Apollo or Zeus?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I have 320 (or is it 336) with 42mm lens, 60hz ... the "high end of the middle" :) ...

... there are some dvrs in my "NV Practice" thread ...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The recent apollos had their reticles taken out to meet some regulation. There is supposed to be a update to return them. So yes the Apollo can be a dedicated low magnification scope.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, as I sit & impatiently wait for new pro models and hopefully new lower pricing on old models, a question occurred in my pea sized brain. Generally it seems that, given a certain feature set, Zeus costs less than Apollo. For example, a 640/30 42mm 2x Zeus goes for approx $1,000-$1200 less than a 640/30 42mm 1x Apollo. I'm sure there is a good reason for this but I must be missing it when comparing spec sheets between the two. Anybody know why?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I asked Aaron a.k.a. Delta 4-3 this same question and he gave me a great answer ... now if I can just remember what it was ... :D ... I think it was that collimnation costs more than no-collimnation ... hopefully he will be along soon to correct my answer ...

I do more clearly recall that Zeus can have larger lens for the same reason ... collimnation not required ...

Re-stated ... the clipons ... have to go in front of the day scopes ... and add another element to mess up goal of common parallax point ... without doing so ... stand alone scopes don't have to solve this problem ... hence the complexity difference ... hence the cost difference ...

Again, hopefully Delta 4-3 will be along soon to clarify ...

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I asked Aaron a.k.a. Delta 4-3 this same question and he gave me a great answer ... now if I can just remember what it was ... :D ... I think it was that collimnation costs more than no-collimnation ... hopefully he will be along soon to correct my answer ...

I do more clearly recall that Zeus can have larger lens for the same reason ... collimnation not required ...

Re-stated ... the clipons ... have to go in front of the day scopes ... and add another element to mess up goal of common parallax point ... without doing so ... stand alone scopes don't have to solve this problem ... hence the complexity difference ... hence the cost difference ...

Again, hopefully Delta 4-3 will be along soon to clarify ...

That makes sense Wig - I knew there had to be a reason. Appreciate it!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not a clipon fan.

very hard to use by itself

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not a clipon fan.

very hard to use by itself

Monoculars are better at being monoculars, dedicated scopes are better at being scopes, while not as good at being a spotting monocular, or dedicated scope a clip on can do both and be a clip on in front of a day optic to boot. I prefer the dedicated units but a clip on covers many bases.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You may have access to things I do not. The FLIR clipon I used last night did not work for me as a spotter off rifle.

Just me. YMMV

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ive only used the LWTS and the Apollo both you could hold up to your eye and spot with.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can also run both as a stand alone scope. Just won't have the magnification of the dedicated units.

HarperJt

I'm new to this sight and have spent several hours reading the post here and weeks reading/months reading other sites. I would love it if anyone couple post some video or give firsthand account of the Apollo 320. I'm right on the verge of getting one but I need a little more coxing. I've seen videos of the Apollo 640 thanks to you guys but I haven't seen much of the 320 model. Also what would be the approximated detection range on of the Apollo for hogs? 200yrs or 800 yrs? How about shooting range? 50 yrds or 200 yrds? I currently have a pvs14. But I'm thinking I'm missing half of the picture.

FYI, I know this question has been asked may time and I apologize. I think more videos like the one on this site is about the most educational video I have ever seen when comparing thermals. I just wish more deals would do them.

Thanks for any information,

Jeff

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
There's some Apollo 320 video on my NV practice thread here ... so you can go check that out.

If you're on a high hill and the hogs are in open country ... you could "detect" at 2000yds ... I've detected cattle at that distance ... but they were just white blobs. I knew they were cattle due to distribution of the blobs across the pasture and knowing there were cows in that pasture. But you said "detection" ... ... as to "identification" that's a different ball game and it depends on the conditions. I find I "identify" more by movement than by shape and that is more a function of time than distance. I typically ID at between 25 and 300yds around me ... but often I can use the 14 to support the ID process.

HarperJt

Thanks Wigwan, I've been looking at your videos. I thought you apollo was a 640. I never knew it was a 320.

Thanks
Jeff

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
At the time I got my Apollo, the 640 was like $3k more ... and I got a second PVS-14 instead. Two is One ... and I'm glad I have two 14s ... if one is broke I'm still in business and when I had two I can see three times as well !!! :D And the Apollo 320 works just fine at 50-100yds ... typical hog engagement distance. If you need to make pretty videos hold out for a 640 .. if you need to hit the target ... the 320 will be fine ... just make sure you are close enough to ID with either 14 or thermal. I use 3x slipon ... on the 14 to enhance spotting with i^2 ... and that is the clearest image I've seen through any NOD. Equal to CO-LR in front of L&S Mk6 3-18x scope on 3x at half the price and an eighth of the weight.