Latest knife project

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I started this project last fall shortly before hunting season. My hope was to finish in time to test it on some dead animals, but alas I am easily distracted and just finished it this week. As a lot of my projects go, I got bored with the tediousness of trying to make it as close to perfect as I can and opted to “just get it done” so that I could either accept the design or scrap it and start over. Therefore, it has some deep scratches that I didn’t want to take the time to get out and the handle isn’t as nice as I would like, but it should be functional. A couple years ago I was at a gun/knife show and saw a sharp finger styled skinning knife that had much thicker steel than usual, but couldn’t afford the $125 price tag. The maker said that he used thicker steel so that the knife would be capable of uses other than just skinning. Having one knife to complete the processing has always been an idea that I liked, especially for hogs.

Having watched several you tube videos on knife making, I felt like I was probably an expert and ready to tackle this project.

While changing the blades on my riding lawnmower, I thought the worn out blade was a decent thickness for what I wanted to try and it was free. What more could I ask for. I first did a drawing of what I thought would be a good blade design on some cardboard and cut it out to see how it felt. Next, I transferred the design to the blank blade and moved it around to find the best place and used the center hole as a basis for the transition from the handle to the blade. Using a variety of tools (port-a-band, bench grinder, and belt grinder) I was able to get the basic design roughed out. All this went pretty quick, so I was encouraged with the prospect of getting it done soon. This euphoria didn’t last long as my ADD kicked in and I was soon distracted and on to another project. (LOOK!!! Shiny things!!)

As the months ticked by, I would pick it up and work for a little while and then put it away for weeks at a time. Eventually, I got to the point of trying to heat treat the blade. I set up a temporary forge using fire bricks and a propane weed burner. Not knowing what type of steel I had, I did a test with some pieces that were left over from cutting up the donor blade. I didn’t get satisfactory results from either water or oil quenching and decided that my forge just wasn’t getting hot enough. Not wanting to take the time to build a different forge, I repeated the test with an acetylene torch. This turned out better, but I still doubted the hardness of the metal.

At this point I abandoned the idea of using high quality (expensive) stabilized wood for the handle and decided it would be more of a, “bush craft”, proof of concept knife that should be functional enough to determine if I want to duplicate it with better quality materials. I had some laminated material left over from a previous knife project and that got recruited for this one.

I made some cheap loveless style bolts out of stainless bolts and brass nuts for a two tone effect and also epoxied the handle scales on.

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/dkhebert10/media/IMG_1023_zpsn7gkbdn6.jpg.html]

I brought the finished knife to work with me to try to do the final sharpening and after taking 2 days to get just a fair edge on the blade, have come to the conclusion that it must be a lot harder than I suspected. Time will tell if the design and the durability of the knife will be worth the effort.

Now to go kill something and try it out for real.[/URL]

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks. It feels good in your hand too. Kind of "manly" with a good weight.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Finger Cut.jpg Stitches.jpg
Blade.jpg
No question about the hardness of the blades and no question as to sharpness from my experiences. No it wasn't running when I attempted to change blades. The blade got away from me and spun around and cut me long deep and continuous. You can see in the last photo the jagged edge that got me:eek:

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Loss of feeling in the end of the finger but no loss of functionality or mobility, thank goodness.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yer Chopperness? Did'ja temper after hardening the blade? Could be a tad brittle if ya didn't. Kinda reminds me of a Case Old Timer I have. Nice lookin' knife there Kemosabe.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
rrv333... I missed it the first time, do it again !!! LOL That'll leave a mark for a spell. Nasty slash there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That has a different look, how does it feel cutting w it.

STOP cutting yourself and posting! I did not carry a knife for 30 years because I was always cutting myself!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've found that the sharper the knife, the less I cut myself.

RD I did temper it with two cycles in the oven at 400 degrees letting it cool to room temperature each time.

The only thing I have cut with it so far is paper. I'm still not satisfied with the edge yet, but it cuts paper pretty good. Still has some very fine roughness along the sharp edge that drags on the paper as it is cutting. It will probably cut pig or finger pretty good, but I will wait for pig to try it on.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Try stropping. Glue some leather to a scrap of Masonite, rub a bunch of Jeweler's Rouge on it and polish that edge up. If you do two of them, some "green" (rougher) on one, and "white (finer) on the other one.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is that the same as white buffing compound. I have used some of that to polish the blade after sanding to 1500 grit.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When I get home, I have a Japanese 3000 grit water stone that should clean it up nicely too.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Indeed. Also... wet/dry sand paper taped to a piece of glass, or a slab of flat stone will work nicely too.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Impressive, hopefully u get the edge up to your satisfaction and some dead pigs to test on on soon

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
View attachment 3202 View attachment 3203
View attachment 3204
No question about the hardness of the blades and no question as to sharpness from my experiences. No it wasn't running when I attempted to change blades. The blade got away from me and spun around and cut me long deep and continuous. You can see in the last photo the jagged edge that got me:eek:
What in the world did you do to that blade to mangle it up like that? In the future, you don't have to cut the bejeezus out of yourself just to emphasize our post on knives.;)

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My wife thinks that with a riding mower; everything is fair game. A stump she ran over caused it to bend like it did at the end of the blade. Chopperdrvr, I'll heed your advice and leave the cutting to the professionals.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah please because that cut looks nasty and hurt alot!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My wife thinks that with a riding mower; everything is fair game. A stump she ran over caused it to bend like it did at the end of the blade. Chopperdrvr, I'll heed your advice and leave the cutting to the professionals.
I can't even look at that finger...nasty! Ouch!!!