Through the fog 5 lone boars meet their demise.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out this weekend it was unseasonably warm, overcast and a heavy fog moved into the low areas. Do not think any hogs would have been taken without thermal, even then the mtm monocular was struggling I would just catch dull ghost like images then confirm with the apollo.

Every hog taken this weekend were lone boars no sounders at all, and very few coyotes were spotted seems like most beast stayed bedded down. The hogs seem to be moving from tree to tree (oaks/pecans) they are not even stopping at the feeders right now. I found two boars rooting one destroyed a 50 yard x 30 yard section, when the acorns run out I have a bad feeling its going to look like a moonscape from the rooting.

Uploaded a video I found it interesting you can see how the thermal degrades with the thick warm fog. Then for the last hog a small cold front blew in and the fog cleared. I should have taken some video with the night vision the luna illuminator and targeting lasers looked like something out of star wars!

Rooted up pasture.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shootin'. What was cool, was the mouse bouncing around for hog #2. Even his tail showed up.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shootin'. What was cool, was the mouse bouncing around for hog #2. Even his tail showed up.

It looks way more detailed in person I'm using a different DVR trying to get rid of the horizontal lines but its killing the resolution in the videos.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It looks way more detailed in person I'm using a different DVR trying to get rid of the horizontal lines but its killing the resolution in the videos.
Good to know. Still good image after the upload.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting there Todd, I like the birds coming off roost...sorta ho hum for you with them not running?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what was the distance on the shots, roughly

This is the apollo clip on so its only 1x magnification the closest was about 60 yards the farthest about 80 yards. Now I have the vortex 1-6x scope behind the thermal so I'm seeing 3-6x depending on my setting.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting there Todd, I like the birds coming off roost...sorta ho hum for you with them not running?

Well when its only one I prefer them not to run after I shoot! :) That was a murder of crows and it was very creepy after that, pitch black dark super foggy about a mile from my truck and they were making the craziest noises!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Nice shooting. The music made it really peaceful right up until the SST (i assume) slammed into the side of each boar. :)

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Lone boars would still be a lot of fun stalking up in. Good shooting, hold a lot steadier than I can off the sticks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lone boars would still be a lot of fun stalking up in. Good shooting, hold a lot steadier than I can off the sticks.
Lone boars are actually harder to stalk up on most of the time. With a sounder they make so much noise and are fighting so it covers your approach!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting and much more productive than my Sat night out, in which I got "insert crickets chirping sound here". You are right about the visibility - with fog/cloud cover I could barely see with the pvs14 unless the Luna IR was on max dial up. It did clear up just for a bit, perhaps when that cool front came through, and with the half moon suddenly it was very bright and I saw a lone boar making tracks far across a wheat field. I tried to catch up but he made it to cover. Good to see your success - thanks for posting.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This makes me Jones for a zeus just a little more.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This makes me Jones for a zeus just a little more.

This was the apollo the zeus would have looked a tad better with the 75mm lens.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I see it is the apollo. I just want a Zeuss. The idea of a clip on is cool, but taking things on and off my rifle makes me nervous about holding zero after my charge mishap a few days ago.

Never the less, the Apollo is a great unit if someone is looking for a clip on. Very versatile if it is the only thermal unit one buys. I have been impressed by the videos and when I looked through it during our hunt.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I too am thinking Zeus as I get antsy switching things around on my rifle. PVS/3xmag goes on/off my rifle multiple times during a hunt. Adding an Eotech & Luna totals 4 components, 3 of which require batteries. Having one single weapon sight on my hog dedicated suppressed SBR seems like it would simplify things. Simple is, as RD says, more gooder for me. If prices continue to decline I can get a 320 Zeus and a 320 spotter thermal for not much more than a 640 Apollo. Downside is loss of flexibility on multiple guns, but after careful consideration I don't see me using it much on other guns.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see it is the apollo. I just want a Zeuss. The idea of a clip on is cool, but taking things on and off my rifle makes me nervous about holding zero after my charge mishap a few days ago.

Never the less, the Apollo is a great unit if someone is looking for a clip on. Very versatile if it is the only thermal unit one buys. I have been impressed by the videos and when I looked through it during our hunt.

Taking a clip-on off and on in front of a day scope has no chance of changing your zero...right?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It will maintain around 1 MOA is what I have read.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Probably better than I can shoot anyway.