THERMAL SCOPE SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Have to thank all you folks for this great review. Are there enough new products on the market yet for a new one?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have to thank all you folks for this great review. Are there enough new products on the market yet for a new one?
Yes this is all old technology.

Marc Benson

So just a quick question for someone who might know. I see a lot of reviews on thermal scopes but I don't see IR Defense much. I am looking at a Mk II or an MKIII. A lot more money for a few more features, but I wonder if the scope itself is any different in terms of view power? Second question, who can tell me the real difference between 35mm and 60 mm, for $1,500 difference.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The MKII and MKIII have a little different firmware, the MKIII having some extra features (most of which I don't find hugely beneficial). So if you were choosing between the MKII 35mm 2.5x and the MKIII 35mm 2.5x for a .308 or smaller caliber, I would say that your money is best spent on the MKII. The MKIII, IIRC, should handle more recoil than the MKII, but otherwise, the general image and such is the same.

The difference between the 35mm and 60mm is HUGE as it also comes with a difference between 2.5x native magnification and 4.5x on the 60mm. If you are planning on doing shooting that is not inside of 50 yards or want to do much more long range shooting, then the 60mm is really the way to go. If you like stalking up close to hogs or other game, then the 60mm with 4.5x magnification (minimum) is just too much power, IMHO.

Marc Benson

The MKII and MKIII have a little different firmware, the MKIII having some extra features (most of which I don't find hugely beneficial). So if you were choosing between the MKII 35mm 2.5x and the MKIII 35mm 2.5x for a .308 or smaller caliber, I would say that your money is best spent on the MKII. The MKIII, IIRC, should handle more recoil than the MKII, but otherwise, the general image and such is the same.

The difference between the 35mm and 60mm is HUGE as it also comes with a difference between 2.5x native magnification and 4.5x on the 60mm. If you are planning on doing shooting that is not inside of 50 yards or want to do much more long range shooting, then the 60mm is really the way to go. If you like stalking up close to hogs or other game, then the 60mm with 4.5x magnification (minimum) is just too much power, IMHO.

Thanks again, I read your note to me before I read this, so you answered my questions and I appreciate it.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Marc,

I agree with Brian re the scopes.

One thing to keep in mind is that at night all you can see when looking through the scope is what is in the scope's field of view. It's different than during daylight, when looking through a 4.5x scope does not deprive you of perspective like it does at night.

Because of the perspective/FOV issues, I think 4.5x native is too much loss of FOV. And with the MK II or III's excellent view, zooming to 2x digital (total of 5x magnification) or even 4x digital zoom (total of 10x magnification) allows for plenty of zoom for longer shots without the loss of FOV and perspective.

Merry Christmas,

JPK

Marc Benson

Marc,

I agree with Brian re the scopes.

One thing to keep in mind is that at night all you can see when looking through the scope is what is in the scope's field of view. It's different than during daylight, when looking through a 4.5x scope does not deprive you of perspective like it does at night.

Because of the perspective/FOV issues, I think 4.5x native is too much loss of FOV. And with the MK II or III's excellent view, zooming to 2x digital (total of 5x magnification) or even 4x digital zoom (total of 10x magnification) allows for plenty of zoom for longer shots without the loss of FOV and perspective.

Merry Christmas,

JPK
Thank you very much. That helps too.

Marc Benson

Thank you very much. That helps too.

I do have one more question for you guys if you have the patience to answer it. I have a trijicon 4x and an aimpoint 5 x. Does it make sense to put the thermal in front of either of these and if so which one. Both are fixed magnification.

Thanks

Marc Benson

I do have one more question for you guys if you have the patience to answer it. I have a trijicon 4x and an aimpoint 5 x. Does it make sense to put the thermal in front of either of these and if so which one. Both are fixed magnification.

Thanks
Sorry, trijicon is an acog and the other unit is a Burris full field 5x

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You could do that with a clip-on such as an Armasight Apollo or IR Defense IR Sniper that are both 1x. However, for the money, I think I would rather go with a dedicated thermal weapon sight.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I agree with Brian. Get a dedicated thermal with a good QD mount - the MK II and III come with Larue QD mounts - and a good QD mount for your ACOG or Burris. And swapping out is no issue.

The extra weight and cost of a clip on are negatives. Better to spend the extra $'s and add any extra weight mounting a suppressor.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ultimate Night Vision, call them

znztivguy

LSB Member
So much work has gone into the original comparison....who thinks its time we did a more recent comparison with newer optics and perhaps include some mil surplus ones out there as well?