.223/5.56mm for hogs...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is true and why I run the 6.8 plus you are a young healthy guy and i am a fat old man...LOL I need a gun bearer

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why do I see this spinning off into another squirrel hunting conversation?

Back when we hunted coyotes in Nevada I had a friend using a 223 bolt action. The thing was a tack driver out to 150 yards. Only problem is any farther and it wouldn't drop a coyote. Usually took a good follow up shot. I shot a lot of yotes with my BAR in 30-06 and never once had one get back up. If I hit them on the run they usually took a step then face planted. If I'm going to go big and slow I wouldn't want anything less than my 458 socom. Problem there is range of corse but now my shots are always under 100 yards

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Killed plenty of yotes using hornady tap at 400 yards! With 5.56.

Iron sights

Up hill

In the snow.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My friend was using Winchester super-x. Never had good luck with past 150

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is true and why I run the 6.8 plus you are a young healthy guy and i am a fat old man...LOL I need a gun bearer

When you come out with us ill be the gun bearer. Catch is, when things start running I doubt I'll hand it back to you. Ill just start shooting with yours

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry to hijack your thread FEDLAWMAN. While not the optimal choice the 5.56 with the Barnes bullet seems to be doing well for you!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am going to order some and test them out on some long range tactical coon hunting

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd be curious to see how well the Barnes 70gr TSX does.

I was looking at those but wondered about loading length. Can they be loaded to fit an ar mag?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't loaded any 5.56 so I'm not sure but I do know that Silver State Armory has them.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like hunting with my AR15 (5.56), but it doesn't have the video capabilities and currently only has a Gen 1 scope on it. :-( I am very satisfied with the CNS shot capability/lethality of it. It has been okay on vitals shots, but like everything else, my chances of a good kill go down with how rushed the shot is and if the animals are on the move or stationary.

I am now using Barnes TSX loaded by Silver State Armory. I have been pleased with the performance on the three hogs I have shot with it. All three shots have overpenetrated and exit wounds were much larger in size, indicating good expansion.

Here is a somewhat crappy digital camera pic blown up as best as possible. Written on the side of my magazine, half hidden by the mag well is TSX 70 to show the load I am using.

IMG-20121218-00686crop.jpg

Last edited:

FEDLAWMAN

Hey it's cool I'm not trying to for it on anyone just laying it out there as an option, I still prefer my '06 for most any hunting.
Sorry to hijack your thread FEDLAWMAN. While not the optimal choice the 5.56 with the Barnes bullet seems to be doing well for you!
y

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok if your shooting at the head and ear and taking a well placed aimed shot it is good. If your shooting at running hogs hitting them in the rear and guts the 55.6 is inadequate.
22mag serves the same purpose. If its what you have on hand go for it, otherwise use a better tool for the job.
I'd be curious to see how well the Barnes 70gr TSX does.

Ill post up my results if I can get the damn things to shoot. They do load to 2.26 without a problem and my 1:8 barrel will stabilize them, barely. I think that is part of my issue getting them to shoot. I have a bunch of the 62ttsx though still to try, and I have higher hopes for them.
I need to find some Varget or RL15, slowest thing I have is H4895 and AA2230, and Im running low on both of those.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Personally,I do not feel that the 70gr Barnes will kill or penetrate any better than a 62gr bullet of the same make-up. Probably no better than a 55gr either. The solid copper design with a small'ish HP I believe is the key to the killing power of the bullets. Increase weight...decrease velocity ..... AND the effects of hydrostatic shock.

Also...when considering what twist will stabilize a .224" 70gr solid copper / no lead bullet,take into consideration the legnth of the solid copper Barnes bullets. They are huge !! --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet the Barnes do significantly increase the .223's effectiveness.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bet the Barnes do significantly increase the .223's effectiveness.
They make a varmint gun a viable medium game gun. Between them and the 64gr Nosler Bonded Performance it makes for a good deer caliber, though I still think its a touch underpowered for hogs. Hogs are double tough critters, and a hog on the run is like a small brick wall running around. Hell, I have seen 200lbs+ pigs get hit by Honda Civics and Accords, 1/2 of the time the pig survives with nothing more than brusing, the other 1/2 they are dazed and I shoot them in the head before they could run off!