940nm no glow IR wavelength question. ..

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Yes, about 1/2 the brightness of a 850nm light and about 1/2 the glow can be seen from the led emitter.

The genIII NV is about 1/2 as sensitive to the 940nm as it is to the 850nm, but glow seen from the led is about as 1/2 as bright as well. So best to use the least amount of IR needed as the higher the power the brighter the glow from the led.
No truly invisible IR light source that genIII can see.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Thanks Hard_ware
Do a lot of folks use 940nm illuminators? I guess it would be better for hogs or yotes as far as spooking them? I'm shopping for IR light now.

Thanks

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used a T-20/850nm for about a year with my NV scope and killed a bunch of hogs and not once did they ever spook from the light. But you know, that could just be the dumb hogs I deal with. Personally, I'd go for power/distance over "stealth" with an IR light.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No truly invisible IR light source that genIII can see.
Not sure if you mean there is not IR light source gen III can not see, or if you mean there is no IR light source without a visible glow. I can tell you my 940nm driving lights are invisible to the naked eye no glow on the darkest of nights. Tested with many different mk1 eyeballs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have no glow from my 940 illuminator

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
zero by naked eye and non for the hogs, not even a tiny red dot glo

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have no visible glow with my 940 driving lights either. I can see them fine with the PVS. I prefer this while driving. Mine are mounted on an electric golf cart and I can get real close to animals with it.

I used a 850 illuminator when I was shooting NV. The hogs here got educated to it real fast. SteveR had a lot to do with that. Every time I turned it on when trying to kill a coyote they looked right at it. They knew something was up but it was usually to late.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have no visible glow with my 940 driving lights either. I can see them fine with the PVS. I prefer this while driving. Mine are mounted on an electric golf cart and I can get real close to animals with it.

I used a 850 illuminator when I was shooting NV. The hogs here got educated to it real fast. SteveR had a lot to do with that. Every time I turned it on when trying to kill a coyote they looked right at it. They knew something was up but it was usually to late.
Steve has to start killing them and they won't learn.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Steve has to start killing them and they won't learn.
Unfortunately the last time I used my IR with a rifle they would bust out as soon as I turned it on. The thick stuff we were hunting let them disappear fast. I'm getting to like hunting in pastures a lot more than the thick stuff.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a helmet mounted 940 led ir light that isn't noticeable to the naked eye in the dark. If I cup my hnd around it in the dark and hold it a few inches from my face I can see a dim red glow, but that's about the only way for the naked eye to see the red glow. My 850s are definitely noticeable. These are all inexpensive LED IR illuminators.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
now saying that the 940 is not as bright or as long throwing as the 850 in illumination

Hard_ware

Not sure if you mean there is not IR light source gen III can not see, or if you mean there is no IR light source without a visible glow. I can tell you my 940nm driving lights are invisible to the naked eye no glow on the darkest of nights. Tested with many different mk1 eyeballs.

Which driving lights are you using ?
All the leds including the 940's emit a glow I can clearly see, the 850's on the t20 I can see from 80yds no problem on medium setting .
I only hunt dark nights like these next few days with no moon till early in the am so it's really really dark.
I would like to get some of the lights and try them I have been looking for a while for some without a glow .

I have the new variable t20 with the new osram 850nm led and the glow just at 10% which is just clicking the rotary knob on is very visible to me. I am going to order a 940nm led to swap it out with and see how it does .

Hard_ware

I have a helmet mounted 940 led ir light that isn't noticeable to the naked eye in the dark. If I cup my hnd around it in the dark and hold it a few inches from my face I can see a dim red glow, but that's about the only way for the naked eye to see the red glow. My 850s are definitely noticeable. These are all inexpensive LED IR illuminators.

Which light? I have a few 940's and on dark nights with eyes night adapted I can see them but would like to find one with the least glow.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which light? I have a few 940's and on dark nights with eyes night adapted I can see them but would like to find one with the least glow.
Ulako IR 940nm 5W Infrared Lamp Hunting Flashlight Radiation Camera Monitor Night Vision Fill Light

I got it on amazon

Hard_ware

Ulako IR 940nm 5W Infrared Lamp Hunting Flashlight Radiation Camera Monitor Night Vision Fill Light

I got it on amazon

I have 2 of the same lights, the emitters are not the oslon black's.
The image from amazon for the ulako shows 2 different emitters

wT2wf4Z.jpg

Can you post a pic of the emitter in your lights?

I have a couple of the oslon blacks 940nm ordered from mouser electronics should be here next week. I will swap out the 3 cluster emitter led's for the oslon black and see how they work. I have a t20 with a potentiometer in the tail cap so it's variable brightness, but it has the new 850nm oslon black emitter and I can see the glow on the lowest setting, I an going to swap it out with one of the 940nm leds to see how that works.

Last edited: