I went hog hunting with 300 Blackouts!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I was switching between my LWRC 6.8 SBR, and my 16" MC5 6.8 but the Noveske guys came down to hunt with me were using sbr blackouts.

I have to say with premium ammo the 300 Blackouts did very well. Now I think our farthest shot was maybe 50 yards and the average shot was close to 20 yards so take that into consideration. Also I do not think one single hog was DRT but they were all rendered incapable of moving so thats good enough for me.

Most of the hogs were single boars that let us get right up on them, we only ran into two groups during the hunt one fairly large sounder of at least 30 that was way stretched out, and a group of five. The large sounder was very spread out thin and mixed in with the calves so we had a very small window to shoot. With a short 3-2-1-fire countdown everyone knocked down at least one hog before they ere in the no fire area.

With the group of five they were on the side of a private ranch road right next to a gate we needed to get through. As we turned a corner approaching the gate they spotted us at the same time I spotted them, luckily they did the whole if we dont move they wont see us thing (big mistake on their part). The Noveske guys were in the back seat so I told them both to get out and use the IR lasers since the hogs were about to run. It was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while they both got out hit their lasers and worked the whole group over, not one hog escaped. From inside the truck it looked like something out of starwars with the select fire ar's, gun smoke, and lasers going everywhere. The sad thing is I did not even try to record it, in fact I only took a few pictures and no video the whole weekend, it was a refreshing change for me but I'm regretting it now.

As for the blackout after watching them hit these hogs it was a total of 27 for the weekend combined I think Im going to give the blackout a spin again. I still think the 6.8 outperforms the 300BO but getting full power (the quivelant of a 30/30) out of a 10" barrel has a certain appeal to me.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun successful weekend with an awesome crew! And the title is great!

JPK

LSB Active Member
A 10.5" carbine with a suppressor ends up about the same length as a 16". Makes a handy package!

Great photos, and congrats, but I am also regretting you didn't video!

JPK

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good hogs down!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good write up and good pics! Sounds like a fun filled weekend.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm waiting for DJ to chime in with his "if you don't have photos it didn't happen" comments.

I'm envious! Sounds like one heck of a night!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A 10.5" carbine with a suppressor ends up about the same length as a 16". Makes a handy package!

Great photos, and congrats, but I am also regretting you didn't video!

JPK

Yes I'm going to get one and try it out.

And yes I totally bombed it not recording the laser shot it was pretty sweet.

D

djones

I'm waiting for DJ to chime in with his "if you don't have photos it didn't happen" comments.
he knows the rules...
Whip_zps2s7vdxjn.gif

the guy on the end is my favorite. no... the other end. he looks like he knows how to hog party

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like fun. Yep I tried to tell you guys, my blackout was a deadly dude, anchoring hogs more often than not with the blacktips. I only went 6.8 for cheaper ammo and less guesswork at longer ranges.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like fun. Yep I tried to tell you guys, my blackout was a deadly dude, anchoring hogs more often than not with the blacktips. I only went 6.8 for cheaper ammo and less guesswork at longer ranges.
My only angst with the caliber is the BS antics by the developer of the round. I'll never own an AAC product because of that knucklehead's behavior towards the 6.8. Had he NOT brought it to market in the manner in which he did, my opinion would've been to allow it to prove itself and find its own niche.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My only angst with the caliber is the BS antics by the developer of the round. I'll never own an AAC product because of that knucklehead's behavior towards the 6.8. Had he NOT brought it to market in the manner in which he did, my opinion would've been to allow it to prove itself and find its own niche.

Which person is this? There are several that claim to be the founder?

I've watched time and time again the 300bo let multiple hogs run off, but with some of these new bullets out there a light rifle in a short package delivering full power sounds good to me.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What you mean full power? A shorter barrel will lose velocity the shorter it is. What kind of speed and energy is the 10.5" producing?

My 12.5" 6.8 w/ 95gr TTSX's is producing 2404 FPS and 1219 ft-lbs @ 100 yards

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What you mean full power? A shorter barrel will lose velocity the shorter it is. What kind of speed and energy is the 10.5" producing?

My 12.5" 6.8 w/ 95gr TTSX's is producing 2404 FPS and 1219 ft-lbs @ 100 yards
300 blackout fool, not 6.8 300 Bo has reached full power at 10.5" I have noticed significant energy loss with my 12.7" 6.8, and the 95gr TTSX is already gimped out of any barrel.

I would actully choose the 110 Barnes blacktip in 300bo over the 95gr TTSX in 6.8 in most hunting situations.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
300 blackout fool, not 6.8 300 Bo has reached full power at 10.5" I have noticed significant energy loss with my 12.7" 6.8, and the 95gr TTSX is already gimped out of any barrel.

I would actully choose the 110 Barnes blacktip in 300bo over the 95gr TTSX in 6.8 in most hunting situations.

I know that you're talking about the 300!! What I asked was what do you mean full power? Do you mean that it has burned all of the powder in 10.5"? From 16" to 10" the 300 BO loses about 200 FPS, depending on the bullet. So a 16" will have more power than the 10".

I just threw the 6.8 numbers up there hoping someone would have the numbers on a 300 in SBR

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which person is this? There are several that claim to be the founder?

I've watched time and time again the 300bo let multiple hogs run off, but with some of these new bullets out there a light rifle in a short package delivering full power sounds good to me.
Rob Silvers. Not only was he affiliated with AAC, but, claimed to be on the Remington R&D staff as well. His behavior on 68forums was bad enough... but, his tactics on every other forum he could get access to was even worse towards the 6.8 (all his lies). He got himself banned from a good number of the forums for his behavior and tactics.