Mr. Big Bacon

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
About a week ago I got to go on another solo hunt. I popped a smaller sow as she cruised by my truck in a field. I was quick enough to get her two companions before they were out of sight. I was still testing the 90 grain gold dot. The sow dropped with a shot the went in her shoulder and out her neck. Here are the pictures of the entrance and exit wounds. I used my knife to shave back the hair.

Exit

Entrance

As the night progressed I found a sounder of 18 hogs chowing down in some really old growth pecan orchards. I stalked in and made my shots and missed a lot. I was not having a good night of shooting and something just felt off with my shooting. In the end I had only knocked down one hog and was disappointed until I walked up to him.

295 POUNDS!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Later I ran into another sounder. I stalked in to about 40 yards and got busted. One sow made a huff sound and they all started boogying to the next county. I was able to take two.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good hog there, thin them out!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a beast ! You fergot you contest sign Alex. Congrats on some fine hogs, 'specially that ol' bruiser.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dandy pigs. Nice going and some nice pictures. 295 That is a big one. BANG BANG!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What a beast ! You fergot you contest sign Alex. Congrats on some fine hogs, 'specially that ol' bruiser.

I'm not submitting him to the contest because I am a vendor and don't feel it would be fair if I won. I thought about posting a picture of him in that thread just to keep it going and stating I am not competing for the win, but then I felt this big boy deserved his own thread.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He does deserve his own thread, how old, did you age him? Tough old boy, you did good.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, that's pretty durn good - I'd like to have one of your "off" nights.

Instead of your shooting being off, wonder if you hit some with the GD's that ran off?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
nice hogs, fat sows and big boar, congrats Alex

as for the Gold Dots, what do you think so far?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Hogs. The smaller ones would be good eating, one is already gutted. lol How old do you suppose that big boy is?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job Alex. I hope to rigged up for better night hunting soon. Hope I can have an off night like that.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
nice hogs, fat sows and big boar, congrats Alex

as for the Gold Dots, what do you think so far?

I think the gold does work great for someone looking to shoot 1-2 hogs that are stationary and for eating. They do not disrupt tissue enough to stop a hog in his tracks while running. However, a shot placed in the boiler room or neck/head did the trick every time. I shoot a lot of hogs on the run for eradication and the gold dots just don't stop them. The exit wounds are never a whole lot larger than the entrance compared to the damage a 120 sst does. In short....I ordered more 120 sst bullets 2 days ago. Anyone want to buy a few hundred gold dots? Just kidding. I'll use them for training new shooters and my wife on paper.

I actually don't know how to age a hog. I have his skull and am going to make it a euro mount today so I can still do it if it is teeth related.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm#aging

How Old is That Pig?
. Nearly every time one of my hunters shoots a hog, I hear that question; how old do you think that pig is? Well, until they are five (the pig, not the hunter), that's a relatively easy question to answer with a set of jaw spreaders and a flashlight. All you have to do is examine their teeth.
The exact things to look for are all to be found on the rear most jaw teeth. You can ignore the front teeth, the tusks, and the Euro teeth, if present. The Euro tooth is a very small tooth, a short distance rearward of the tusk on each jaw. Only European Boar and hybrids of domestic pigs and Boar will have these teeth.
eurotoothhog.JPG

The Euro tooth of a feral hog/european boar hybrid
Photo from www.texasboars.com .
On sows and boar less than 18 months old, there will normally be three adjoining teeth in this rear most position. The first two are thin, looking much like a human canine tooth in shape. The third will be a tricuspid molar. Tricuspid means it will appear to have three parts or columns joined together to form the one tooth. . By the time the hog hits it's second birthday, a fourth tooth, a bicuspid molar (two parts or columns), will have also fully erupted through the gum line.
. #3 is tricuspid - #4 is bicuspid
2yrhog.JPG

jaw teeth of a 2 year old feral hog
From nearly two years old, until about 2 and a half years, the pig will loose the first three teeth, one at a time, and replace them. The two thin tooth replacements will look the same (except newer). The tricuspid molar becomes a large, bicuspid molar.
By the hog's third birthday, a fifth tooth, another bicuspid molar, will have erupted through the gum line.
By the hog's fourth birthday, a sixth tooth, a tricuspid molar, will have partially erupted through the gum line, showing two of the three cusps.
By the fifth year, that sixth tooth will be fully erupted. From now on, the only way to know how old the hog is, is by the amount of wear shown on the teeth. No more teeth will show up. When all these molars are all worn out, at about age eight, the hog can no longer get the nutrition they need from what they eat and they rapidly begin to decline in health. It is rare for a wild hog to live past eight years old.

5yrhog.JPG

Jaw teeth of a 5 year old wild hog
Photo from www.texasboars.com
. To oversimplify this whole process, you can generally just count the rear jaw teeth on one jaw, and subtract two to get the age of your hog. That is, as long as they are less than four years old. If that sixth tooth is fully exposed (all three cusps), the pig is at least five.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, yeah I was not sure as the cutter could be broken to look like he is old only the molars can tell you..always interesting to me. was the euro tooth there?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nicely done, Alex! I really like the exit wound crater image.

The exact things to look for are all to be found on the rear most jaw teeth. You can ignore the front teeth, the tusks, and the Euro teeth, if present. The Euro tooth is a very small tooth, a short distance rearward of the tusk on each jaw. Only European Boar and hybrids of domestic pigs and Boar will have these teeth.
The Euro tooth of a feral hog/european boar hybrid

Just as a side note, this business about the "Euro tooth" is a complete fabrication. You can go on the internet and find domestic hogs with it, ferals, Russians, and hybrids. It is simply the first lower premolar. Like our 3rd molars (wisdom teeth), it is becoming vestigial. That basically means that hogs are losing this tooth evolutionarily. Just like not all people develop wisdom teeth, not all hogs develop the lower first premolar. Whether or not a hog has this tooth has nothing to do with whether it is feral, hybrid, full blood Russian, or domestic.

#3 is tricuspid - #4 is bicuspid

Actually, what they are calling cusps might better be called "lophs" of the tooth. The #4 tooth is actually the first molar and technically, it is a quadrate or quadritubercular tooth with 4 cusps. www.texasboars.com is not a good place for understanding dental anatomy even if they have their ages about right.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nicely done, Alex! I really like the exit wound crater image.

Just as a side note, this business about the "Euro tooth" is a complete fabrication. You can go on the internet and find domestic hogs with it, ferals, Russians, and hybrids. It is simply the first lower premolar. Like our 3rd molars (wisdom teeth), it is becoming vestigial. That basically means that hogs are losing this tooth evolutionarily. Just like not all people develop wisdom teeth, not all hogs develop the lower first premolar. Whether or not a hog has this tooth has nothing to do with whether it is feral, hybrid, full blood Russian, or domestic.

Actually, what they are calling cusps might better be called "lophs" of the tooth. The #4 tooth is actually the first molar and technically, it is a quadrate or quadritubercular tooth with 4 cusps. www.texasboars.com is not a good place for understanding dental anatomy even if they have their ages about right.

Your points are well made and I agree with you on tooth names given your background. However, their descriptions made it easy for me too understand what teeth he was referring to. Laymen terms, more or less.

Thank you for the help all. Maybe now I need to cut some hog jaws off. Clean them and post examples on our forum. Nothing against texas boars, but I like to have our own information.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great idea there Kemosabe.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is great. Now I need to go out and find out how old our pig was.