First Wild Pheasant

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, I met this young man named Carter last spring when he came out for a merit badge and training day with his Scout troop. He was a natural! Never fired a shotgun before but was breaking clays at 75% or better. His dad was with him and we got to talking about Carter’s interest in shooting and hunting. I gave dad my card and told him to feel free to contact me if Carter wanted to come out again for some free wingshooting instruction.

A few weeks later I get a call from Carter’s mom. Turns out the shooting/hunting tradition is from her side of the family. Carter’s grandfather had recently passed away and that was who had been teaching Carter about hunting. Carter had gone deer hunting the year before and taken his first doe. His mom wanted to support his interest and asked to come out and learn about firearms for herself so that she could help him. His grandfather left his gun collection to Carter, so she knew that she 12-23-16-2.jpg had a lot to learn before bringing the guns into her home.

Mom and Carter came out to the range with me a few times to learn about firearm basics, safety, cleaning/maintenance, etc. Mom was fearful but a really good sport and tried shooting everything.

Since then, I’ve taken Carter and mom out several times to shoot and hunt with me. We weren’t able to spot a buck for Carter, but you’ve never seen a kid enjoy the outdoor experience as much as this one does. He’s serious, safe, focused and passionate about it. This is the future of our sport right here.

Happy to report that Carter was able recently to take his first wild pheasant on my club’s private property! It flushed about thirty yards out and he put it down with my borrowed 20g over/under.

Special thanks to my buddy Andy for bringing out his dogs for Carter’s first successful bird hunt.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Cazz! Carter is lucky to have you take his grandfathers place.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are a good man to pass along our traditions and a love of nature to future generations!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job Cazz, just what we need and training the Mom to is a real PLUS.

Well done Carter!!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go to teach the young man!! And awesome that the mom is supportive!! Happy hunting to to you all.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job Cazz and congrats to Carter on his success.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! Where is that? Looks like eastern Colorado.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks all. I am so impressed with Carter's mom who is dedicated to supporting him. That's rare here in Illinois, where the anti's outnumber the sane people. The photo was taken at The Aurora Sportsmen's Club in Waterman, IL where we have a nice wild pheasant population that has established itself over the past few years in about 280 acres of natural habitat.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent. Grew up hunting birds in Wisconsin but my teen and older years the numbers were way down from when I was the bird dog.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good on ya girl !!! Always a joy to help a youngster along... and bring down the apprehension from a parent with some good ol' teachin'. Nice work!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya! Now that is what its all about!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good on ya ma'am! Thanks for sharing!