Game Camara Thread

Navygator

LSB Active Member
About the only hog I "saw" last week was this guy on the feeder in the lower part of the property. He (I assume since the hog is always alone) had been coming out around 1 am at random days. I was going to setup to try and get a shot at him but we ended up building a feeding pen right next to this feeder (a three foot high fence with a protein feeder inside-for deer only) and he didn't come back for the rest of my visit.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice big old boar, good luck!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Was cleaning up some files and found this from our property in OK from last year. This buck had never shown up on game cameras but it actually walked up the feeder next to the house in broad daylight, during the middle of the day (during deer season). I took the opportunity to "shoot it" with my 35mm camera. There was a huge crosswind so I was able to use our pole barn as visual coverage and walk to within 30 yards of this deer. First picture is from our back porch, second is from the pole barn.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice buck ! Heavy in the neck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Super Deer!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He's a dandy! I am tossed between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old. Next time shoot him and check his teeth. lol

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Three and a half

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang nice buck. Those brow times are tall!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
4 1/2 maybe. We need Garza to weigh in on this one.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Any of you deer experts guess an age? I was thinking around 4 years but I am not a deer guy at all.

What Month was the photo taken in? What I'm trying to figure out is of the photo was taken pre, post, or during the rut. I've seen 2yr olds that took 4 and vice versa just because of the time of year.

Another thing is that he may be younger than many of us think, deer up there are a different sub species and can have different physical traits, plus they rut earlier. IIRC There are 32 recognized sub species of white tailed deer in the USA.

As a general rule, the father away from the equator you go, the heavier an animal gets and the shorter the appendages get. Humans are one of the only exceptions to this.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah, Bermann's and Allen's rules. It has been forever since I heard those mentioned! Humans are a great example because we adapt to the environment indirectly via culture (or so it is posited) and so don't necessarily always fit the rule.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
What Month was the photo taken in? What I'm trying to figure out is of the photo was taken pre, post, or during the rut. I've seen 2yr olds that took 4 and vice versa just because of the time of year.

Another thing is that he may be younger than many of us think, deer up there are a different sub species and can have different physical traits, plus they rut earlier. IIRC There are 32 recognized sub species of white tailed deer in the USA.

As a general rule, the father away from the equator you go, the heavier an animal gets and the shorter the appendages get. Humans are one of the only exceptions to this.

Late November, about 90 miles SE of Oklahoma City.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ah, Bermann's and Allen's rules. It has been forever since I heard those mentioned! Humans are a great example because we adapt to the environment indirectly via culture (or so it is posited) and so don't necessarily always fit the rule.

Yup, I think about those 2 rules a lot during deer season with all the questions I get about deer biology and physiology.

It is also thought that humans did follow these rules but as the industrial revolution changed HOW we live and how easily we can move around the globe, we no longer need to follow those rules for survival as we are not exposed to the elements on a daily basis and have A/C and heat to mediate the about of body heat that needs to be lost or conserved.

I personally think we still see remnants of this within large groups of people within a given region but I have no days to back that up, it's all just observation.

Late November, about 90 miles SE of Oklahoma City.

That would lead me to believe that he is either just about to begin rutting or has just recently begun. If I saw that buck down here I would think he is 3.5 years old maybe 4.5 in that picture. Given that he is in OK, (even though it sounds pretty close to the Texas state line in your description), my educated guess would be either 2.5 or 3.5 years old. When it comes down to it, regardless of who is doing the aging, it is just an estimate. Even looking at the teeth or sending a tooth to be checked is only so accurate.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rehearsal for a porko-flick.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm sure they are just playing as youngsters.

these are hogs

note the darkness all around them?

sure sign that they are actual live hogs

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PICT0029.JPG

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor