Armasight Zeus 3, 320x256, 42mm 30 hz Brief Review

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Elkbow is your handle elsewhere is it not ;)

and on this next statement, I am only regurgitation what I have read so I could be incorrect

Is 60 Hz "optimal" for hunting/shooting/viewing use or is it developed and more geared for high speed uses (vehicular/aerial applications).

As for resale, well I would agree with you on a more mainstream scope.

Dang, now that is 4 cents worth

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ben, you are right, all these names and then avatars confuse me too!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yep, elkbow, not Elkbow

I grew up in the world of ifrared, close to the same thing as thermal, just different specs on the wavelengths used to return the signals per se.

It does make a difference, you can try by taking the two side by side and scan fast with them, and if you want to see a huge difference, throw a 9hz unit in there, will break up like crazy.

For general hunting purposes, won't make much of a difference unless the targets are close and you need to swing far. But even after your acquire the target and slow down, 30 is fine

Last edited:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
So Dave, are you pulling the trigger on that Zeus or holding off?

I've looked for a lower price and can't find one so your dealer is doing right by ya.

Ben

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inquiring minds want to know!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Elkbow :)

I think 30hz is sufficient, get the same specs on everything else but save hundreds going with a 30

My 2 centavos

watch on your video at around the 3:25 mark when you shoot the big hog and then you pan fast back and forth looking for other hogs, that's where you will see a difference between 30 and 60, but could still probably pick up some white

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
60 is definitely better than 30, but 30 is more than adequately functional. The question then comes down to what folks want to pay. So 60 makes a difference in some limited circumstances. For some folks, it will make a real difference, but probably not for most.

However, if I had the choice and the $, I would definitely go with 60. I would also go with 640 resolution.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
True, when jumping up to 640, that's the biggest jump. And neither would make a big difference in hunting scenarios

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JUST NEED TO LOOK THROUGH THEM

I think

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I rarely ever read the manual for something I use so stuff like this takes me far too long to figure out, but if you are using a Zeus you can also perform a manual NUC by holding down buttons 1&3 for about two seconds. To me that is important on VOx thermals, more so than AS.

The Zeus 5 (336x256-75mm lens) is one of the best values out there (just my humble opinion) for hunting fields without breaking the bank. At $6295, it's got a lot of range without being huge.

As far as 60Hz vs. 30Hz, I can't tell a difference in the two while hunting unless I am riding around in the truck. The image quality of a 30Hz is actually slightly better when static.

I'll try to get some comparison vids up of some various Zeus', Thors, FLIR RS, and some others.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the info Delta!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have to let the cat out of the bag, I bought the Zeus 5, will be here tomorrow. I did my own comparisons, as well read others online and talked to all the manufacturers, and went with the 336x256-75, 5x, 60 hz. If I had a money tree in the back yard would have probably got the 640, but last time looked there wasn't one, and Armasight doesn't offer as 5x 640 60 that I know of.

Will report on my testing, but look forward to your info Delta, I've seen you on other forums.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Dave! Good luck w it!!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Nicely done Dave!

That is a heck of a deal for the lens size and screen type, I look forward to your report on the Zeus 5.

Ben

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I have to let the cat out of the bag, I bought the Zeus 5, will be here tomorrow. I did my own comparisons, as well read others online and talked to all the manufacturers, and went with the 336x256-75, 5x, 60 hz. If I had a money tree in the back yard would have probably got the 640, but last time looked there wasn't one, and Armasight doesn't offer as 5x 640 60 that I know of.

Will report on my testing, but look forward to your info Delta, I've seen you on other forums.

I hope you didn't give too much for it! The prices just came down quite a bit. I think you will really like it. When I do demo's, there is always someone ill informed that thinks it is a 640 unit due to the image quality provided by the 75mm lens...but FOV is a giveaway. Armasight is coming out with a 100mm lens thermal sight this year, available in 640 with higher optical magnification. Digital magnification and I don't jive.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is it here yet?

we are all in the waiting room. When will she be delivered!!!!!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dear UPS man: Please do not punt this package over the fence!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I hope you didn't give too much for it! The prices just came down quite a bit. I think you will really like it. When I do demo's, there is always someone ill informed that thinks it is a 640 unit due to the image quality provided by the 75mm lens...but FOV is a giveaway. Armasight is coming out with a 100mm lens thermal sight this year, available in 640 with higher optical magnification. Digital magnification and I don't jive.

I put the price up front. Can't afford the new one, as bigger and better always mean bend over. o_O