west Texas 6x1 down

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We had seen this 6x1 buck on trail camera only a handful of times but never in day light. Camera pictures made him appear to be a freak horn, but I believe he was just broke up very early. Anyways...

Monday evening I saw him out at 325 yards but I'm not confident shooting a game animal at that distance. He eventually made his way in my direction though heavy brush and when I saw him step out broadside at 160 yards I touched off the 6.5.

The 120gr. TSX zipped through both shoulders, leaving a nice sized exit wound through the off shoulder (pictured). He never ran. He initially went airborne kicking, then when he hit the ground did a fast walk for about 20 yards and fell over. He weighed 175lbs on the hoof with hardly any fat on his body. He had multiple fight wounds, including two bad puncture wounds, a split lip, and antler tips broke off. He looked to have had quite the time running does and fighting bucks!

This was the first mature buck I had seen in person all deer season.

MFDC0175_zps045a2b3e.jpg

IMG_0288copy_zps84c1d137.jpg

IMG_20141209_111025176_HDR_zpscdda4fe0.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, fine buck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man that would have been a trophy next year!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice sized buck. Good job and cool gun!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good looking buck. It has always amazed me how they stick their tongues out. Final act of defiance since they can't shoot us the hoof.. Lots of bang bang around my house tonight near dusk.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah I know what you mean about the tongue thing. This one however, didn't have his tongue out. What you see in the picture is where his lip was split and healed over. Probably from some fight with another buck.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice job taking him out of the pool