The $400 Cellular Game Cam Paid off!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LonePunMan picked one of these cams over a year ago and had good results, so I decided to take the leap and get one just before deer season.

After the October floods, and not seeing much rain to speak of, Around Christmas I started to notice less and less Hog movement in the hay fields. Since New years eve I've actually only seen one small sounder, and after shooting at them they were the last Ive seen. Then 6 weeks ago or so I got reports of activity on our easement road to one of the hay fields. Its 60 ft wide by about a mile long. I setup a feeder, 3 hog tubes, and the cellular game cam. Sure enough within the first week I had bagged two. Not to mention both neighbors on both sides of the road setup traps, and I had heard the one on the east side had trapped 26 hogs in one week.

Three weeks ago the camera stopped sending pictures. I had guessed the SD card was full, which it was, and once up and running two weeks ago Sunday, pictures started rolling in every night. Not only were the coons and the bunnies showing up every night but a good sized boar.

The road runs South to North, and I live a mile down the Hwy. Three times I had attempted to stalk up to the feeder, once with the wind solid on my back, and the others as you know the moon had been very bright the last couple of weeks. There were also a few times I simply went out early and sat in the back of the truck with a short table in the back of the truck and the bipod on the gun setup for an easy shot. Each time, I saw nothing even worth mentioning.

I got off from work at 5 Sat night, went out to dinner with the GF, and stated I had planned on going out for a bit to see what I could see. My first stop was at the main field by the bosses house. Nothing, nothing, nothing, No bunnies, no skunks, no coons, not even a deer. All I could see was the cows and horses in the neighbors fields. Having woke up very early I decided to take a peak at the road and call it a night.

I cut the lights off on the tuck and killed the motor and coasted past the gate and just off the road and popped out to take a peak. (The feeder is roughly 400 to 450 yards in from the gate) Just as the Thermal came online I spotted 2 hogs crossing the road about 125 yards from me. At the same time my left eye was open and saw a car coming down the road 1000 yards away or so right towards me. With a sigh the though of taking a shot would be a bad idea so I simply watched them dart back into the brush as the car approached.

Thankfully the road gets lots of traffic and the hogs are very used to it, however after watching for another 5 or so min I decided to call it a night and headed back to the house.

I wasn't in the door for 5 min and the cam sent the pic to my phone. I was back out the door and started my stock within 2 min. With the wind at my back again I decided not to even attempt to get any closer then 150 yards give or take. After setting up the tripod I accidently hit the poll of the tripod with the barrel of the gun creating a clink noise. My heart about sank. Even though the small boar on the right flinched, he stayed put.

I had thought he was facing towards me but as you can see in the pic he was facing the other direction. Not waiting for a good broad side shot, the round entered behind his shoulder and exited behind his ear hitting his spine on the way through. Needless to say he was DRT, and did the shake for 5 min or so.

All in all A nice quick hunt, and 10 more lbs of meat in the freezer.

16c6rn9.jpg

345y5pt.jpg

2v7zdip.jpg

27yyk5y.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like the freezer will be a little heavy soon. Much goodness there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure does take good pictures

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nothing wrong with that! Way to make that camera pay off.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
High tech ... thermal + wireless game cam = hog down. Awesome!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice I've been eyeing those cellular cams myself.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice I've been eyeing those cellular cams myself.

I'm sold on this brand. Lonepunman lent me his during deer season. I Had it setup close to the river. Long story short the flood waters got to it and it died. I was sick. Told him to pick another one up and I'd pay for it. He said hold on I'll send it back to the company and let's see what they do first. They ended up sending him a brand new one free of charge.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I'm running an El cheapo camera now. I'm interested in a cellular one. How often does it send texts? Can you turn it off or stop the messages with your phone? I'd hate to receive 500 texts a night while I'm busy and can't do nothing about it.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is good to hear. They're the Verizon model, correct? Been checking into these as well as thermal. The lease is almost 3 hours away and has good Verizon coverage. Not sure about AT&T.
If these work they'd be key to makin that long distance hunting situation easier to deal with.
Thanks for posting this. :cool:

I'm sold on this brand. Lonepunman lent me his during deer season. I Had it setup close to the river. Long story short the flood waters got to it and it died. I was sick. Told him to pick another one up and I'd pay for it. He said hold on I'll send it back to the company and let's see what they do first. They ended up sending him a brand new one free of charge.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm running an El cheapo camera now. I'm interested in a cellular one. How often does it send texts? Can you turn it off or stop the messages with your phone? I'd hate to receive 500 texts a night while I'm busy and can't do nothing about it.

You can set it to send pictures during set times, and also yes you can limit how often it sends a picture.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, good to hear either way. Least it sounds like the company stands behind their product.
I can't imagine the carrier would make that much difference if ya know there's good coverage in the area.:cool:
No. This one runs on at&t.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, good to hear either way. Least it sounds like the company stands behind their product.
I can't imagine the carrier would make that much difference if ya know there's good coverage in the area.:cool:

Yes the best part is being able to track activity without having a cruise down to the least every other day or trying to catch up as soon as you get there to hunt.