Bait site questions

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Yeah first thing you have to have are the hogs to roll the barrel...lol

Well, I was covered up in them for a hot little minute, they just never got on the barrel. Hopefully I get another chance to whack some out of that group at that site.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
im wondering, if maybe the roll barrels i used in the past that didnt work may have still had some concentrated car wash soap residue in it and maybe tainted the corn??

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think some hogs are just smarter or more weary than others and it is passed down to the little grunters and on and on. Some are not too bright. Ranch lady called last night. Said this hog was walking towards the farm house up from the creek yesterday. She ran in and got her 30-30 and she missed it 3 times but it just kept coming until it stopped to eat with the calves. She finally killed it at 50 yds away. She said she was giving it the Darwin award.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
After a good month with no real activity, besides a lone boar once every other week, I've given up on the site. I pulled the barrel and cameras, moved the cows to that block and set up the new site this morning. I did happen to leave a tree stand.

It's been 4 days since I pulled the cards out of the cameras so, I decided to swap them out. Just got home and decided to look through 1000 pics of racoons at the old site. Pigs showed up the last 4 nights.... I can't win. At least I left a stand.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
murphy's law at its finest

Big Bend Brian

LSB Member
I can't win. At least I left a stand.

That’s funny! And the way it goes hog hunting!

I’m new to the forum but LOVE hog hunting. Wanted to say to Lrtx1 that maybe your hogs are not as smart as mine even though we are only separated by 80 miles (I’m making a joke).

I recently set up a new pig pipe and it only took 4 days for the hogs to figure it out (unfortunately coons too).

EK000136-X2.jpg

This particular boar will stay 2 hours just a-rolling this pipe.

EK000740-X2.jpg

EK000741-X2.jpg

EK000742-X2.jpg

I’d note that in one of the end caps I glued in a blind cavity and put 5-6 rocks to make them think there continues to be corn when it gets empty.

Brian

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Welcome to the fray Brian. I make it over your way a few times a year. Mainly Cedar Key with an occasional trip to Steinhatchee.

Just an update on my site. I had zero activity at the new site for 2 weeks. Moved the cows out of the old site and set it back up. I have a plastic drum with a removable top. I took the top completely off. If they can't figure there is corn inside the barrel now...I may have the stupidest hogs on the planet running around.

There has been a lot of pressure around my place for the past month. Some dog hunting, trapping and shooting. Either way, me or the neighbors, I'm glad someone is getting rid of a few.

Going to look at the site tonight to see what's going on.

Lrtx1

LSB Member

I think I do have the stupidest pigs on the planet. With the whole top removed out of the barrel, one boar stuck his head in it. They cleaned up all the corn on the ground, left about a quart right in front of the barrel and about 5 gallons worth inside the barrel. I didnt add any more corn today, I just raked a little out of the barrel. They going to eat corn out of the barrel or they ain't gonna eat my corn.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
That's a standard 55 gallon drum, what do yall think that boar weighs?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Das a big ol' bugger, if that is a standard 55 gal. drum !!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are those metal barrels? I guess I need to go look at my instructions and make sure it says plastic barrels...lol I think the hogs found your barel!

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I get these plastic barrels with the removable tops like the metal ones.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh good, looked metal. I like the screw on top 59 gallon pickle barrels the best

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Maybe one day they will figure out how to roll it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well they are big enough that is for sure. I only put 1 50lb bag at a time to make it easier.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
It's almost comical now. 4 nights of pictures and zero movement on the barrel. They'll eat corn on the ground right in front of the barrel and as close as possible under the barrel without moving it. Probably a good 25lbs inside the open ended barrel and won't go for it. Last three nights I've had less than a gallon on the outside of the barrel. I thought by now they would be greedy enough to roll the barrel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is funny, well you know where to hide when they come in then...right?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like you'd better hire a barrel valet for 'em.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
3 or 4 more nights of activities and no barrel rolling. One sow got her head a good ways into the barrel but didn't want to figure out how to get the rest of it. I've all but given up on the idea.

I had to pull the barrel due to turkey season. If it was just me hunting I wouldn't worry with it and keep my distance. I have guys coming for guided hunts and I don't want to put them in a pickle.

We'll try again in 5 weeks.