Slow 2 nights in North Texas

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got a chance to meet up with Afalex1 in Wichita Falls on Monday night for a couple nights of stalking hogs in the dark. The first night was really slow, but an excellent night for thermal. I couldn't believe how many skunks, raccoons, rabbits, and field mice we were seeing. Unfortunately, there weren't any hogs. Alex's once dependable honey hole was drying up. Around 11:00 we thought we spotted a lone hog mixing in with some cattle so we stopped and started to look a little closer. Sure enough, Alex identified a single hanging around the young cattle grazing in the pecan orchard. We got out and started our stalk, and soon realized we wouldn't be able to sneak up on a deaf person. It had snowed the night before and started to thaw then re-froze. The snow now sounded like we were walking on bags of potato chips with each step. As soon as we started, the cows got curious and wanted to check us out. Then they decided to run away, straight toward the hog we were trying to close the distance on. Realizing this was our best chance, we picked up the pace and got as close to the hog as we could before the cattle had cleared the firing lane. We had gotten to about 75 yards and set up for the count-down. We both fired at the exact same time and the hog went down instantly. Not a huge boar, but nice looking with some of the longest cutters I have seen in a long time. I went to the Lancer school of photography, so this is a masterpiece of photography.

After several more hours of driving around in the dark telling stories and seeing no more hogs, an unlucky raccoon payed the ultimate price for our frustrations. Alex asked me if I would like to shoot him with his suppressed .45ACP. I jumped at the chance and two well placed shots later he hit the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Night two was even less productive. The only bright spot was when we caught a coyote out in the open. Being the flash that I am, by the time I got out of the truck and set up for the shot, he had covered about 200 yds. Alex kept telling me I had better hurry up or he would be gone. I finally got set up and nuc'ed my MK II and made the shot. He went down instantly and kicked a few times. Alex advised me to stay on him just in case. Sure enough, after a few seconds, he gets up and starts running again. A bunch more shots later I watch him cross the fence to adjacent property never to be seen again. I have the worse luck recovering shot coyotes.

Anyway, It was a very enjoyable trip and fun to spend all those hours with Alex and practice with my new equipment. I don't have to kill every time I go out to still have a good time. Hopefully, Alex will add the video of the kill shot to the story. Its not very long, but fun to watch anyway.

I waited too long to post this, so I couldn't add it to the kill counter, but it was in 2015.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story and wow look at those cutters!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job you two! Nice boar too. Lots of good meals there. Who got the cutters?

Just post it in the 2016 list... it was 2016 somewhere. LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have the head. I'm going to try to clean it for a skull mount.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've read that you don't wanna do a hard boil, but a simmer. Less likely to have teeth fall out, or skull integrity compromised.

Give this thread a read for some input/considerations.

European mount project

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the link. I knew not to "boil" it, but some of the other suggestions were welcome.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You rock Chopper! Nice boar with great cutters, great job!
Those coyotes are crazy tough to kill.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In my life I have probably only shot about 6, but only two dropped on the spot. The others, I trailed for long distances finding guts, bone, etc, but never recovered the dog. I know they probably died, but I couldn't prove it.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is one cool looking hog!! GOOD ON YA!!! Way to go guys. You are right he does have some nice toofs!!! BANG BANG!!!

dman62

LSB Member
Beats staying home watching t.v.! Good looking boar for sure. I've had some coyotes disappear with crazy amounts of damage as well.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up on the story. Really nice cutters on your boar.
Would like to see some pics of your process cleaning the skull.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, think of poor Alex. He had to ride along with ME.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I more think Alex got the deal, just think of the Life experiences you can share!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But? Which one ate more chocolate each night?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hog Chopper!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That should make an awesome mount! Pictures please?

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice color hog ... happy hunting!