I went hog hunting with 300 Blackouts!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rob Silvers. Not only was he affiliated with AAC, but, claimed to be on the Remington R&D staff as well. His behavior on 68forums was bad enough... but, his tactics on every other forum he could get access to was even worse towards the 6.8 (all his lies). He got himself banned from a good number of the forums for his behavior and tactics.
He was an engineer for aac he left and did his own thing stirring up stuff for fun, I'm not going to let a troll stop me from using something, do I still think the 6.8 is better he'll yea, but the idea of not losing very much if any from a short barrel has me intrigued. The blackout seemed to do very well with the barnes bullets, I'm curious to see how it will do with something like the cavity back bullets.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know that you're talking about the 300!! What I asked was what do you mean full power? Do you mean that it has burned all of the powder in 10.5"? From 16" to 10" the 300 BO loses about 200 FPS, depending on the bullet. So a 16" will have more power than the 10".

I just threw the 6.8 numbers up there hoping someone would have the numbers on a 300 in SBR

I'll find out for myself soon I already have a 16" and in the process of picking a sbr blackout. Who knows but the people who shoot it claim full burn at 10.5" a few say 12".

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the Bison sub 6.8 specialty barrel would easily out perform the 300wtf but the ammo is hard to get.

The 6.8 Bison Subsonic Platform

The Bison Armory 6.8 BSP consists of a rifle chambered in 6.8 SPC II, with a fast 1:7" rifling twist rate and a 6.8 SPC cartridge loaded with a custom made 200 grain bullet. The purpose of this configuration is to create an effective combined subsonic / full power platform for hunting and tactical situations.

6.8 Bison Subsonic Platform (6.8 BSP)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the Bison sub 6.8 specialty barrel would easily out perform the 300wtf but the ammo is hard to get.

The 6.8 Bison Subsonic Platform

The Bison Armory 6.8 BSP consists of a rifle chambered in 6.8 SPC II, with a fast 1:7" rifling twist rate and a 6.8 SPC cartridge loaded with a custom made 200 grain bullet. The purpose of this configuration is to create an effective combined subsonic / full power platform for hunting and tactical situations.

6.8 Bison Subsonic Platform (6.8 BSP)
Well im not planning on shooting subs but that is one are where the 6.8 will definitely not outperform the blackout. When going Subsonic velocity is the same so all you have is mass and diameter the 300bo beats the 6.8 in both. I rely do not understand the 6 8 Subsonic thing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM If you did you would understand the 6.8 out performs the 300wtf that is why Bison developed it to prove it. Guess you had to be there for Ben at Bison to explain as I am not smart enough to remember or explain.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, the right ammo out of a SBR blackout does very well at stopping hogs. The one in my avatar was hit in the neck with one of my handloads with the 110 barnes. He took a couple steps before folding up and dying. I can't remember his exact weight but it was around 250-275 range.
But I've still shot a lot and had them run off. But have recovered much more.
Ammo I've had good luck with is 110 barnes black tips, 110 varmageddon (I guess the lower velocity keeps it from splashing and not getting penetration but it does surprisingly well.), 125 nosler ballistic tip, and even the 120 OTM remington cheapos do well.
I'm anxious to try the cavity back bullets, maker bullets, and the hornady GMX 110 grain.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What you mean full power? A shorter barrel will lose velocity the shorter it is. What kind of speed and energy is the 10.5" producing?

My 12.5" 6.8 w/ 95gr TTSX's is producing 2404 FPS and 1219 ft-lbs @ 100 yards
How much velocity do you get with the 120 SST from that barrel?

I get a little past 2200 with my 10" BLK when using 110 grain bullets. And a little past 2000 with 125 grain. I don't have a 6.8.

Thanks.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How much velocity do you get with the 120 SST from that barrel?

I get a little past 2200 with my 10" BLK when using 110 grain bullets. And a little past 2000 with 125 grain. I don't have a 6.8.

Thanks.
2374 FPS at muzzle from my 12.5" suppressed *** 6.8 barrel with the 120 SST
*corrected fps after looking at notes*

Last edited:

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
2410 FPS at muzzle from my 12.5" suppressed *** 6.8 barrel with the 120 SST
Is that hand load or factory? Either way, it's pretty good for such a short barrel.

On paper or computer prediction, there may not be much difference. But personally, I like the higher velocity whenever possible for hunting.

Last edited:

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that hand load or factory? Either way, it's pretty good for such a short barrel.

On paper or computer prediction, there may not be much difference. But personally, I like the higher velocity whenever possible for hunting.
Factory load

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HD you only lost 50 FPS from 12.5 to 16? I must be losing 400 with my 8.5" 6.8 barrel

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HD you only lost 50 FPS from 12.5 to 16? I must be losing 400 with my 8.5" 6.8 barrel

Checked my notes and it was 2374 fps average using a Magnetospeed V3 chronograph.

Hornady claims 2460 fps with a 16" barrel but I'd be willing to bet that it is faster out of the *** tube.

Last edited: