciate the balance over the remaining years till balance is zero. Even if you are showing a lost in revenue. Only on new items you can still deduct 50% up front even if you are showing a loss.

Now if item you bought are used

If you are showing a profit for the year you bought used items you may deduct 50% and depreciate remaining balance until zerod out.

If you are showing a loss for the year you bought used items you can only depreciate what ever items you bought on your tax returns until zerod out.

Now for other business the same applies also. But if you deduct say a rifles, night vision and thermals and say you are in the accounting business. I get audited and cannot provide reciepts/proof to backup that I use this equipment to entertain clients on hunting trips ect.....guess what will more than like happen. Busted and I'll be paying.

Now if you keep every reciept to get and log them into quick books and can setup a paper trail of your expenses you'll be fine and only use these items to entertain clients when asked or for work. :)

Last edited:

Phil

Ok just spoke with my wife at the office about deduction
This is for you chthump

Now I'm going to keep this simple and not go into the fine details

Ok if whatever items you bought are new. Whatever it is and you use it in your business chthump. :rolleyes:

Weather it be ( you'll like this ) thermal, guns, night vision whatever. Even if you bought a 50 cal barrett Model 82A1 and you use for your business for what ever. Shooting hogs or what ever. Going by what you described as your business above. On a business tax return.

You can deduct the first 50% then depreciate the balance over the remaining years till balance is zero. Even if you are showing a lost in revenue. Only on new items

Now if item you bought are used

If you are showing a profit for the year you bought items you may deduct 50% and depreciate remaining balance until zerod out.

If you are showing a lose for the year you bought items you can only depreciate what ever items you bought on your tax returns until zerod out.
I run Cattle and harvest pecans. So i did it for ag use since I am using it to protect livestock/crops. But even my cpa was skeptical about it. Put it this was I bought another one and she said we should just leave that one alone.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's considered security. She just did not want to do it. Trust me it's 100% legal. If necessary to the operation to the business you can deduct it. Guns you do not list as guns as security equipment for live stock same with thermals. Does not matter if you bought five a year. Marla does several strawberry farmers and one orange grove farmer. Just list thermals and guns under security equipment.

Tell you these farmers down here deduct all there guns and equipment for the farm. They've got nice stuff to. Their accts do not tell them no.

She's been doing this for 40 years down here in Florida.

Is she a liberal or antigun or afraid of the IRS because she not confident of her ability as an accountant. Just asking. Truthfully with you being a farmer you can write off just about everything you buy. Any cpa with any kind sense would know that. I do not think your getting the best service you can get. If she told you that.

But hey your there and we are here. I wish we could be more help to you.

Last edited:

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Bowfisher

LSB Member
Heck yeah! Any Schedule F would be legit IMO. It's easier to ask forgiveness later than permission now...IRS has no right to tell you how to run a business. If you want to buy expensive equipment and write it off, that's your decision.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs do thousands of dollars annually in damage to our crops/hay, so we expense any equipment used specifically for hog control such as rifles, ammo and yes thermal. It is allowable to expense herbicide/pesticides which control crop damage, so same logic should apply. My CPA has no problem with this, but I follow his two caveats: 1) don't abuse it (i.e. I don't write off guns/ammo/hunting equipment not related to hog control) and 2) I print off internet/clip from farming trade magazines articles about hog damage to ag industry, and take photos of damage to our fields which I toss in the tax file to substantiate the deduction in case we are ever audited (knock on wood).