.223/5.56mm for hogs...

FEDLAWMAN

I have found some pretty good medicine for hogs, using the .223/5.56mm I load them with the 62 gr Barnes TTSX using Barnes load data,and have yet to lose a hog. Every hog I've hit with these has been DRT. The only problem I've had is recovering the bullets as they usually pass through. I have recovered 4 of them that were shot into 300+ pound hogs where the bullet stopped under the hide on the opposite side recovered bullet weight was 61.7gr! I just figured I would share this info with others that handload and see if someone else were to have the same luck with them I've had. Most don't look at the .223 as ethical for anything bigger than prairie dogs, and coyotes, with these bullets I have had awesome results. I mainly started with this cartridge to be able to get my children involved as they areyoung and recoil sensative. I have also taken 2 Deer with it using this bullet, load combo, and have seen less damage to internal organs with a 300 WM.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While I don't recommend the 5.56 for hogs the Barnes bullets are some of the better ones and will improve performance.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the Forum!!
Very interesting, I am one of those that think the 223 is too light a rd for me and most outfitters here in Fl will not allow hunters to use them for hogs. After saying that, many of the hogs on our lease have been taken with a 223, 2 of the largest in fact, so like all those that use the 223 say it is all about shot placement. Since I don't reload I use the 6.8 so there is never a question.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
The TSX and TTSX's are great bullets for pigs and they have a 70gr version for the 5.56. A 5.56 will take a hog down, where I believe it suffers is the follow up shots while they are running. It is harder to hit the "easy button" when they are on the move and the 5.56 leaves you less room for error.

-hd

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree hd. I use a 5.56 with my PVS14 and suppressor. I shoot a Nosler 60 grain Ballistic Tip with a handload of TAC powder. The first shot is usually a DRT due to a head shot. When the others take off it is hard to put them down sometimes. I guess I need to get my 6.8 up and running for night hunting now.

FEDLAWMAN

I was one of those that didn't believe in the .223 for them, until I used it on one I have had multiple different shots at different angles and not all were head shots, still had the DRT result. Maybe I was just lucky, I did have someone else there with the old reliable 30-06 loaded with some 168gr TSX's, just didn't need it ( did piss the wife off though she had the '06 and wanted to get her first hog). Wife has used the 22-250 with 55gr ballistic tips to take a nice 250lb boar it was quartering away and shot it right behing the leg, with the angle she lucked out and missed the guts but managed to get it in the heart. Thanks for the welcome. Anyone have too many hogs in the Kaufman or surrounding areas they need help with?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really dont like the green bullets. I dont have much luck with them. Out of the 200+ animals I have shot (mostly coyotes) I have only had a handful of DRTs (all were CNS shots). Most run 30-200yds before flopping over. I really hate that. And the accuracy is ok at best, most of the time it is very substandard. You would think shooting a dog with a 30-06 would anchor him but they get up an run off 90% of the time.

They do leave a blood trail afterwards, looks a lot like this:
IMG_20130416_065851_920_zps81117fa1.jpg

As for the 5.56 for pigs, it works ok, just be careful with your shot placement and its fine. I personally prefer my 6.8spc, but to each their own.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I too have killed many hogs with the 5.56 but to many wounded hogs for my taste with it. But I never used the Barnes bullet.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While I agree that shot placement is key I do not agree the .223 is to small for use on hogs. I shoot for the head and neck, never have been a chest shooter. I use a 55gr soft point and don't make a shot I am not sure of making. Not one has taken a second step as I have been very lucky with shot placement. I am sure you could find someone somewhere with a story of a hog needing a second hit with a .50BMG to put him down. Size is important but, using what you have with effect is more important. I now use my 6.8 as the .223 is getting very old.(built in 1968)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok if your shooting at the head and ear and taking a well placed aimed shot it is good. If your shooting at running hogs hitting them in the rear and guts the 55.6 is inadequate.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok if your shooting at the head and ear and taking a well placed aimed shot it is good. If your shooting at running hogs hitting them in the rear and guts the 55.6 is inadequate.
Yesser you are absolutely correct. It just blows off chunks about the size of a softball, or like gashback just a large superficial wound. I haven't shot at a runner with my .223.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm in agreeance with Texaslawman on this one. The .223 is capable with a well placed shot, but lacks the umph to anchor hogs on the run. It just doesn't do the internal damage and shock of the 6.8 or bigger rounds. Without that immediate hydraulic shock wave and disrupption of the nerves in the muscle the hogs keep running. The 6.8 and 7.62x39 in an ar15 platform are my preferences for insurance on running hogs.

Gotta have some extra umph to anchor them once the adrenaline is going. To each their own.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have killed quite a few hogs with my Benelli MR1 that is chambered in 223Rem. I use a Barnes 55gr TSX at 3130fps. My shots are well aimed and well rested shots. I absolutely DO NOT shoot at running animals. If calling/hunting a roadway I use the Primos brand of Trigger Stick(bi-pod) or from my shooting house I have a bench and bags. My ladder stands all have a shooting rail that folds down for a rest.

I do not target the CNS. I put the bullet square on the shoulder or bottom 1/3rd of the chest to hit(and frag) the heart and both lungs. I have not had a hog run more than 30yds and every bullet was a complete pass thru with an exit hole from the size of a quarter to the size of a half dollar depending if the bullet hit bone on the entrance side of the animal.

For some strange reason every hog that I have ever killed with that combo has been facing to the right. I have gotten so now that I will wait for that presentation. I have killed hogs up to 220lbs with this combo. My longest shot has been 120yds.

I firmly believe that "even" a .224" bullet,traveling at the higher speeds,creates quite a bit of hydrostatic shock,and if it hits bones will create secondary missiles that do a fair amount of damage. I have found 3" pieces of ribs,10ft from where the animal was initially hit.

My 6.8 shooting a 85gr Barnes TSX at 3100fps+ will do the same thing. --- pruhdlr

FEDLAWMAN

I agree that it isn't a cartridge to use if you area looking for deep penetration however, with this projectile I think Barnes is trying to remedy that as I have had it pass through a 300 lb boar tearing up everything between the entry and final resting place under the hide on the other side. I still wont shoot at a running animal though. I feel that if they are running and I can't get them to stop I've already done something to let them win the hunt today.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Again the 5.56 will work fine for the rested or first shots. It will also do the job if you are good enough/have the time to make these same shots while they are running. I shoot pigs for sport but mainly eradication for a couple of farmers, they want as many gone as possible. When hunting this way I don't have the time to wait on the PERFECT shot. Not saying the 5.56 isn't capable of killing a pig. I'm saying that the bigger caliber(also depends on bullet selection) offers more room for error when they get on the run.

Just an example cause a lot of factors go into it. If a pig is running at 30mph and I have is a 3" kill zone with a 5.56 then I'll have a 4,5 or 6" kill zone with a more damaging caliber. That allows me to kill more pigs out of every sounder and that's my goal

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wondering.......?.......why do some of the very same people that feel the 300BO is just fine for hogs,condem the 223Rem ??
300BO ----- 135gr @ 2127 = 1356fpe
223Rem ----- 55gr @ 3317 = 1344fpe

Note: My primary hog gun is a 6.8SPC II Bison/AR. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wondering.......?.......why do some of the very same people that feel the 300BO is just fine for hogs,condem the 223Rem ??
300BO ----- 135gr @ 2127 = 1356fpe
223Rem ----- 55gr @ 3317 = 1344fpe

Note: My primary hog gun is a 6.8SPC II Bison/AR. --- pruhdlr

Who are these same people? I use the blackout for a specific purpose. I've killed hogs with a .22 short also. Just saying I prefer a larger caliber than the .223 to anchor running hogs at off angles. But I'm a heavier bullet over velocity guy. By all means use the .223 if it works for you! It just wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice! :D

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually if I had a lightweight *** 308 AR I would be using that. I think you can get them to 7.5lbs from what I was told. But the 6.8 is what I have so that is what I use.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd like that to Frank. Still heavy when you add weight difference of the ammo. If I was sitting in a stand or stationary I'd use a .308 but I do to much walking. Plus getting in and out of the truck is much easier with a SBR. Not practical on a .308