Four but should have been more!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I should let Afalex write this he tells a much better story but here goes.

I was hunting with Afalex and one of his friends up here in Wichita. A farmer up here had complained to Alex that the hogs were destroying his irrigation system in a new pecan orchard.
Soon as we arrived Afalex said he thought he spotted a hog but I had nothing on night vision or thermal. We got down wind and started a stalk to see what it was. Once we got to about 100 yards we could all three see something black but it was small and not moving at all. With the thermal I could see it was hot but it looked like two small hot spots not a pig. Finally as we were about to pass it up it moved sure enough it was a hog.
We decided to try the blackout on this one since it was alone. We stalked to about 50 yards but this hog was still almost invisible to the nv and thermal! I turned on the IR illuminator and could still barely see him but his eyes were glowing so I guesstimated where his ear was and fired.
Phsssst thump and he was running! All I could think was crappy .300 blackout! So I fired six more times and Afalex fired twice. Finally he was down.
Was about a 200 pound white boar with black spots that was coated in mud! That's why he didn't show up on the nv or thermal the perfect camo insulated and blended in at the same time just like Arnold on predator one!!!
This guy was very well ventilated my first shot just right behind the ear but about an inch high of the spine. The 220gr bullet tumbled and made a pretty good exit wound. The rest were just through and through holes 30 caliber in 30 caliber out.

So we drug him off went to check the other orchards game cams and pig pipes. Had activity on the cameras but we had missed them. So we went back to the original new orchard. Soon as we pulled in I saw them with the thermal 15-20 hogs! We set up the thermal actually remembered to hit record and made our stalk. Now I don't know if its because I've night blinded myself looking through the thermal or what. But when we got setup to do the countdown, I could not see without my Ir illuminator. Afalex was getting washed out by the illuminator so I turned it off. I picked the one hog I could see without it and we counted down. Three two one fire! Soon as I fired that was it for me could not see without the illuminator. I could hear the hogs running all around us and them shooting but I was useless. After it was all over there were three more dead hogs including a 240lb pregnant sow!

Tonight I'm using my illuminator! ;)

Pics and video later!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
tagged for the video

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like you're back to huntin' squirrels with that thing. LOL But, made for a good tale. Standin' by for the f/u shots... errr... tales/pix/vids

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Doesn't make you feel a warm and fuzzy when you have to fire 7 times to get a good kill. I sold my BO because no matter what, bullets wouldn't expand and do any damage. Sold it and got my 30 hrt barrel. That will be the first pistol once I start building

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Doesn't make you feel a warm and fuzzy when you have to fire 7 times to get a good kill. I sold my BO because no matter what, bullets wouldn't expand and do any damage. Sold it and got my 30 hrt barrel. That will be the first pistol once I start building
Well the first one tumbled but a 6.8 would have taken him out with shock I believe. The blackout is fun to shoot and will be good for coons and urban environments. Will need more testing. If Remington ever releases the 220gr bullet that expands subsonic then we may have a winner.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess it is time for my account of the same story. When we got to the large group of hogs I simply told TLM I could see them without the illuminator. So he took that as I couldn't see if he had it on. Next time we will all have them on.

We did the count down, dropped a hog and they were running. I fired again and jammed! Dave jammed at nearly the same time. The majority of the hogs broke left to Dave leaving TLM unable to shoot. I had to drop the mag, swipe out the round, and rack another to clear the jam. By the time I was back on line Dave took out one more and TLM was cussing everything. LOL!!!!

We got done shooting at the major group and I happened to spot a large hog just hanging out in the distance. I shot and it dropped then we all missed the smaller straggler that was with it.

We are all happy for the hogs we were able to get but with multiple equipment issues at once we still did OK. If they are back tonight we will do better.

The video helps explain it all really well. There is some cool muzzle blast, brass flying, and hogs running in it too.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
there are a couple makers of expanding bullets for the 300 Blackout and others, but man they are expensive, I'll stick with the 208 Amax's...

anyways, still sounds like fun....

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have some 208 amax but have not loaded them yet. Are they better than the 220 round nose? I figured at sub sonic the more weight the better?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I say just throw them at hogs, get the same effect

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey whatever works, I think the BO can be used effectively, it just has to be worked out for the best package the way you will be using it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey whatever works, I think the BO can be used effectively, it just has to be worked out for the best package the way you will be using it.
It is no way going to be my main hog slayer not even close! But it will be a specialty item for concerning situations. I'm going to order some specialty subsonic expanding bullets.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would like to try it on coons and possums, I tried mine on hogs and had your same results. I practically had do mag dump to drop him. That's too many shots for my comfort