120SST vs 100 GMX ballistic gel test.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Conducted this test using the LWRC Six8 16" barrel from 50 yards shooting factory Hornady SST and factory 100gr GMX ammunition.

The 120 SST performed as expected and penetrated 23 inches at a slight downward angle, producing a huge wound cavity. After cutting the bullet out it retained a weight of 99.3 grains.

The 100gr GMX also performed very well and penetrated 25 1/4th inches in a straight line, producing another large wound cavity. As expected the GMX retained 99.4 grains of its weight only loosing the plastic tip.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good, no wonder your hogs go down!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to see good performance from both of them.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Those are some good results. No wonder they are so effective.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 120 SST has always performed well. The GMX really susprised me and I hope that Hornady get the price down on these closer to the 120. That could put a hurt'n on the 95 TTSX

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very glad you put that up, I was surprised by the GMX and will shoot them now also. Nice to have another go to bullet. Would not like to get hit with either one of them. Thank you. BANG BANG!!!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
The all copper bullets seem to keep trajectory better then lead after impact. I think its due to the copper deforming uniformly, unlike the lead which will deform slightly off center. Getting lower cost copper bullets would be nice, the Barnes are still a little pricey. Some good competition might bring the prices down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The all copper bullets seem to keep trajectory better then lead after impact. I think its due to the copper deforming uniformly, unlike the lead which will deform slightly off center. Getting lower cost copper bullets would be nice, the Barnes are still a little pricey. Some good competition might bring the prices down.
No real reason to switch from the sst.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really like the fact that you shot the gel at 50 yards. I think I would be happy with either round. With that said, checking the data from Hornady, the GMX isn't getting much more velocity than the SST and is delivering less ft-lbs on target. I think I would stay with the SST as well.

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really like the fact that you shot the gel at 50 yards. I think I would be happy with either round. With that said, checking the data from Hornady, the GMX isn't getting much more velocity than the SST and is delivering less ft-lbs on target. I think I would stay with the SST as well.
Yes, for the factory Hornady loads:
at the muzzle the 100 grain GMX has a velocity of 2550 and a ft/lbs of energy of 1444 vs. the 120 grain SST with a velocity of 2460 and a ft/lbs of energy of 1612.

I prefer having more energy down range if I place the shot right but I would think the GMX would be better for going through the shoulder plate, bone, etc.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Just a heads up, check your local Academy stores for the 100 GMX. I was able to purchase a few boxes just under $23 a box.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, for the factory Hornady loads:
at the muzzle the 100 grain GMX has a velocity of 2550 and a ft/lbs of energy of 1444 vs. the 120 grain SST with a velocity of 2460 and a ft/lbs of energy of 1612.

I prefer having more energy down range if I place the shot right but I would think the GMX would be better for going through the shoulder plate, bone, etc.

I have not experienced penetration issues with the sst.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The success with the 120SST as documented by TLM is all that needs to be said and difficult to argue with, beside look at the price for the 120SST, talk about affordable killer ammo.

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The success with the 120SST as documented by TLM is all that needs to be said and difficult to argue with, beside look at the price for the 120SST, talk about affordable killer ammo.
Yeah, no argument.... But sounds like the GMX is for deeper penetration through tougher parts like bone. I personally haven't had any issues with my SST's which is why I stocked up on them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the point of the GMX is California and other states banning all but copper bullets? This gives Hornady an alternative to the 120 SST

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
California would be one aspect. The other is simply that many hunters don't appreciate bullets that come apart like the SST does. The prefer expansion with as much weight retention as possible instead of disintegration. Bullets that are all copper usually have excellent weight retention.

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
California would be one aspect. The other is simply that many hunters don't appreciate bullets that come apart like the SST does. The prefer expansion with as much weight retention as possible instead of disintegration. Bullets that are all copper usually have excellent weight retention.
Right, many hunters prefer maximum weight retention with pass-through for more blood loss and others prefer bullets like the Berger VLD which break up causing massive damage and therefore dumping all of the energy of the round into the animal. Two different trains of thought. Many hunters are divided on this topic.

But for hogs I like my SST's. Being from New York I don't get a lot of opportunity to test different rounds out on hogs so I stick with what I know works. I only make two trips a year down to Texas to hunt hogs.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The thing I like about the SST besides shooting well in my rifle is most if not all of the energy is dumped into the target. Pass through is a waste of energy IMO. I prefer the bullet to blow and stay inside the hog. I hunt ranches with livestock and I don't need a bullet going who knows where after it passes through.