Six sows down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out to my neighbors place last night ran into a sounder of 10-15 in a big open field bad news for the piggys!

I sent my pro line thermals back for the firmware update so my LWRC rifles were bare of thermals. Since I'll be getting the others back in a few days I just pulled out my old 6.8 with the old zeus 75mm on it.

The group of hogs walked right past me into the field I just happened to be upwind so it was almost perfect but the all had their rears facing me, finally when they got to about 60 yards one of the bigger ones gave me a nice broadside shot pssstttt thump and she went down drt. Dropped two more with the next two shots, then hit a fourth in the rear as they ran off. The fourth one did not go down and as I squeezed off the next shot I got a click and they were gone before I could clear the malfunction.

As I walked out to look at the downed hogs I noticed the rest had only ran about 50 yards and stopped. I was using the yhm titanium 30 caliber suppressor and it was sounding really quiet last night!

So I took aim pop pssstttt thud the first goes down, the rest run right at me and away from the bullet impact sound. I get a good lead squeeze and click uggh. Ended up getting two more with a jam between each shot for a total of six, three pregnant sows and the young sows may be a 7th out there I'll look this afternoon.

Sorry no video I guess clearing the malfunction I pulled a cable or something and the file is corrupted.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back to basics, huh? An *** barrel and all. Six down is a fine hunt, especially with pregnant sows. Good chootin' Kemosabe ! Too many clicks though... ammo issue, or gun issue? Little too much shoulder bump for that chamber? Firing pin ok?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Saturday afternoon story about the the pigs in the field!!!:) Good on ya!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a shame that is your jamomatic gun, cost you more pigs and video, that sucks!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back to basics, huh? An *** barrel and all. Six down is a fine hunt, especially with pregnant sows. Good chootin' Kemosabe ! Too many clicks though... ammo issue, or gun issue? Little too much shoulder bump for that chamber? Firing pin ok?

It fails to extract sometimes I've tried two separate bolts now and it still does it. It will work fine for a while then it does it again. This was factory 120sst 's and the brass came out easy it just fails to grab sometimes.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No ripping marks on the brass, consistent with a timing issue (trying to extract before the brass relaxes)? Anything between the claw and bolt face (like brass bits)? M'be time to replace the claw (worn)?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Gotta hate the click noise!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
6 down is still great.

Figure if a gun works great one night and then the next time you go out it doesn't , something is happening between when it does and when it doesn't. The error is failure to extract.

So what are the possibilities?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'll give possibilities.

From Todd, gun failed to exract. Empty case left in chamber. Same ammo used. Todd can verify this, but I'm guessing the bolt came all the way back and tried chambering the next round.

Almost every time it is the extractor spring and/or buffer. But this gun has new new spring and buffer in the superbolt.

So, possibly a piece of brass getting caught between the extractor and bolt.

Possibly bad extractor.
Possibly dirt.
Possibly a bad extractor and/or buffer. But what would cause it to go bad?
Gas tube issue?
Gas key issue?
Timing, unlocking too late?
Headspace?
Many of the above interrelate

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job for having bad luck. That's a demonstration of weapon discipline knowing exactly what is necessary to clear the jam and stay on target at the same time.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I fired two mags through the rifle today not one jam, no cleaning nothing it's a random issue. Very frustrating for many reasons but mostly because it's so strange.

Took the LWRC razorback out tonight with an old Apollo on it just did not want to chance it. Got 7 out of one group.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go..solution is dump the rifle, give it away in a LSB contest and be done w it!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll take the optic.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I fired two mags through the rifle today not one jam, no cleaning nothing it's a random issue. Very frustrating for many reasons but mostly because it's so strange.

Took the LWRC razorback out tonight with an old Apollo on it just did not want to chance it. Got 7 out of one group.

Yes it is strange. If brass is clean, rim not damaged, then can check first the extractor. Push over with thumb, should be really hard to move, but should, otherwise particles are causing it to hang up.

My thoughts are over gassing. A few things are possible. Since it's a simple setup, ************** barrel and superbolt, other factors come in to play. The use of a suppressor without an adjustable gas block can cause several problems. Unlock of the carrier/bolt timing, chamber pressure, and dirt. Needs an adjustable gas block. Quick test, don't use the suppressor and wear ear plugs. Lol

As for dumping the gun, I'll take it, only people that can't figure things out or don't have the ability would suggest to give up.

I'll make the changes, take a video of the shooting of the gun with all kinds of ammo with different multiple suppressors.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go..solution is dump the rifle, give it away in a LSB contest and be done w it!

It's way to accurate and lightweight perfect gun for my kids someday just need to figure out the problem.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea the 6.8 is a great rifle for children, low recoil and you more than anyone knows what it can do on game.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Quick test, don't use the suppressor and wear ear plugs. Lol

I'll make the changes, take a video of the shooting of the gun with all kinds of ammo with different multiple suppressors.

Problem is its been shot with multiple cans ammo and unsupressed, (this is the rifle I let guest shoot) it does fine for long periods of time then bam. I would say over gassing also if it did not do it even when manually operating bolt. It fails to extract just pulling the charging handle have to tap it on the ground with the bolt locked back.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That is really strange. Never heard anything like it. But things happen. I just have to look it over. I'll find what the issue is.

As for the 6.8 for the kids and hunting. This huge bodied (said it weighed 295) Axis was shot at 145 yards with a 6.8 I just built for a him. Dropped in its tracks. Bullet, 100gr Hornady GMX:

160908832.jpg