Hog Plate Penetration Testing

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I have access to a couple hundred outdated phone books and wondered if submerging them in water (5 gallon bucket)for 24hrs and binding (tight) them together would simulate a hog plate.

What ya'll think?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think we need another video to gawk at. Sounds like a great topic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think a real boar hog would be more entertaining

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can't you do it out hunting? OR one of the guys here leaving hogs lie after killing them may donate an animal and location...

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I'm in the load development stages and trying to see what works best.

My range is 10 miles and my hunting is 60 miles.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to use real plates and balistic gel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
gotcha guys, just alot more accurate w real hogs, lots more viewers and entertainment value, besides being real life. Not trying to start trouble or an argument...lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Either way is educational I just have access to all the components for the real hogs and gel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah but I want entertaining and cutting open the hogs...nothing like the real deal!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have access to a couple hundred outdated phone books and wondered if submerging them in water (5 gallon bucket)for 24hrs and binding (tight) them together would simulate a hog plate.

What ya'll think?

I think wet phonebooks are what the self defense shooting guys use to simulate human tissue.

The problem with trying to simulate hog shoulder plates is that they are extremely variable in thickness. They are not a uniform medium within an individual or between individuals.

Related article
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Wound+Database/Boar+shoulder+shields.html

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want to see what some of my .458 bullets will do to hog plates. See if they are moving fast enough to break through and still cause internal damage. Some of the 458 bullets like the hollow points are not that tuff and might not stay together

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd suggest some 405 gr. GC HC lead at moderate speeds for deep penetration with the .458 Blunderbuss. That's what the boys had good results with in the .45/70 for bison (back in the day).

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 525gr gcfn hard cast I would love to see testing done with

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... you're on the right track with those.

chthump

LSB Member
22LR up to 30-06, according to the situation. Looks good on paper, but it all changes when you make first contact.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First contact with the 525gr is all I need. I have a hog hunt coming up so I have been doing some load testing. I'm shooting groups of 5 all touching at 100 yards. The problem with shooting a half inch bullet is 2 bullets touching is still a 1" group. I did get a string at 50 yards where I put 4 through the same hole and had one flier off by less than the width of another bullet in between. I think I have these bullets figured out. Now I just need to order more because I'm down to my last 100

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you still have 100 bullets, that's like 200 dead pigs with those.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
First contact with the 525gr is all I need. I have a hog hunt coming up so I have been doing some load testing. I'm shooting groups of 5 all touching at 100 yards. The problem with shooting a half inch bullet is 2 bullets touching is still a 1" group. I did get a string at 50 yards where I put 4 through the same hole and had one flier off by less than the width of another bullet in between. I think I have these bullets figured out. Now I just need to order more because I'm down to my last 100
Two 1/2" holes touching is still a half inch group. Group size is measured center to center.