940nm no glow IR wavelength question. ..

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty sure mine has 4 cluster emitter ledsIMG_6625.JPG IMG_6626.PNG .

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
That is not the oslon black led like they say they use, it's a Chinese IR led. My units have the 3 cluster Chinese leds.
When my eyes are night adjusted on very dark nights the emitters can be seen without a problem.
If enough moon light to cast a shadow then the glow will not be noticeable.
The 850nm leds can be seen from 80+yds. I have been looking for a used IR patrol 300 to skip the IR light.
This way no emissions for critters to see, they may smell my emissions but that's another story :)

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I've developed a rechargeable motion activated 850nm feeder light recently that will sense motion up to 32' away. After reading these posts, I will build one with 940nm for anyone who is interested and may add it to my lineup. The light can be mounted on a 1" pvc pole, tree or tripod. The one for placing under the feeder is coming soon.... all IR. If you want the website, just ask as I am not here to advertise and have been an LSB member for years.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I think that two 5w 940nm leds with the proper lens should light up a feeder area just fine. Who wants to test a prototype? The unit would be placed approx 20' from the feeder, facing away from the blind and off to the side. I will need some detailed feedback of course. Anyone hunt at night with a nightvision setup over bait spots? By the way, the light will have a built in 'alert' led on the back to let you know when something has come in.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I built a feeder light with (3) 3W 940nm leds and tested it tonight. I looked through my Sightmark Photon. Wow! I'm sure just (2) leds will light up an entire baited area out to 50' easily.... I'll be testing it for range this weekend and will update.....
By the way, the 940 3W high power leds do emit a very faint and tiny red dot that you can only see at night and only if you are standing right in front of the light and only a few feet away at most. These high power leds put out a ton of light and require a heat sink. I will be adding this light to my website soon.