Two Hogs with Wolf Military Classic FMJ 100 gr. Grendel Ammo

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know, sounds like a bad idea. I am not thinking it is a good idea. However, I do like trying new ammo. Sometimes, I get surprised with a golden nugget such as with the Speer TNT varmint ammo that does so darned well on hogs from my Grendel.

Wolf? FMJ 100 gr. that stinks to hell when you shoot it.

First hog, DRT head shot. Second hog, shoulder shot, quartered, should have done a lot of damage. Based on my estimation, the hog ran at least 400 yards before I lost sight of it.

Here is a video where a guy did a gel test with the same ammo. The gel test looks impressive, but I really don't think the results are transferring well to live hogs...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video too bad about the second hog.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting video indeed.
Looked like a good hit on hog #2, unfortunate that he didn't go down. The coyotes probably had a feast.

jonpace

Enjoyed the video Brian. Looked like a good shot on the 2nd hog. I've had similar experience with FMJ in larger calibers - seemingly well placed shots that didn't stop hogs as expected.

Many years ago, I used a Romanian PSL for hog hunting. Very few options for store bought ammo in 7.62x54r. Tried both FMJ and SP. Took a few shots with FMJ where I'd expect the hogs to drop or at least not run 50+ yards especially with the large caliber. Using SP ammo seemed to have better stopping power. That could've been just better shot placement... but switched to SP until I got rid of the PSL.

I'd still be curious to try FMJ again for my 6.5 Grendel. Maybe for smaller hogs. I love shooting the Grendel but don't shoot it much due to the price per round.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shot placement looked good, seems the bullet did a "One-A-Day" on ya. (those vitamins are reportedly found intact inside of honeybuckets). Sucks when they pass through without doing their intended job.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video. That second hog may be in the next county ! Looked like good placement to me too, but must not have tumbled. Be interesting to know what happened.