Bait site questions

Lrtx1

LSB Member
My site is a small clearing about an acre in size. It's set up with a hog roll barrel which they have been slow to learn how to use. I have put corn out to keep them coming regularly. Had the sounder showing up almost every evening for 3 weeks and staying for several hours a time.

Had 3 or 4 good evenings of pig slaying over the last 3 weeks. At first it didn't change their routine, they would visit the site the next day and sometimes later the same night. Last Saturday wound up taking 3 out and they have been back only once since.

Now the question, is it time to move sites, or give them time to come back and feel comfortable? Not sure if something else has them screwed up or not.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
after you kill some there the rest remember it...put out your corn and something sweet, koolaide/donuts/bread or such and leave it alone for a week, then if they come back you will have a chance again.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with Frank. They learn pretty darn quick. If action doesn't pick up either they are skittish, moved to a different area because they do that or you killed too many. lol
Even when I trap, every time I catch hogs, the trap gets moved, there are some exceptions but for the most part they get moved if even 10-20 yds away.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Last time I hunted the site was Saturday night, they skipped Sunday and showed up Monday. Haven't been back since. I know they are in the area still as a friend that hunts deer on our place heard some boars fighting Wednesday morning.

Went down today and added some wet cat food and peanut butter to the barrel. I'm gonna give them another week I guess before I add another bait site.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just remember...as soon as you have them figured out, they will change everything. Crazy Hogs!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always nice to have more than one place baited, I keep 3 active about 800yds or more apart and every nite I walk between them, kill at one location I leave it alone for a week or more and go between the others.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Frank, that was my original plan to have 2 sites going. If they ever figure the barrel out it would make it easier for me to run a second site.

Only other problem I have is my cows, I keep them shut out of the area I have my bait site. I can't shut off more than a couple places this time of year. I have a feeling my cows would figure the barrel out in a few minutes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sure the cows would be all over the barrels in short order. Poor some grape or cherry dry cool-aide powder in the barrel w the corn to get hogs to try it.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Make sure the corn in the barrel is dry. If u added anything wet, like wet cat food, the corn probably soaked up the moisture in it and swelled up causing the corn to get larger. This makes the corn also bounce around less inside the barrel making it even harder to get the corn to come out.

After u make sure that the inside of the barrel has dry corn/koolaid/dry dog food/ peanut butter the outside of the barrel, corn/koolaid powder the ground around the barrel etc, maybe get a second barrel and use bigger holes in it so the hogs learn to get the corn inside the barrel faster.....just until the hogs start catching on to how the barrel works, then swap the barrel for the one with smaller holes so they can't empty it overnight... Or within a handful of nights. Good luck!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alot of times I put dry corn on the cob w a brick in a large barrel and it feeds out much slower and lasts longer...but you are right everything in the barrel is dry.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Barrel has dry enough corn in it, I can roll it and get corn out easily, barrel has quite a few holes in it and was going to swap it out once they start rolling it. Problem is I can't get them on the barrel. I've poured every thing I can think of over the barrel. Soured corn with kool-aid beer and oranges, buck jam persimmon, peanut butter and finally wet cat food.

I thought I was putting too much corn on the ground not giving them a reason to hit the barrel but, I've cut back on that and still no luck. I've had them on camera for 6 hours at a time before, they just don't seem interested in the barrel.

The bigger problem is I can't seem to get the hogs back over the last week. They've only visited the site once after the last shooting spree. They came almost nightly for over a month.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
depending on the size of the barrel I only put 25-50 lbs of corn in it so they are able to roll it, a lot of people make them too heavy.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Still no activity on the old bait site. I'm going to keep it up with a little corn from time to time just in case they hit it again. Think I'll add another site this week and see what happens.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Finally got a lone boar on camera at the old site. Maybe he will tell his friends it's a safe place again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A nice one too, there you go!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess Capt. but the roll barrel works much better

FrankT

Destin FL