Knife picture thread

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have quite a few blades. All of different sizes and shapes. They are hard to store with any rhyme or reason. I just store them on the top shelf of a safe that I made a custom interior for. I store the ones that I "could" use normally, in a place that I can get to them rather easily. The others,like the one pictured above,is stored in the "deep cover" of another safe.

The blades are all kept wiped down with Break Free CLP. Some of the blades that have sentimental value, I have to really consider what I put on them as not to change the finish,color,or normally accumulated markings to the blade itself,bolsters,hilt, or handle. If you own any blades that are the expensive,higher quality blades,you can actually reduce the value,trying to keep it.....uhhh....pretty. (same as a firearm)

I am not an "expert" in this....just do what I can. --- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can I get a amen...........
With that said I am looking for a great Bowie knife to carry in the woods. My SOG Flash 2 is a great pocket knife. But looking for something more to hunt with. Any suggestions.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With that said I am looking for a great Bowie knife to carry in the woods. My SOG Flash 2 is a great pocket knife. But looking for something more to hunt with. Any suggestions.
What kind of price range?

High Carbon Steel to allow striking a fero rod.
Full tank construction.
Minimum= 4 1/2" blade length.
Nice to have a loop on the sheath for a fero rod.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not sure what price range I have wlooked at some with some with Damcus,steel blades I,really like the looks the price not so much 10" or more what a good looking custom or great mfg. knife. The randle is nice but I might not be around to enjoy at 4.5 years to,get I would entertain any thing you suggest and as always thanks!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been looking at Bowie knives by Nelson's Mountain Hollow some sweet knives let me me what you think.

I rally like the baby Bowie engraved she looks sweet I would say that is the max would pay

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At $1450.00 I'd say that's a beaut !!!! Fossil Walrus Ivory is way cool. Almost too Purdy to use. LOL And, I think I'd have a different means of striking a fero rod.

bowie-baby-engraved.jpg

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got my new field kit

image.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like both of my Outdoor Edge knives. Don't know if they still make 'em or not.... based off that little pistol grip for the bone saw. I like the chest spreader. Nice kit.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The handles on them are really nice, I thought the spreader would be really cheap but it's sturdy. I'll find out how sturdy if I go deer hunting this fall in ga. I have used the filet knife for cleaning fish and even through bones to take the head off it stays really sharp. I haven't had to sharpen it really but the sharpener with it works really well

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At $1450.00 I'd say that's a beaut !!!! Fossil Walrus Ivory is way cool. Almost too Purdy to use. LOL And, I think I'd have a different means of striking a fero rod.

bowie-baby-engraved.jpg
Yea maybe use a magnesium match just rub the case when I saw her I think I feel in love. She is an amazing looking knife they have several others I like but this one was my favorite.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So you guys that have a lot of knives. How do you store them? Any special way? I am starting to get more and they are piling up and need a better way to keep them organized.
Me? I've got knives everywhere. I've got 'em in various packs that have hunting gear in, I have 'em layin' around the house, I have 'em in a shoe box under my bed... they're everywhere. The leather sheaths, I try to keep them oiled up, that helps keep the moisture at bay. It also helps to keep the leather supple and better protects the leather from salt staining from sweat. Stainless blades, I just make sure they're clean and wiped down before stowing them. The HC steel blades, I try to keep them oiled a little more religiously.

I suppose a feller COULD make himself a wood/glass display case for such things, line it with some felt, or silk... what ever floats yer boat. Or, they could go into an ammo can. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just keep em away from those who think they are a prying tool. WAAA WAAA
LOL I unnerstan'.

Many moons ago, prior to my father retiring, he had moved back to Kotzebue, AK where he was born/raised. One year, I bought him a knife for his birthday. Later in the year, I noticed he didn't have his knife... so, I bought him one for his NEXT birthday. This pattern went on for about half a dozen years. He was always tickled with getting a new knife... but, one year, he was almost a little down when he opened his "new knife". I asked him... what's the matter? Don't like it? NO, I love it (was his reply)... but, I keep losing them, breaking them... and I feel bad about that. So... I asked him, do you think of me each time you use it? "Absolutely !!" Does it gets used daily? "You KNOW it !" Then? What's the problem? I KNOW what to get you for your birthday, and that it won't just be a dust collector... but, something you'll reach for on a daily basis. "OHHH... well then... (big smile)". That took care of that dilemma.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love the story RD...well done!

JamesB74

LSB Member
Me? I've got knives everywhere. I've got 'em in various packs that have hunting gear in, I have 'em layin' around the house, I have 'em in a shoe box under my bed... they're everywhere. The leather sheaths, I try to keep them oiled up, that helps keep the moisture at bay. It also helps to keep the leather supple and better protects the leather from salt staining from sweat. Stainless blades, I just make sure they're clean and wiped down before stowing them. The HC steel blades, I try to keep them oiled a little more religiously.

I suppose a feller COULD make himself a wood/glass display case for such things, line it with some felt, or silk... what ever floats yer boat. Or, they could go into an ammo can. LOL
I was just thinking about storage. Like a tool roll or something. I don't want to dis-p[lay them because then people will want to put their meat hooks on them.

Cool story by the way.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any thing to do with my Dad who just turned 83. I would want to show off. His time is short so I appreciate him more very day. Mom passed this a July.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

bowie-baby-engraved.jpg
Hey RD instead of buying that beautiful knife I would be afraid to use because it looks to good. I bought two suppressors which I am not afraid to,use. Lol

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My new hunting knife and did not break the bank.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey RD instead of buying that beautiful knife I would be afraid to use because it looks to good. I bought two suppressors which I am not afraid to,use. Lol

My new hunting knife and did not break the bank.

Nuttin' wrong with that... especially as that "knife that I could've had" haunts you enough that you end up buying it TOO. LOL Good lookin' sticker there.