Frostbite prevention?

Pork Popper

LSB Member
I'm moving to where the weather gets mighty cold in the NW. Trying to decide on which insulated boots to purchase for hunting and outdoor work. I'll be wearing wool socks. Two pair at a time if possible. Think I'll try out some GI issue cold weather socks as well as long johns too.

Does anyone here have cold weather experience? I'm talking about below zero temps combined with snow and fierce winds. The subject of frostbite isn't something to treat lightly. Do I need loose fitting boots as far as room around the feet? I'm buying a boot dryer. Heard that too tight fitting insulated boots are more likely to allow frostbite. Don't know how accurate this is. Just want to be fully prepared for the weather.

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
1000 Grams thinsulate boots or more work just fine and they are not awkward to wear and move in. Buy them there they will be cheaper (that is what I have found out) they will be on sale shortly.The rest you will find what works for where you are at. Unless you are on a coast where 20 degrees in the midwest is not like 20 along the Texas coast where it is cold and wet!! BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Riding 4 wheelers in cold you need good Sorels/Pak boots. Have many hundreds of hours riding atv's in winter. You get little blood flow to the feet when sitting long periods. Fleece socks and/or dry wick socks are best. Fleece only when -20 or so. You get used to the cold but extremities need good protection. Tough to get a good Pak boot in a stirrup.
Layers are the key and cotton kills. Avoid sweating by removing/adding layers as needed. Today's clothing rocks, we used to cross rivers waist deep in blue jeans in 10 degree weather and hunt the other side frozen solid and never died. LOL

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Remember the saying your mom always said? If your hands/feet are cold... put a hat on. Most of your body heat escapes from head/neck/armpits/groin. Keep those covered and the core will not be pulling blood FROM your extremities to keep warm.

Concur... wear layers. Avoid cotton, it holds moisture. Before "frostbite", you must be more careful of "hypo-thermia". Moisture pulls heat away from your body 25x faster than dry air does. Wool will keep you warm even when wet. Yes, TIGHT fitting boots will get you cold faster. It compresses your insulating layer(s). Insulation is all about dead air space. Some folks get cold feet much faster than others, and require warmer boots. Some folks can deal with lighter boots to keep from their feet from sweating. Listen to your hooves. Have dry socks to change into if needed.

Define "cold". I lived in the high arctic for 20 winters. I've endured cold snaps of -45F that went on for weeks at a time. I've seen -70F ambient, with winds howling out of Siberia. After a spell like that, -20F and calm is "warm". It's all a matter of perspective.

Also, humidity matters. A DRY cold is much easier to deal with than when it's WET. Just like a DRY heat isn't as miserable as MUGGY heat. A WET cold goes through your bones. A DRY cold isn't as miserable, but can induce frostbite quicker, and sneak up on you.

Light gloves inside of mittens will keep your hands warmer, and you can pull the mittens off to have the dexterity of light gloves for a short need (shooting). A fur "ruff" around the edge of a hood will keep a pocket of warmer air (exhaled breath) next to your face, to help in keeping your from breathing in frigid air.

An "oiled" piece of gear (gun actions) will freeze/lock-up in EXTREME cold... so, a different plan of attack needs to be considered.

When out in the wilderness in COLD climate, it's imperative to have some emergency gear on your body. A means of Cover (shelter), Cordage, a Cutting tool, Container for water/food (thawing/cooking), Combustion materials for being able to start a fire when you're COLD/WET/Shaking, Calories for emergency (Ramen Noodles, Jerky, Energy Bars), Basic First Aid kit, Rx on hand for a few days, a compass to keep your bearings. A note pad/pencil for note taking, an LED flashlight/headlight (spare batteries). With a fire, one can boil water/melt snow for water purification... so, a metal container to do that in is worthy. There are a LOT of YouTube videos out there to help you settle on what gear will be good kit for your needs. Something light/compact will be grabbed to wear much faster than a bulky/heavy pack. Heavier gear can be hauled on your conveyance (quad/horse/vehicle...).

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm a sitka fan boy..for hunting I recommend it. But keep in mind it is a system and works best when you use it correctly. Not just buying pants and a jacket.
But that goes for any type of cold weather gear. If I were you I would look into some quality gear in a lightweight layering system. Base layers, insulators, and wind stoppers. That way you and take off layers and add more for what you need and still have great maneuverability.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My son goes to Canada bear and moose hunting and fishing almost every year. He says to wear merino wool under clothes and socks. It comes in different weights according to the temperature you will be in.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll relay what I think you should not do. My hands and feet get cold easily, so I bought the thickest snowsuit I could find from Cabela's. Once in the stand, I can sit comfortably for hours. But in getting to the stand, the suit is so thick that I end up sweating. Don't get too thick of a suit if you plan on moving a lot.

yfarm

I routinely run outside down to 10 below, synthetic fabrics to get rid of moisture. Sitting on a horse or 4 wheeler is very different, guides and ranchers use Whites and Kenetrek pac boots, Schnees used to be good as well but company was sold by original owners. All make boots designed to fit stirrups, Sorels won't work well. Get a set of Refrigiwear coveralls for sitting in cold temps.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Schnees used to be good as well but company was sold by original owners.
Schnees are the coldest boot I ever wore. Had some in Montana, not recommended!

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I worked up north alot installing power transformers with my previous job. I found some thin polyproplene sock liners that were about like a stocking almost. That paired with some heavy weight Farm To Feet wool Socks and insulated boots worked great even down to -20*.
The best thermal bottoms ive used were Polartec PolyProprolyene with the grid look to them along with some carhart flannel lined pants and some type of bibs to cut the wind.
Now i got cold sometimes but for the most part it was bearable. Traveling from Phoenix where it was 90* to North Dakota where it was -30* then to South Texas where it was 100*, i couldnt pack that many cold weather clothes in my luggage so i had to figure out what worked.

D

djones

i just leave the heater on high, blowing of the floor and try not to be out of the truck too long

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i just leave the heater on high, blowing of the floor and try not to be out of the truck too long
I can see that (your affinity for hot air, that is.) :cool:

Pork Popper

LSB Member
Thanks very much guys for the great info. I appreciate it much. Having to delay plans a bit, as my mom was just diagnosed with cancer. She's in quite a bit of pain and is back in the hospital now to try and stop it.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Prayers for your family, and healing for your mom.