Boring hunting story because nobody else has one.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I volunteered to help a buddy on his deer lease yesterday. I decided to do the shredding on the sendaroes.Typical brush country, mesquite, cactus and a lot of dust already. And the fact that it was hotter than blue blazes turned into a long, hot scratchy itchy day. Not to mention the fact that I have poison oak in places I didn't know I had places from setting up a tree stand last week wearing shorts and cut off t shirt. Smart.
So deer box stands aren't my favorite thing to sit in especially when it's 100 deg. out but I was looking forward to sitting and relaxing. I get to my blind and the sun is in my eyes, no biggie, climb the ladder and get in. Wow, so hot in there, direct sun shining on it. I go to open the windows but realize there are wasp nests on them on the outside. Crap. I have to get some air. I crack open a side window and the little nasty things start coming in cause I disturbed them. They are so fast, I'm trying to defend myself but got stung in the knee and the hand. Dang it, have to close the windows, soooo hot I'm drenched in sweat already. Now I just want out, my buddy isn't answering my text so I guess I'm on my own. So I hit the plexi window trying to knock the big nest down but the window falls out on the floor and they all come in for a piece of me. Not good. It took a lot of patience and sweat but slowly worked the window back in place and got down out of there. Too long a story to give all the details but it was rough I tell ya. So glad to be on the ground again, I walk around the corner to a feeder nearby, a 50# hog is eating, must have been watching me up there and figured I was no threat. He sees me and heads into the brush, I drop to one knee and wait, sweat is running in my eyes so I wipe my forhead on my shirt, just then he bolts for the other side of the road. I got off a quick sweaty shot, I found wet spots in the sand but not sure if it was blood or a gut shot. Anyways, that country if they don't drop you don't find them, which I didn't. End of story.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An adventure for the "let's just forget this" book. Stinging plants, and then stinging insects too! Man... that just plain bites (so to speak).

Hopefully, all that effort and trouble has netted you a good deer hunting spot this fall.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am so allergic to poison oak and wasps it would be Dr. Time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate all you went thru, wasps and itchy things...sorry for your pain!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It wasn't bad, just a daily adventure but the heat has been rough on me this year for some reason. Maybe getting old. lol

chthump

LSB Member
I was driving down to the river and spotted a hog looking at me from about 120yds, I stopped the truck, killed it, had to turn the key back on to roll down the window (private land, cattle pasture), then my elbow hit the horn while I was getting the rifle, the hog was just standing there looking at me like, figuring this dufas is no threat. I even got it on video, horn honking and all. I was really smooth that day. Not. (had to edit, "a hog looking at me", yes, he saw me first)

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, the heat has been rough on me this year too, worse than ever.

I love the honking the horn at them for distraction...lol

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We NEED to see the video. Sounds too good.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It wasn't bad, just a daily adventure but the heat has been rough on me this year for some reason. Maybe getting old. lol
are you drinking enough water? My kids call me Mr. hydration.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, the heat has been rough on me this year too, worse than ever.

I love the honking the horn at them for distraction...lol

I was in Destin, FL about two weeks ago ... and it was definitely hot but also HUMID.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well darn, if here let me know, will buy you a beer! lease is closer to Panama City but live over this way

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I,like my camel back when out for long periods

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
CamelBaks rock ! Bought one back when I was doing cross country motorcycle trips every year. My 5.11 packs hold it as well.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
True, I have 2 Camel Backs for desert/mountain riding dirt bikes. I forgot. Need to dig them out. I keep the bladders in the freezer so they don't get smelly.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you do mean a camel toe? LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas