Magnetic mount for ir light

darrohn801

LSB Member
I'm looking at purchasing the ir light from UNV and would like to be able to run it from the hood or roof of my car but not be permenant on my truck and be able to take it off. My questions are:

1- Do any of you have a system like magnets or some other way to temporarily attach these lights to your car or UTV?

2- For a temporary hook up what is the best way to get power to them?

3- does anyone run these currently and have any reviews or feedback on them?

10 inch Infrared LED Light Bar

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
THIS IS A VERY COOL LIGHT!!!!!

Word of warning, tell the tech guy that he wont be able to see the emitters. they are not used to the best

D

djones

holy crap. mine just arrived. this baby looks and feels heavy duty. my old ir led light bar was off a military humvee. the 24 volt system. it worked well for many years but finally rattled apart, i guess. had it mounted it on the grill guard. used 18 wheeler mud flaps to cushion it but it took a lot of abuse up there. i fastened it each time i needed it with wing nuts and had a wireless remote on/off switch. there's a lot of moon now so i won't be in any hurry to get it rigged up, but i'll let you know how it goes.

i also have the ir golite spotlight. it's roof mounted with a magnet and holds up very well. i think i'd have to roll the truck to knock it off. if you could rig up a magnet as good as theirs, i believe it would work

Last edited by a moderator:

rich20730

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
THIS IS A VERY COOL LIGHT!!!!!

Word of warning, tell the tech guy that he wont be able to see the emitters. they are not used to the best

Good point! My buddy just had his installed by a local car audio shop and the installers were confused, thinking they were defective. Hopefully they didn't spend too much time staring directly into the LED's at close range :eek:

D

djones

yes. yes he did. for that, i may allow him to lick my dirt clod.

this light is sorta heavy. i think i'd prefer the mounting version that has two magnets on each side.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
D

djones

on second thought, the double magnets may be too hard to pull up. the golite has a 200lb magnet but it pulls up easily when lifting one side. not sure how hard it would be to pull up one side of doubles with the other side still stuck.

larson electronics has some 100lb magnets that i might try later. i think the ones listed at the top here are only 22 pounds (10kg). pretty sure OinK will knock those off when he slides over the hood when hes in a hurry to start blazing. i've got some home made brackets i'll try in the meantime.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are not for hiway use, just off road and will hold just fine unless you drive like Sum Ting Wong shoots

D

djones

i used some flat bar stock to make some L brackets that bolt together, effectively clamping them to the grill guard. tightened with wrenches so it was very sturdy. i used the sliding support mounts that came with the light and bolted them to the tops of my brackets. i wasn't sure about them, but they were also very sturdy. nothing's worse than having a light vibrate while you're trying to see through the illumination. i think the brackets that came with it would work equally as well if your application called for mounting on the sides of the light.

i thought more about the magnets and almost got two of the 100lb magnets but i think they were 3.25 inches in diameter. i wanted them on the front of my hood and it was sloped just enough that i didn't think they would make solid contact. i set a ruler on the hood and it loses contact past 2.5 inches. it would probably work on the top, but i didn't want to run the cord up there and i already have an ir spotlight there anyway.

if my brackets didn't work i would have gone with this...
Bar Clamp Mount for Permanent Mount and Magnetic Mount Spotlights - BC-1 - 7/8" - 1.75" Diameter - Larson Electronics

ps - the light works very well for driving. turnrows light up very well but you will want a more powerful spotlight for open fields. it's not the spotlight that the ir golite is, but it's not supposed to be.