Cellular Cameras

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been using Covert Spec Ops Code Black camera for a few months now with some decent success along with some frustration (which apparently isn't the fault of the cameras). The best part of the cameras is getting regular images from the field that come to my email/cell phone and I can keep track of the animal activity without being there, but still feeling connected to activity on the property.

The frustrating part has been two-fold. First, while there is a cell tower just a few hundred yards from my place and cell signal is excellent (AT&T carrier), for a couple of months, pics became very irregular. Thinking it was the camera, I would bring a camera home and put it in the back yard and get 150 emailed pics of my dog running around which indicated that the camera was functioning and I would compare those images against the card and there would be 150 images of my dog, so 100% of the pics were sent given the settings used. Back in the field, I was getting maybe 1 in 10 images sent to me. This has largely corrected itself and I don't know why. I blame the 3rd party cell tower as AT&T claims to be innocent.

So the second problem is this. While I feel more connected to my property by being able to see images in near real-time, my frustration level goes through the roof as I sit at home watching these come up one by one as I did this morning. I awoke to the sound of my phone buzzing with a message and managed to catch the last few as they were sent. You may have to look close on some to see the problem. There is cellular viewing from home, but I can't hunt from home.
http://s627.photobucket.com/user/Ho...3 July 30 Shoats in the Morning?sort=3&page=1

So are any of the rest of you using cellular cameras and if so, what makes/models and how well are they working for you?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My old boss had a place on the Terlingua Ranch he had web cams set up on the feeders and his house. You just logged in and could watch what was going on. The long trip down there and only getting to go twice a year max made them justifiable.

Only other thing I've used that is close we're the traps that send you pics to your phone so you could decide when to set the trap. Those were on the big 10,000 acre ranch. No expense was spared out there.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That kind of thing would keep me awake at night and I would probably be fired from my job because of all the time I would call in sick. Cool game can though.