Problem... I'm a smoker. Need alternative while hunting...

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Unfortunately, I'm addicted to nicotine. It is very difficult for me to sit for hours while hunting without my 'fix'.
I was wondering if any of you have the same issue and what you do to satisfy the craving while in the stand? There's nicotine gum, Copenhagen, Skoal, etc.... what works best for you? I have to assume that if I smoke in the stand, the hunt is over as far as hogs are concerned.
Thanks for any advice.

-John

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just quit. I smoked for about 16 years and put them down cold turkey and haven't had one in over 5 years. My problem is is stared dipping Skoal for same reasons you stated and it's been 10 times harder to stop. Just give it up if you can. But to answer your question Skoal is good stuff. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well I am a bad boy, always smoke and never had it run them off. a 12' tower helps, but if on the ground or a short stand, so does scent, if no hog scent I use any deer scent mixed w water to thin it down and go further spray it all the time. Nico gum helps alot, they also have a lozenge. Jerky is better...lol

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i throw all my cig butts in the corn and got the hogs addicted,,,, now when i light a cig they come running

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think mine eat the butts, I never see any

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I think I'll try Skoal for now and will also be sure to spray down well with scent killer.
I've quit before. It was for four yrs, but then started a business and stress set in. I started again.
Of course I should just quit, but I need to get mentally prepared for that time and am going hunting next weekend. Not an excuse, just reality.

Thanks guys

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to smoke in my tree stand...a lot. When I quit I started seeing a whole lot more deer, quite a lot more and close. Pretty sure they smelled it from a long ways off.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot a deer a year as no one here eats them so I kill for others, I have been smoking each time I killed one the last 3 years

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tell you the truth, I think it is an issue for some animals and not for others. It's like IR lights, I can get tons of pics with no adverse reactions and every once in a while a hog or deer will be scared to death when the light flashes. You can see the reaction on the pictures. (talking about game cameras)

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I tell you the truth, I think it is an issue for some animals and not for others. It's like IR lights, I can get tons of pics with no adverse reactions and every once in a while a hog or deer will be scared to death when the light flashes. You can see the reaction on the pictures. (talking about game cameras)
Were you smoking while hunting hogs? Did it seem to keep them from coming in?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I quit 10 yrs ago but before that I hunted hogs and Javelinas when I smoked. It's the ones you don't see that never tell you the whole story. You know what I mean.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Like Dan says, I smoke hunting hogs at time and they are all over but when they don't show is the smell why? you never know, but odds are they smelled you. I smoke at the lease all the time so mine are pretty use to my smoke, truck and pee but seldom do I see them till later after I leave or leave and walk back in.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jus ordered some xxl zip loca and earth scent tabs... Gonna get my ghillie suit and hunting gear scented right.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just start a fire in a fire ring or safe place and let it burn while you are there. Good cover scent and gets them used to it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what is a zip loca tab?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was afraid to ask...might not want to know

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It might be spainish for zip lock.... But I had a couple tequilas so probably jus me not checkin my post prior to replying

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok then what is an earth scent tab?