23 total for the weekend.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
23 hogs down in two nights with T-bone outfitters in Wichita Falls. Donated 80 pounds of back straps alone. 2200 total pounds of pork not including the piglets.

It was still cold last nigh but no freezing rain or 20mph wind. We only stayed out a few hours because another ice storm was blowing through early this morning and it's a long drive home. But we still ended up getting eight all hit with the 90 gr gold dot. Two were at 100 + yards and dropped DRT. Three of them were over 200 pounds two were very close, and three were piglets.

One boar did get away I took one shot on him at about 50 yards and he bolted. Do not know if I missed or not since these bullets don't give me the tell-tale thump on impact the 120gr SST's do.

I will say this I have seen more blood using these bullets then any others. I mean blood is everywhere normally the hogs seal up and bleed internally. Not sure why this is happening.

220 pound sow hit at 60 yards no exit

230 pound sow Alex hit her three times on the run.

Piglet hit at 40 yards not sure this would be a good fur saving bullet on light skinned animals.

Like I said they were a lot of bleeders both nights.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blood is good. Congrats on another great outing, and thanks for sharing it with us.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great pics and hunting from you 2...Thanks for the report!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex just sent me these pics the guy that we donated the hog meat to found one. It weighs 62.2 grains with a little meat still stuck to it. Load was 30.5gr of aa2200 out of 16" barrel. Most of the hogs were at about 50 yards when hit. The pics are a little out of focus I will try to get him to take some better ones. We do not know which hog out of the 23 this came from.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks nasty good sharp edges, not like others we have seen in deer and lost more weight too.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only lost about 30%... nice sized chunk left. Thanks.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i wonder how the ice on the hair changed performance

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The bloodsicles are frozen Bermuda grass with blood spray on them. No ice on the hogs. Their body temp from rooting, walking, etc is too high to her icesicles that quickly.

My personal opinion is that a 30.5 grain load of aa2200 may be pushing these bullets too fast from a 16" barrel to control the expansion. The hogs that were at 50 yards or less took several shots to anchor, but the ones TLM shot closer to 100 yards were dry.

I may be wrong but I thunk the gold dots were designed with 8.5-12.5" long barrels in mind. I cannot 100% confirm this, but I read it in a couple other places. Just speculation since I don't have concrete facts from ATK/federal/speer or from my own testing.

Also, this is only a single recovered bullet and I can't tell you what part of the hog it hit, how close the hog was, or if the bullet hit bone or anything along the way.

I will try to recover more in the future.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think they are going to fast tops we were pushing them 2900 FPS with the cold more like 2800 FPS. The second night they all dropped. I think hogs are just tough. Still think the 120sst is a better bullet but for the price I will keep shooting these until they are gone. Unless I start having to shoot them five times on a regular basis.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex.

You are not wrong. This round was developed in conjunctiom with LWRC and Magpul for a huge contract for the Saudis and Jordanians. LWRC developed a totally new SBR. Magpul developed totally new mags and Federal developed this round. I have had the opportunity to fire the weapons system and it is very impressive. The details are long but bottom line is this round was developed specifically for a 12.5 inch LWRC SBR, and has had great success with that weapon. Shot placement is everything as we all know. It was developed with the average human body in mind and the use of body armor.

In the past several weeks I have shot at 7 hogs and hit them all and recovered 6. 3 were DRT and the others went about 100 yards each. Without the use of thermal I doubt that I would have found any until the next day and followed the vultures. Those that were hit good were DRT and the ones that were gut shot did leave great blood trail. There is a study of this round on the LWRC site someplace. I cannot find it now but then I do not have the patience to look either.

I shoot only factory ammo and cannot find any other round that is even close to this one in cost at this time. 19$ a box at Palmetto State and soon to be released at about sixty cents a round after a production overrun, and both Federal and LWRC want that round on the market big time. Once I hear back from the distributor I will post it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooter, I am ready for the .60 a rd cost for my 8.5" pistol that I use this ammo in!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank

So am I. The distributor is directly tied into Federal and there is no doubt they want the round to take off big time. With this round and weapon there is a lot of speculation about competing with the 5.56 for a US Mil weapon. Some Tier 1 units have been testing this weapon and round for quite a while, and from what I have been told they like it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I have been following the weapon, contract and ammo since it has been discussed. I decided it would be my goto rd for my 6.8 pistol and right now the Fed fusion 115 for my rifle. I bought 10 boxes of the fusion and 20 of the GD as soon as it was available and now waiting for it to come down in price.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex.

In the past several weeks I have shot at 7 hogs and hit them all and recovered 6. 3 were DRT and the others went about 100 yards each. Without the use of thermal I doubt that I would have found any until the next day and followed the vultures. Those that were hit good were DRT and the ones that were gut shot did leave great blood trail.

To me that's not very good. If a hog runs 100 yards after I shoot him then a majority of the time I won't know if I killed him. With the 120sst they are usually disabled with a hit anywhere. For shooting multiple running hogs at extreme angles this is important to me. So far we have only killed 23 hogs with the gold dot maybe more if they ran 100 yards after being shot. But we only count the found ones. Most of the 23 went down fast but a high percentage of the large ones did not and took multiple hits. But who is to know those hogs that took multiple shots might have gone down from the first hit. But I don't stop shooting until they fall.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the ones that ran were all shot up bad and went no further. The tissue damage as you saw is violent. Pigs are very tough. No doubt that thermal was responsible for their recovery. I have no problem with the 90 grain GD. At the price I will stay with them, but you tell me where I can get factory 120 SST at a good price and I will give them a try

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 120's are the same price, at least the last time I bought a case, $18.44 a bx, I believe it was at Midway or PSA.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I still think we were driving the bullet too fast. The more I think about it what stands out to me are the hogs shot at longer distances were DRT. The ones shot at 50 yards or less took multiple shots to stop.

It makes me think the bullets expanded too rapidly and didn't disrupt the internals as violently as the 120 sst does.

I guess I need a Chronograph and more hogs to shoot. LOL.