This Weekend's Hunts

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got together with some buddies to do some hog and predator hunting. We had a good time and after parting ways, I even managed a couple of hogs on my own...

I am pretty impressed with the Speer TNT 90 gr. bullet. Granted, it was flying out of my 22" Liberty barrel at 2920 fps, but with the light weight and low BC, it bleeds off energy pretty darned fast and I was not sure how it would do at distance. Energy would drop below the suggested 1000 ft. lbs after 210 yards or so and my shot was at 250. I had not intended to make such a long shot, thinking it was closer to 200-220, but the bullet impacted, went through a goodly amount of bone (including the spine with a nice tunnel burrowed through it) and doing all kinds of soft tissue damage before being stopped in the muscle of the opposite side shoulder blade after passing through it as well.

The second hog had 2 through and through shots, the first entered the left hip and exited the right buttock. The second was the kill shot that was basically through the heart.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice image on that PTS Good shooting again Brian. Thanks for sharing.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always enjoy your videos. That bullet really seems to work well.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looked like a good time for the hunters. Nice going!

Keep After 'Em!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A well rounded hunt, only thing missing is a Robert-Kitty, and an AB appearance. Did the kiddos get cookies?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always enjoy your videos. That bullet really seems to work well.

Yeah, I really had my doubts about a lightweight "varmint" round for hogs. However, it is turning out to work well on everything so far.

A well rounded hunt, only thing missing is a Robert-Kitty, and an AB appearance. Did the kiddos get cookies?

Cookies! I need to get some cookies!!!!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice videos. I like what I’m seeing with that large lens PTS. Have you felt hindered by the narrow field of view using it so far?

The 30 caliber 125 TNT is my go to hog bullet in blackout and 30 Herrett. It’s a very effective big game bullet especially at 2600 ft./sec from the Herrett. Mushrooms perfectly.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done Brother, love the vid!

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Yet again you post awesome and informative videos. Whereabouts in Texas do you usually hunt? I was outside the Houston area this past weekend and hogs were either not cooperating or they’ve moved onto greener pastures. Do you recommend any good guides? It seems hogs are always in good supply where you’re at. Thanks!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We are up, W and NW of DFW area. I have several properties I help take care of and my buddy, Dave, has a bunch more. We are spread over 6 counties. So getting on hogs involved a LOT of driving.

This was frustrating....right by the farmer's house. We are making arrangements for getting the bulls out and being able to shut in the hogs and then putting down the lot of them. This will be Rattlesnake Dan kind of action...

Down by Houston, I would strongly suggest Zack Thompson at Lone Star Wild. Lone Star Wild | Your Texas Outdoors Brand | Texas Outfitter & Guides Up in DFW, TLM is doing hunts.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome sauce as always. Steadily making great videos and steadily racking up kills and steadily reviewing new equipment!

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
We are up, W and NW of DFW area. I have several properties I help take care of and my buddy, Dave, has a bunch more. We are spread over 6 counties. So getting on hogs involved a LOT of driving.

This was frustrating....right by the farmer's house. We are making arrangements for getting the bulls out and being able to shut in the hogs and then putting down the lot of them. This will be Rattlesnake Dan kind of action...

Down by Houston, I would strongly suggest Zack Thompson at Lone Star Wild. Lone Star Wild | Your Texas Outdoors Brand | Texas Outfitter & Guides Up in DFW, TLM is doing hunts.
Thank you! Who is TLM? And do they have a link?