120SST vs 100 GMX ballistic gel test.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The thing I like about the SST besides shooting well in my rifle is most if not all of the energy is dumped into the target. Pass through is a waste of energy IMO. I prefer the bullet to blow and stay inside the hog. I hunt ranches with livestock and I don't need a bullet going who knows where after it passes through.
^^^This X-1000.

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the point of the GMX is California and other states banning all but copper bullets? This gives Hornady an alternative to the 120 SST

And then sell that ammo in Academy Sports in Texas which has no ban on lead??
The thing I like about the SST besides shooting well in my rifle is most if not all of the energy is dumped into the target. Pass through is a waste of energy IMO. I prefer the bullet to blow and stay inside the hog. I hunt ranches with livestock and I don't need a bullet going who knows where after it passes through.

Exactly!! This is the philosophy that I prescribe to. I was elk hunting in New Mexico two years ago with the Berger VLD bullets and the round absolutely liquefied the heart with no pass through. DRT

I hunted plains game in Africa three years ago with the Barnes and every shot except for the one on the Kudu was a pass through.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So then what is the intent of the GMX? Isn't it for deeper penetration which is what your Gel test ended up showing?
My two cents is that the intent of th GMX is "marketing" the more options you offer, the more market share you can grab.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My two cents is that the intent of th GMX is "marketing" the more options you offer, the more market share you can grab.

They are preparing for the ban on lead in my opinion.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's fine with me. I have 1gal milk jugs filled with 52gr SMK's(.224"),168gr SMK's(.308"),and 190gr SMK's(.308").

Years ago you could go to Sierra with a container and simply say ... "fill 'er up". --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's fine with me. I have 1gal milk jugs filled with 52gr SMK's(.224"),168gr SMK's(.308"),and 190gr SMK's(.308").

Years ago you could go to Sierra with a container and simply say ... "fill 'er up". --- pruhdlr

Yes but just like with ducks if you get caught hunting with lead you face a fine and possible seisure of your gear.

Hopefully this won't happen I see it as passive gun control making it too expensive to shoot.

txhunter

If using the factory Hornady ammo (not reloading), is there any noticeable difference in knock down when shooting hogs (SST vs. GMX)?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If using the factory Hornady ammo (not reloading), is there any noticeable difference in knock down when shooting hogs (SST vs. GMX)?

Yes

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, he DID reply/answer. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know he thinks the 120SST works better from practical experience

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This sounds almost like my yes answer!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Todd, have you talked to your people at Hornady about when they are going to come out with a ELD-X in the 6.8 spc?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Todd, have you talked to your people at Hornady about when they are going to come out with a ELD-X in the 6.8 spc?
That bullet is not designed for the 6.8 ranges. I know I'm not Todd, but I thought I would answer.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought the ELD was just a different tip? because they have found out that the regular ones were melting. ELD Extremely Low Drag. The new polymer tip bullets? BANG BANG!!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm new to the 6.8 but loving the sst so far. 4 of 5 large boars drt last night including one 232 lbs shot in the shield. Other boar hit marginally in the gut and only went 15 yards.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I thought the ELD was just a different tip? because they have found out that the regular ones were melting. ELD Extremely Low Drag. The new polymer tip bullets? BANG BANG!!
It is a different tip, but it comes into play at higher velocities and extended ranges. Way past what I would consider the 6.8 for.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ELD-X is a long range hunting bullet the sst or gmx are great for the 6.8 effective range. The ELD-X is not needed in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: